Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ELLB3 A2 - Rhetoric devices and Dramatic Effects?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me think of some more Rhetoric devices or Dramatic Effects as these are the key to getting a good grade in my English exam (AQA Language and Literature B - 11th June)
    I have a few i know but i could do with a little help?

Rhetorical Devices;
    Persuasion
    Rhetorical Question

Dramtic Devices
    Tension/Suspence
    Enumerictation for emphasis
    Dramatic Irony
    Pathos
    Catharsis
    Conflict
    Sexual Tension

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieBean)
    Hey,
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me think of some more Rhetoric devices or Dramatic Effects as these are the key to getting a good grade in my English exam (AQA Language and Literature B - 11th June)
    I have a few i know but i could do with a little help?

Rhetorical Devices;
    Persuasion
    Rhetorical Question

Dramtic Devices
    Tension/Suspence
    Enumerictation for emphasis
    Dramatic Irony
    Pathos
    Catharsis
    Conflict
    Sexual Tension

Thanks
    Whats pathos and catharsis?? i get really confused between linguistic, literary and rhetorical devises! ahh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laureneb10)
    Whats pathos and catharsis?? i get really confused between linguistic, literary and rhetorical devises! ahh
    Pathos is a feeling a pity within the audience and catharsis is a sudden emotional climax

Do you know any differnt ones? :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pathos is a feeling a pity within the audience and catharsis is a sudden emotional climax

Do you know any differnt ones? :/

Nooo i don't know anything! my teacher is pretty bad and we've not learnt any of this stuff! thanks for the other bit
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nooo i don't know anything! my teacher is pretty bad and we've not learnt any of this stuff! thanks for the other bit
    Its ok, has your teacher not given you a structure or anything? i can tell you the one i have learnt if you need it? I'm doing street car but i guess its still the same thing x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its ok, has your teacher not given you a structure or anything? i can tell you the one i have learnt if you need it? I'm doing street car but i guess its still the same thing x
    nope nothing! I've just been going on the three points you have to include and try and get a structure from that, but i dont really know what to include in it or anything! That would be amazing thank you!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nope nothing! I've just been going on the three points you have to include and try and get a structure from that, but i dont really know what to include in it or anything! That would be amazing thank you!!
    Ok:

I start with a bit of an introduction - like mine would be Williams presents the theme of ..... by ....
    So basically include the theme or whatever the question is based on and explain why you think that

Next paragraph i would include would be context, so talk about what happened BEFORE the extract involved and AFTER but make sure you think this back to the question so if the theme is death, include context that happened before the extract involving death, and the same for afterwards

Then include your paragraphs about the linguistic, literary and rhetorical devices, BUT start each paragraph with a dramatic effect that highlights it. For example you could say ' Williams shows pathos within the audience to allude to pity for Blanche as.... the hyphens used suggest her slipping of her mental state....
    So start the paragrahy with a dramtic device and then start to include on of your three devices. If you explain each well and give evidence for your findings and LINK BACK to your theme or main question you should be fine!

Im sorry if its not very well exlpained plus i have explained it in the context of streetcar as im not doing Hamlet sorry. I hope it helps
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok:

I start with a bit of an introduction - like mine would be Williams presents the theme of ..... by ....
    So basically include the theme or whatever the question is based on and explain why you think that

Next paragraph i would include would be context, so talk about what happened BEFORE the extract involved and AFTER but make sure you think this back to the question so if the theme is death, include context that happened before the extract involving death, and the same for afterwards

Then include your paragraphs about the linguistic, literary and rhetorical devices, BUT start each paragraph with a dramatic effect that highlights it. For example you could say ' Williams shows pathos within the audience to allude to pity for Blanche as.... the hyphens used suggest her slipping of her mental state....
    So start the paragrahy with a dramtic device and then start to include on of your three devices. If you explain each well and give evidence for your findings and LINK BACK to your theme or main question you should be fine!

Im sorry if its not very well exlpained plus i have explained it in the context of streetcar as im not doing Hamlet sorry. I hope it helps
    ahhh you're a life saver! thank you I would never have thought to do it like that!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ahhh you're a life saver! thank you I would never have thought to do it like that!
    No problem, my teachers really good and its a quite easy way of setting it out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I'm now absolutely terrified that it's on Monday ... I feel pretty comfortable on the unseen texts part of the exam, we've done a load of practice on it .... The paragraph structure that JodieBean put above looks awesome but I'm proper struggling relating it to Hamlet ...

Do you have any past essays you've written in this style so I can try and get my head around it? I know you do streetcar, I just think a longer example would help a lawttt x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa=))
    So I'm now absolutely terrified that it's on Monday ... I feel pretty comfortable on the unseen texts part of the exam, we've done a load of practice on it .... The paragraph structure that JodieBean put above looks awesome but I'm proper struggling relating it to Hamlet ...

Do you have any past essays you've written in this style so I can try and get my head around it? I know you do streetcar, I just think a longer example would help a lawttt x

I have attatched one i have done, it wasn't marked but my grades have been between B's and A*

Hope this helps x
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Spes paper - Realtionship between blanche and stella.docx (439.2 KB, 1348 views)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.