Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

New job requires reference.. where can i get one from in my situation?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was made redundant due to the store closing down. I've now been employed after 4 months but the job is asking for a reference. The store i worked at, the turnover was crazy and i had about 7 managers within 2 years, theyve all moved on.
    I have the deputy managers home address but not number :/ (useless i know)
    Where can i get a reference from?
    I was thinking, calling head office or HR for a generic one?

I'm only in my first year of university and asking my tutor who i've only spoken to once or twice would be weird :/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillysal)
    Directory enquiries should be able to tell you the number of the ex-manager, if you have a postal address. Phone and ask them if they can give you a reference. You can also try the company HQ if it still exists, but you will probably only get a technical reference, ie confirmation that you did work for them, the dates and that you were made redundant.

Your university staff will be used to giving references from people they only meet once per week or ever term. Just ask them and see what they say.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Directory enquiries should be able to tell you the number of the ex-manager, if you have a postal address. Phone and ask them if they can give you a reference. You can also try the company HQ if it still exists, but you will probably only get a technical reference, ie confirmation that you did work for them, the dates and that you were made redundant.

Your university staff will be used to giving references from people they only meet once per week or ever term. Just ask them and see what they say.
    Should i put head office or HQ because they have 2 different postal addresses?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should i put head office or HQ because they have 2 different postal addresses?
    You mean they have an address for a HQ and an address for a Head Office? They are usually one and the same thing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Use the Head Office as a reference, or the name of your last manager and the address of the (now closed) store.

Yes it doesn't exist I know, but it's not up to you to chase them up.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was made redundant due to the store closing down. I've now been employed after 4 months but the job is asking for a reference. The store i worked at, the turnover was crazy and i had about 7 managers within 2 years, theyve all moved on.
    I have the deputy managers home address but not number :/ (useless i know)
    Where can i get a reference from?
    I was thinking, calling head office or HR for a generic one?

I'm only in my first year of university and asking my tutor who i've only spoken to once or twice would be weird :/
    Get a good friend of yours to do it. Always did it until I got a manager that would give me a good reference. It works!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    Get a good friend of yours to do it. Always did it until I got a manager that would give me a good reference. It works!
    It works as long as no-one finds out. If they do, then you face immediate dismissal (without a reference) and you could both face legal action, should the employer choose.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ask your tutor, they will be used to writing references.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    not entirely recomended but i had a friend who just gave his dad as a refference to call and claimed he was his manager, worked a treat but as afore mentioned it can backfire...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.