The Student Room Group

Has my teacher made a mistake.. or is an A really out of my reach?

Close to receiving my A-level results for (fast-track) Travel and Tourism. I have just been told by my teacher, that I will not be able to receive and A overall, it’s so disappointing and I just can’t really comprehend how it's true.

So, each AS and A2 level grade is 60% coursework and 40% exam.

AS
*For my AS coursework I received A. (40% of AS grade)
*For the AS exam I am expecting to get an A. (60% of AS grade)

A2
* Predicted an A in the exam (40% of AS grade)
* The coursework I submitted was relatively good (IMO) I thought it would be at least a B or C at the lowest. (60% of AS grade)

My teacher has told me today I can not reach an A for the whole A-level, regardless of how well I do in my AS/ A2 exams, (even if I get 100%,APPARENTLY its impossible to get an A overall).

I can’t understand how my coursework can have let me down so much, that an A is now insurmountable considering that 70% of my whole A-level is at an A grade (AS coursework, A2 exam and AS exam) and 75% is the grade boundary for an A overall.

I don't know if she's made a mistake or if my coursework was a whole lot worse than I thought it was... which if I'm honest I struggle to believe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
What UMS have you got and how much is the

AS coursework UMS out of
AS exam UMS out of

A2 coursework UMS out of
A2 exam UMS out of
If you find out that an A is not achievable, surely that will be detrimental to your work ethic? I've never understood students who calculate all their grades to figure out what they can achieve, you're either a) Detrimentally affecting your work ethic when you realize the grade you want is impossible to reach or B) Wasting time doing calculations if the grade you want is within your reach.

Just work hard - that's the only thing that you can do to affect the outcome. Pissing about with a calculator, worrying about it, writing about it on the internet etc will not change your grade. Hard work and focus will. You're actively pursuing an answer which could really affect the amount of effort that you put into your work (if you find out that a B is the Max grade you can get - that will affect your focus). Just go and study. Your teacher is foolish to even tell you that an A is beyond your reach - even if it is.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Nothing is ever beyond your reach, no matter how impossible it may seem. Oh that sounds quite cheesy but its true! Lets just say your teacher hasnt calculated wrong, what will you do? You worked so hard for last uh, 2 years so just work hard for another month? Hopefully the teacher has calculated it wrongly, I don't get how its virtually impossible to not get A unless your coursework was like an E or U that could have brought it so much down. Have a talk with her? But nonetheless, don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest