The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry 24th May 2012 C1 C2 C3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bobbricks
Same! :smile:

But there was one question I wasn't too sure about- the question on why drainpipes are used for water? I wrote pipes are rigid and do not dissolve in water

What you needed to say was that poly(ethene) is suitable to use for drain pipes because it is unreactive with water- so will not contaminate or effect the water. [1 mark] and then that the poly(ethene) is stond so durable for the use of carrying water.
Reply 41
The question was all to do with catalytic converters, which change carbon monoxide/ oxides of nitrogen into carbon monoxide/ carbon dioxide.

CO is poisonous (since it binds with hameoglobin etc.); oxides of nitrogen causes photochemical smog and acid rain; sulphur dioxide causes acid rain.

I forgot about the photochemical smog but did remember acid rain and the effects it has on limestone buildings and rives..
Reply 42
Original post by gcseis
What you needed to say was that poly(ethene) is suitable to use for drain pipes because it is unreactive with water- so will not contaminate or effect the water. [1 mark] and then that the poly(ethene) is stond so durable for the use of carrying water.

Is that the actual answer or what you wrote? :smile:
Reply 43
What did you write on the question about thermochromic pigments? I said the cup which changed colour from blue to red at 100 degrees Celcius was the best cup since it told you when the water was boiling...
What did you write on the question about thermochromic pigments? I said the cup which changed colour from blue to red at 100 degrees Celcius was the best cup since it told you when the water was boiling...

I wrote the same :smile: What did you write for the 6 mark C3 question? Oh and what did you get for the number of atoms? Was it 20?
Reply 45
Original post by MrMusicLTD
I wrote the same :smile: What did you write for the 6 mark C3 question? Oh and what did you get for the number of atoms? Was it 20?

Can't remember- what was the chemical formula again?

For the C3 six marker, I wrote about how the particles are more crowded which increases collision frequency when increasing concentration. Crushing the tablet increases surface area, so there are more surfaces of particles exposed which can spread throughout the mixture, increasing collision frequency. I also drew some diagrams to show this. :smile:

20 is what I wrote and I also wrote about
Concentration means more particles in same volume which means increased chance of collisions which increases chances of successful collisions.
Surface area increases so more particles exposed etc. And then also said heat and a catalyst could be used
Can't remember- what was the chemical formula again?

For the C3 six marker, I wrote about how the particles are more crowded which increases collision frequency when increasing concentration. Crushing the tablet increases surface area, so there are more surfaces of particles exposed which can spread throughout the mixture, increasing collision frequency. I also drew some diagrams to show this. :smile:

I can't remember, I only remember writing 20 haha :smile:

Yeah I wrote pretty much the same thing, what about the C2 6 mark one about concrete? Did you use all the information in the table? Oh and are you doing Physics on Wednesday?
Reply 48
I can't remember, I only remember writing 20 haha :smile:

Yeah I wrote pretty much the same thing, what about the C2 6 mark one about concrete? Did you use all the information in the table? Oh and are you doing Physics on Wednesday?

Yep, I'm doing Physics on Wednesday. I also have a mock exam for geography and a controlled assessment in French on the same day :angry:

Anyway, I used most of the information from the table but I can't remember what I wrote. However, I did use some of my own knowledge such as concrete is strong under compression but weak under tension/ steel makes concrete stronger and flexible (using evidence from the table) etc. I also wrote a reinforced concrete is a composite material since it contains two distinguishable materials :smile:

What did you write on the question about why aluminium is used with iron in electric wires?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by shadab786ahmed
20 is what I wrote and I also wrote about
Concentration means more particles in same volume which means increased chance of collisions which increases chances of successful collisions.
Surface area increases so more particles exposed etc. And then also said heat and a catalyst could be used

Do you remember what the question was? I can't seem to remember writing 20...Unless my memory is jogged by seeing what the question was :biggrin:
Do you remember what the question was? I can't seem to remember writing 20...Unless my memory is jogged by seeing what the question was :biggrin:

How many atoms are present in the compound:
Can't remember
I did this exam. I found it quite easy (much easier than the Biology OCR exam). I was confident on all the six mark questions and that was my only worry. Physics on the 30th, I hope that will be easy :biggrin:
Original post by magicmonkey1
I did this exam. I found it quite easy (much easier than the Biology OCR exam). I was confident on all the six mark questions and that was my only worry. Physics on the 30th, I hope that will be easy :biggrin:

Same! All of P3 is maths :biggrin: and physics itself is so easy...
Same! All of P3 is maths :biggrin: and physics itself is so easy...

Ikr! There were so many marks in the chemistry exam just for balancing equations, when they gave you the equations to balance. They've done half of the question!!!
Reply 54
What did you guys write for the effects of
-crushing the tablet?
-increasing temp?
on the rates of reaction
Reply 55
Im really upset that there was no questions on the allotropes of carbon i really revised that well :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Yeah, I liked the Chemistry exam. Got stuck on the ions and neutralisation q. I put that she used potassium oxide + nitric acid -> potassium nitrate. But, the ions question threw me. I put something along the lines of hydroxile ions (our Chemistry teacher insisted on saying that ionic bonding was not until C4)..

Then the other ions question threw me too, with regards to the sodium chloride electrolysis thing. Hm, I don't really know much about ionic bonding accept the basics, since we weren't taught it. But, I did think we might have a question related to it so I read up in my free time.
Original post by magicmonkey1
Ikr! There were so many marks in the chemistry exam just for balancing equations, when they gave you the equations to balance. They've done half of the question!!!

I know! The bromine and ethene was all done???
Original post by gcseis
Im really upset that there was no questions on the allotropes of carbon i really revised that well :s-smilie:

I know, didn't revise it but would have been easy marks :frown:
I know! The bromine and ethene was all done???

My teacher was like, learn all of these equations because they won't give it to you in the exam. Thanks for wasting my time miss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending