The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Quick question; Is it ok to use a persona when answering the bigger mark questions or do you have to write from your point of view?
good luck to everyone taking the exam, hope you get the grades you want!
Reply 142
Are short sentences a language technique? As in can I use it for question 4, as my teacher gave me a sheet of language techniques and it is on there.. But it seems like more of something to do with structure

Help greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 143
Post copied from another less active thread as I would like some reassurance on structure of answers if possible:

This is what we have been guided to do in our exam

Q1) 4 Inferences paragraphs (Point, quote, comment on inference)
Q2) 4 presentation paragraphs (Point, quote, comment,link to text (and short explanation) and quote of text.)
Q3) 4 Inferences paragraphs (Point, quote, comment on inference)
Q4) 4 Paragraphs, Each has a point, quote, effect, compare comment, quote, effect - different/simmilar

Section B
Q1) The shorter text to be around 1 side to 1 side and a half

Q2) The longer text to be around 1 side and a half, to 2 sides.

And If we have time ( Which I won't) to check over and add more paragrahs to areas which some of the paragraphs might have been clumsy.

For example on Question 1 section A: "We learn that Hyde is going somewhere potentially hazardous. "Just two rules" The fact that there is a need for rules show there can be dangerous situations if Hyde does not follow them" X4 simmilar paragraphs

For example on Question 2 section A. On one of my mocks (Source was T-rex Sue) I wrote:
"The picture in the article shows how large T-rexes are to give a visual image to the reader. This links back to the text - "The world's Largest T-rex". This is done to emphasise on it's size"
This is meant to be 1/4 of the paragraphs for Q2 and be worth 2 marks.

Question 3 same as Question 1 but with more specific topic/question usually.

Question 4 example:

"Source 3 uses short sentences to emphasise the seriousness of the situation. " A decision was needed." The effect is to make it more dramatic for the reader as the duo have to make a life changing decision. The short sentence is used to show the lack of time the characters have to decide on what to do.
Source 1 also uses short sentences for a different effect. "rocks,rocks, everywhere." The effect is to emphasise on the quantity of rocks and how much scenery the character can see."

4 of those paragraphs aswell.

Anyone can help me out on where this style is correct?
Reply 144
For question 5, if we are asked to write a letter, and if the address of the receiver are not given, do we have to make one up or do we leave a space for the receiver address?
Reply 145
Original post by Karishma
definitely not, a teacher at my school taught this too and got into trouble because so many students lost time finding 8 points in one text when they only needed four! D:

Are you 100% SURE? I've had two English teachers and both have said we need 8 points :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by g.k.galloway
WOOO its the blue person :biggrin:

Haha - erm aren't you meant to be green ? Traitor :wink:
Reply 147
For Q1, you dont need to make inferences. I was looking and the mark schemes on the AQA website, and a model answer my teacher game me, and all you need to do is make 4 points and 4 quotes to go along with each of your points- make sure that they are relevant.
Original post by cloud19
For question 5, if we are asked to write a letter, and if the address of the receiver are not given, do we have to make one up or do we leave a space for the receiver address?

If you want an address, use your neighbours address and your own or even your school address.. Examiners want to see you can use the information, accuracy for Q5 is not an issue.. make as much as you want up provided you aren't doing so to manipulate the question :tongue:
But feel free to:
1) Make up names
2) Make up products
3) Make up events/dates etc.
4) Make up places/addresses
Even figures and stats can be made up if you make them realistic :smile:
Original post by sunnymi1
For Q1, you dont need to make inferences. I was looking and the mark schemes on the AQA website, and a model answer my teacher game me, and all you need to do is make 4 points and 4 quotes to go along with each of your points- make sure that they are relevant.

So point - We know bob feels depressed because

Quote - "I am a depressed man called bob"

Explain - "This could show that bob wants the reader to empathise with him"?..

Do this 4 times, and the world is happy ? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Bik
Are short sentences a language technique? As in can I use it for question 4, as my teacher gave me a sheet of language techniques and it is on there.. But it seems like more of something to do with structure

Help greatly appreciated :smile:

I guess it is as long as you say the effect of it e.g emphasis, tension
Reply 151
Original post by sunnymi1

Well looking at the mark schemes, it does seem they want just points and quotes.

However reading the exam report, it said to achieve higher than band 3, you had to have valid comments/inferences. Now I guess a good point can count as the comment and give you the mark but who knows.

This exam is just so random I can't wait till I finish it and never have to do english ever again. It's not very hard but the timing and the lack of assurance of what exactly the examiner wants is annoying.
It would have been so less stressful if Section A and Section B were 2 seperate tests :frown:
Reply 152
Original post by steviep14
If you want an address, use your neighbours address and your own or even your school address.. Examiners want to see you can use the information, accuracy for Q5 is not an issue.. make as much as you want up provided you aren't doing so to manipulate the question :tongue:
But feel free to:
1) Make up names
2) Make up products
3) Make up events/dates etc.
4) Make up places/addresses
Even figures and stats can be made up if you make them realistic :smile:

So we can or we must make up one:L?
Original post by cloud19
So we can or we must make up one:L?

Well a Letter needs an address right? So just write your school one :tongue: or make something up like:

1 High Street
[Your Town]
[Your County]
:tongue:

They will never know if what you write is true.. they don't know you :wink:
I would recommend writing one though yes if it is a letter :tongue:
Reply 154
Original post by steviep14
Well a Letter needs an address right? So just write your school one :tongue: or make something up like:

1 High Street
[Your Town]
[Your County]
:tongue:

They will never know if what you write is true.. they don't know you :wink:
I would recommend writing one though yes if it is a letter :tongue:

Thanks, that helps a lot:smile:
good luck all, we will be fine.. at the end of the day, just try your best.. that's all you can do
Reply 156
Original post by mia_hilton
Hi , i think i may be in the same position as you, would you be able to send me a copy of Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*? I'd appreciate it :smile: Good Luck

Sorry, i'd love to but, the file is too big in order for me to send it on here
Reply 157
I'm just happy in the knowledge that in 24hours, I'll never have to do English ever again :woo:
Reply 158
Good Luck everybody on the exam tomorrow :wink: my first exam this summer, and after this i'll be left with 2 more exams ! yupii ! ahaha x
Reply 159
Original post by aidan.steer112
Arshii,

*hi5* back at you, as my English teacher tells our class like every day, the only way you can revise for this exam is by being able to identify various devices, and also utilize them in your own work.

Good Luck
Aidan

Thanks for the help, but i found the meaning of it on BBC Bitesize GCSE English audio clips(i actually found them quite helpful) L = LANGUAGE, I=INFORMATION , S=STYLE, T=TONE. And good luck to you too :smile:
Arshii

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending