The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry 24th May 2012 C1 C2 C3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by shadab786ahmed
No, it was paraffin because per unit which I said could be 0.6g it released 2.5x more energy than ethanol and petrol... So unless it was 2.5x more expensive it is the most sensible choice. :smile:

Yah i put paraffin too because it is also not that flammable compared to petrol and ethanol. whatever they were. :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by MangoFreak
Paraffin had the greatest ratio between temperature change and mass combusted, meaning it released the most energy :smile:

What do you mean by greatest ratio? :smile:
Reply 22
Is this the exam where the first question about the boiling point of LPG, and there was in C3 the first question was the amount of electrons in the outer shell of bromine?
Reply 23
Original post by milworthy
Is this the exam where the first question about the boiling point of LPG, and there was in C3 the first question was the amount of electrons in the outer shell of bromine?

I don't think this is the right paper. We never had that question. First question was about alkanes and alkenes and C3 was a graph question or something like that i believe:s-smilie:
Reply 24

No. :s-smilie: This is a different exam to yours- are you on the old syllabus (from 2006) or the new syllabus (from 2011). This exam paper is from the new syllabus
Reply 25
Original post by bossun
I don't think this is the right paper. We never had that question. First question was about alkanes and alkenes and C3 was a graph question or something like that i believe:s-smilie:

Ok, i was really worried that I had completely missed out papers. Is this the new specc paper.
Original post by bobbricks
What do you mean by greatest ratio? :smile:

Paraffin increased the temperature of the water by 25 degrees if I recall, while only burning 0.6g, whereas one of the other fuels only increased the temperature by 20 degrees, burning 1.2g. The other fuel was definately worse than that, I don't remember it specifically.

So the Paraffin increased the temperature of the water by 1 degree for every 0.024g of it, while the second fuel did the same for every 0.06g. I should have said smallest ratio, but basically the paraffin released more energy from a smaller amount.
Reply 27
yes thank goodness i did the old spec!!! Do you think there is a thread for the old specc.

I think electron shells are in C4 now, if they were ever in C3.
Reply 29
Paraffin increased the temperature of the water by 25 degrees if I recall, while only burning 0.6g, whereas one of the other fuels only increased the temperature by 20 degrees, burning 1.2g. The other fuel was definately worse than that, I don't remember it specifically.

So the Paraffin increased the temperature of the water by 1 degree for every 0.024g of it, while the second fuel did the same for every 0.06g. I should have said smallest ratio, but basically the paraffin released more energy from a smaller amount.

Oh okay, thanks. Sigh. I got that question wrong :frown: - how many marks did I lose for that question?
Per 0.6g because they were all multiples of it.. 1.2 and 1.8
Reply 31
yes thank goodness i did the old spec!!! Do you think there is a thread for the old specc.

I don't think so- I think you should create one! Remember to write Old Specification in the title so people don't get confused between this thread and your thread... :wink:
Per 0.6g because they were all multiples of it.. 1.2 and 1.8

Hmm? :holmes:
Oh okay, thanks. Sigh. I got that question wrong :frown: - how many marks did I lose for that question?

Well, you might have justified your answer in a way that got you a couple of marks. If you said that ethanol released more energy then yeah you probably lost marks. It was probably a 2 or 3 mark question. Definately, actually, I just have no idea which :ahee:
Only 2, but it could make the difference... BUT I'm sure it'll be fine!:awesome:
Hmm? :holmes:

They said
Paraffin was 0.6g and change was 25
Ethanol was 1.8g and change was 30
Petrol was 1.2g and change was 20

So per unit of 0.6g
Paraffin is 25
Ethanol is 10
Petrol is 10
They said
Paraffin was 0.6g and change was 25
Ethanol was 1.8g and change was 30
Petrol was 1.2g and change was 20

So per unit of 0.6g
Paraffin is 25
Ethanol is 10
Petrol is 10

Ah right.
Reply 37
How was it? Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?

For the thread on the OCR Gateway Biology 21st May exam--> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006071

I REALLY WANT THE UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME:mad:
Reply 38
Can someone possibly send me a like to the unofficial mark scheme for higher tire c1 c2 c3 fot the thursday 24th of may exam! Stressing out! what did you guys write for the six mark (whay has the rates of nitrates of oxides decreased) question o_O
Reply 39
Original post by gcseis
Can someone possibly send me a like to the unofficial mark scheme for higher tire c1 c2 c3 fot the thursday 24th of may exam! Stressing out! what did you guys write for the six mark (whay has the rates of nitrates of oxides decreased) question o_O

The question was all to do with catalytic converters, which change carbon monoxide/ oxides of nitrogen into carbon monoxide/ carbon dioxide.

CO is poisonous (since it binds with hameoglobin etc.); oxides of nitrogen causes photochemical smog and acid rain; sulphur dioxide causes acid rain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending