Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I being forced..?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Notice how the bit in bold talked about 'some religious types', not all religious people or even Muslims. Don't read into it too much, just read what I write and things will be much easier, and probably less offensive for you. Filling in your own narrative only serves to rile you up I find

So, that's an admission you can't prove me racist? You called me racist on the back of what? Me not being all 'Woo, go Islam!'

It makes me feel fine thanks Religion, race, oceans, they are the things that divide us. Not intellectually honest discussion
    Slightly intelligent in that you can clock on to what a generalisation is and stop yourself from making them in order to appear intelligent. I have read your posts, it's not a case of supporting islam, it's a case of demonising muslims, and that sir, makes you a bigot bigot bigot bigot bigot.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    To be entirely honest you do come across a little bit Islamophobic sometimes.
    Ehh, people who are passionate about something can often find their passion mistaken. I make no bones about it, I really, really don't like Islam. It's not an irrational fear, it's a perfectly logical conclusion based on it's scripture, it's modern form etc. That doesn't mean I hate Muslims or anything silly like that. But I wont apologise for disliking Islam, and I don't think I should be expected to.

(Original post by Frequency)
    You're really not getting the point of this thread, so stop posting in it.
    If you carry on, you obviously have no life...
    I told you the answer, you didn;t like it, not my problem.

Oh, the girl on the internet says I have no life, it must be true, it's nothing like the sort of thing a 5 year old would say in the playground :mmm:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're really not getting the point of this thread, so stop posting in it.
    If you carry on, you obviously have no life...
    with the amount of time he spends on here and threatening to report me :rofl: I'd say your judgement is correct.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ehh, people who are passionate about something can often find their passion mistaken. I make no bones about it, I really, really don't like Islam. It's not an irrational fear, it's a perfectly logical conclusion based on it's scripture, it's modern form etc. That doesn't mean I hate Muslims or anything silly like that. But I wont apologise for disliking Islam, and I don't think I should be expected to.

I told you the answer, you didn;t like it, not my problem.

Oh, the girl on the internet says I have no life, it must be true, it's nothing like the sort of thing a 5 year old would say in the playground :mmm:
    There's no "answer".
    I'm asking for an opinion, and you should realize by now that I don't want yours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    with the amount of time he spends on here and threatening to report me :rofl: I'd say your judgement is correct.
    Threatening to report someone for giving reasons is something a 5 year old would do.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Slightly intelligent in that you can clock on to what a generalisation is and stop yourself from making them in order to appear intelligent. I have read your posts, it's not a case of supporting islam, it's a case of demonising muslims, and that sir, makes you a bigot bigot bigot bigot bigot.
    Care to show me an example of where I 'demonise Muslims'? Kthnxbye.

There's no "answer".
    I'm asking for an opinion, and you should realize by now that I don't want yours.
    But there is an answer. It's there, quite clearly, in your religion. As I said before, if you don't like that answer, then re-evaluate your stance on Arabic Desert scripture.

Also, public forums are a b**** yo'
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brunettegirl92)

actually, the hijab isn't islamic; its cultural. however it may be linked to traditional religion.

I'll give you an example from what I know.

I am christian. some circles of christianity condemn sex before marriage in order to remain pure. But there is nothing that says this explicitly in the bible. it is a CULTURAL interpretation of a text, but not actually stated in the text.

It is possible to be a muslim without following asian culture with regards to clothing.
    "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."-1 Corinthians 6:18-20 & 1 Corinthians 7:1-2

“O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”-[Al-Qur’an 33:59]

Hijab as well as meaning modesty I would say is a means to an end and item of clothing required to fulfill the Islam dress code for women.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you said yourself that wearing a hajib (? - hopefully I spelt it right) is a potential safety hazard while you're at school, like catching fire during science and potentially getting overheated on hot days, then you have a rational reason not to wear it at school.

You could wear the headscarf when you're at home or when you go to a mosque or go outside, or wear one made with lighter material
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallant92)
    You say throughout the thread you want to believe in your religion and similar comments.

Why do you want to believe it?

Also why are you a Muslim?

Very similar questions, and if you wish to give the same answer for both that's fine or ofc if you don't want to answer them then that's fine too

Good luck with this episode of your life, and it seems like your parents are more reasonable than a lot of families.
    I've learnt a lot about Islam, like what expectations you have to live up to in order to go to Jannaat (Heaven)
    Maybe it's because I'm scared I'll go to Hell.
    The rest of my family are Muslim's, so I feel I have to be one too...
    I can't just stop, knowing Allah won't be happy.

Edit: As I grew up I've read the Quran in a Mosque, and I feel that Islam is now a part of me, it's never been a problem for me before.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Err, not very impressed with the idiots telling OP to change her religion/her religion is stupid. If you think telling someone to wear something is bad, it's worse to tell people to change their religion.

HOWEVER, for the actual advice - your brother is right, it is your choice. It doesn't make you less religious, not every rule in religion needs to be applied to (this goes for all religions). Your parents may be upset, and probably think they're protecting you in some way, but it doesn't mean you should listen to them. Just calmly explain why you don't want to wear it, try not to get angry - it'll show how mature you're being on the situation. When you're feeling better, you could try calling Childline again (or use their website if the phone's too much) because I'm sure a counciller would give better advice than TSR can :ahee: Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know its hard and parents often don't want to listen because they do believe that they're doing their best by you, but just try and explain to them that you will wear one when you're ready and perhaps when the weather isn't so stifling either.

It isn't fair of them to force you to do anything, but they are your parents and in that sense, they do deserve a level of respect. Yes, it is your own life to lead, but in all honesty, you're still young and you've got ages to decide whether you want to be religious or wear a hijab.

Do not feel pressured into being religious because thats what your parents want; believe because you want to. It may take some time for them to adjust to you not wearing a hijab, but don't allow it to affect you so much, they may just be a little upset over it. It'll wear off eventually, it usually does

The fact that you are just in Year 7 means that you really do have a lot of time, so enjoy it, don't upset yourself too much. Yes, family is family, and that they are important, but so is being happy. Perhaps, apologising to them for not telling them that you weren't going to wear it to school that day, but aside from that, you've nothing to apologise for except for taking the time to really decide what you want.

Hope it all works out for you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    Err, not very impressed with the idiots telling OP to change her religion/her religion is stupid. If you think telling someone to wear something is bad, it's worse to tell people to change their religion.

HOWEVER, for the actual advice - your brother is right, it is your choice. It doesn't make you less religious, not every rule in religion needs to be applied to (this goes for all religions). Your parents may be upset, and probably think they're protecting you in some way, but it doesn't mean you should listen to them. Just calmly explain why you don't want to wear it, try not to get angry - it'll show how mature you're being on the situation. When you're feeling better, you could try calling Childline again (or use their website if the phone's too much) because I'm sure a counciller would give better advice than TSR can :ahee: Good luck!
    Probably the best advice I've had on here
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    So much controversy over a piece of cloth... get a grip people...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, it is your choice.

(Original post by Riz10)
    You say you're muslim> then follow the islamic way of life, its for your own benefit. but at the end of the day its upto you, but if you say you are muslim then you
    should wear a hijab regardless of the circumstances!
    Utter crap and you know it. Being Muslim does not mean you have to wear a hijab.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Notice how the bit in bold talked about 'some religious types', not all religious people or even Muslims. Don't read into it too much, just read what I write and things will be much easier, and probably less offensive for you. Filling in your own narrative only serves to rile you up I find

So, that's an admission you can't prove me racist? You called me racist on the back of what? Me not being all 'Woo, go Islam!'

It makes me feel fine thanks Religion, race, oceans, they are the things that divide us. Not intellectually honest discussion
    You're making a lot of sense in this thread and I don't understand why you're getting all the negs. Unfortunately threads like these seem to attract all the Muslims who take the slightest observation on their religion as a massive personal insult - and yet they're more than happy to tell you that you'll be alone when you die :confused:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt a lot about Islam, like what expectations you have to live up to in order to go to Jannaat (Heaven)
    Maybe it's because I'm scared I'll go to Hell.
    The rest of my family are Muslim's, so I feel I have to be one too...
    I can't just stop, knowing Allah won't be happy.

Edit: As I grew up I've read the Quran in a Mosque, and I feel that Islam is now a part of me, it's never been a problem for me before.
    There's something really unsettling about an 11/12 year old girl living her life in fear of upsetting someone who may not even exist, when the main reason seems to be because the rest of her family do it too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    There's something really unsettling about an 11/12 year old girl living her life in fear of upsetting someone who may not even exist, when the main reason seems to be because the rest of her family do it too.
    I have nothing else to believe /;
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."-1 Corinthians 6:18-20 & 1 Corinthians 7:1-2

“O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”-[Al-Qur’an 33:59]

Hijab as well as meaning modesty I would say is a means to an end and item of clothing required to fulfill the Islam dress code for women.

Just so you, know - the bible one siad don't cheat on your spouse. i also believe that marriage is a spritual process. the wedding is a ceremony that celebrates it, but i don't believe its the wedding itself. sex is a part of the marriage process, so it can happen befor the public ceremony.

the one from the quarn said they should wear clothes. it doesn't state what should be covered or what should not be covered

do not preach to me about my own religion. i know it better than anyone - including yourself- because they are my own beliefs.
    as for islam - yes we can have a decent debate because i have interpretations, but as they are not my beliefs, i do not know them as well, so my veiws are not ste in stone
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brunettegirl92)
    might that not be a cultural interpretation of a text?
    I have muslim friends who do not wear the hijab - culturally, the friends are more westernized, but they follow islam devoutly. They say the hijab is not necessary to their religion
    there is muslims drinking, fornicating...

dont judge islam by muslims, look at the text...look at the original followers of islam.

There's solid evidence that hijab is a good clothing in Islam, although there are other ways of covering curves of the body. But hijab is the simplest.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing else to believe /;
    There are always other religions - I will never tell someone to not be religious but I'd always recommend that before people settle on a religion, they spend time reading up on as many as possible - and evaluating whether they really do believe in a god - before they settle on one. Your family should never dictate what religion you follow - in this country you're entitled to freedom of thought, and I'm fairly sure that involves religion and beliefs

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 29, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.