The Student Room Group

Mr K's OCR (not OCR MEI) S1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
Mr K's OCR (not OCR MEI) S1 answers May 2012

1. (i) r = -0.709 (4 marks)

(ii) y = -0.0185x + 8.5742

Estimate £3394 (4 marks)

(iii) Correlation does not imply causation (1 mark)

2. Mean = 1.53 kg

Standard deviation = 14.7 g (6 marks)

3. (i) 22.5 (1 mark)

(ii) w = 0 and x = 0 (2 marks)

(iii) 40 or 40.75 (2 marks)

(iv) Gives a visual display of distribution OR original data preserved (1 mark)

(v) Shows spread/IQR/median more clearly (1 mark)

4. (i) Top pair of branches Red 4/5 and Black 1/5

Bottom pair of branches Red 1 and Black 0 (2 marks)

(ii) 1/3 (3 marks)

(iii) 4/5 (2 marks)

5. (i) (a) 1 (1 mark)

(b) -1 (1 mark)

(ii) 0 (3 marks)

(iii) Completely agreed, Completely disagreed, No agreement (3 marks)

6. Profit = £110 (5 marks)

7. (i) (a) 2520 (2 marks)

(b) 720 (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 21 (1 mark)

(b) 10/11 (3 marks)

8. (i) 0.825 (2 marks)

(ii) (a) 0.265 (2 marks)

(b) 0.168 (6 marks)

9. (i) (a) 0.0590 (3 marks)

(b) 0.410 (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 0.0951 (2 marks)

(b) 0.513 (3 marks)

These answers were produced by my colleague Mr K and not by me so there is probably little point asking me about them. Hope you find them useful though!

For Q7i)b) I was told that the answer is 2 * 9P4 = 720

But I wrote... 4! + 4!*2 = 72. I drew out spaces, and realised that if there was 1 vowel, then 1 can fit at the end, then the rest in 4*3*2*1, and if there were 2 vowels, it would be either of the 2 vowels fit at the end, with 4*3*2*1 in the other 4 spaces. What did I do wrong and would I get any marks for it? :redface:
Reply 41
for question 4i i wrote 5/5 and 0/0 on the branches will the mark still be awarded?
Original post by ht4
for question 4i i wrote 5/5 and 0/0 on the branches will the mark still be awarded?

Not for 0/0 - drop one mark!
Reply 43
hey Mr M, i forgot to use the regressing equation to get the estimate, and i worked out question 9 given that the clock was turned 5 minures BEFORE midnight. but i did the right method, so how many marks do you think i dropped? i also did a weird method for part 8b and i think i may get a couple marks there. all in all i think i dropped about 25 marks in total, what grade is that? usually?
Original post by MedicalMayhem
For Q7i)b) I was told that the answer is 2 * 9P4 = 720

But I wrote... 4! + 4!*2 = 72. I drew out spaces, and realised that if there was 1 vowel, then 1 can fit at the end, then the rest in 4*3*2*1, and if there were 2 vowels, it would be either of the 2 vowels fit at the end, with 4*3*2*1 in the other 4 spaces. What did I do wrong and would I get any marks for it? :redface:

Not even sure what you are doing there.

6P4 x 2 surely?
Original post by preeyen
hey Mr M, i forgot to use the regressing equation to get the estimate, and i worked out question 9 given that the clock was turned 5 minures BEFORE midnight. but i did the right method, so how many marks do you think i dropped? i also did a weird method for part 8b and i think i may get a couple marks there. all in all i think i dropped about 25 marks in total, what grade is that? usually?

I didn't produce these answers so I'm not sure. I can't guess grade boundaries but the suggestion is this paper was harder than usual so the boundaries should be generous.
Reply 46
Original post by Mr M
I didn't produce these answers so I'm not sure. I can't guess grade boundaries but the suggestion is this paper was harder than usual so the boundaries should be generous.

thank you, but how many marks do you think i lost for my mistakes.:colondollar:
Reply 47
Original post by Mr M

Made my....LIFE :lol: My university place counts on S1 :colondollar:
Reply 48
Mr M, do you have any idea how many marks would be lost on the last two questions of the exam - I didn't realised p had changed to 1/20 and calculated it as 1/10 (my calculations were correct for 1/10)
Thankyou for all your answers by the way, greatly appreciated!
Original post by Doctor.
Made my....LIFE :lol: My university place counts on S1 :colondollar:

Same here! I need about 85ish on this and I think I may have got around 58 but hopefully the grade boundaries should be low.
Reply 50
Already asked, but can anyone tell me why 4iii is 4/5? my working gets me 2/3:

Red, Red, Red which is (5/6 x 4/5 x 3/4)

+

Red, Black, Red which is (5/6 x 1/5 x 1)

That makes 1/2 + 1/6 = 2/3

I must be doing something stupid, but I can't see what it is.
Reply 51
Original post by Bohla

+

It says GIVEN THAT the first one is red
Therefore, you know that to be true
so you just need 1/5*1 + 4/5*3/4 = 4/5
Reply 52
Hey Mr.M for question 2 (6 marks) I got the mean correct, but not the standard deviation? Is it 3 marks for getting the mean and 3 for the SD? If not, how many do you think I would get? Thanks.
Reply 53
Original post by Bohla

+

I made this mistake at first as well but you don't take into account the 5/6 because it's already a given probability, i.e '...given that the first counter is red.'

Calculating just (4/5 x 3/4) + (1/5 x 1) gives 4/5 :smile:

That's not a very good explanation though haha, can anybody elaborate for me?
Reply 54
Original post by hjayne
I made this mistake at first as well but you don't take into account the 5/6 because it's already a given probability, i.e '...given that the first counter is red.'

Calculating just (4/5 x 3/4) + (1/5 x 1) gives 4/5 :smile:

That's not a very good explanation though haha, can anybody elaborate for me?

Ah, that makes more sense now. hopefully I'll get one mark. Unusual way to ask a question in my opinion.

Thanks for both replies.
Reply 55
brb going to kill myself
Reply 56
Original post by Mr M
I just checked it myself.

The possible values of z were (3)8 or (3)9 but there is a big gap to the next number 46. This puts the upper quartile into the 40s.

I taught this module, and did this paper myself today. I haven't got my answers with me, but they look correct with the exception of this one (q3) - I think the students querying this are correct. For a list of 14 numbers the median is the mean of the 7th and 8th, the LQ is the 4th (so 23 is the correct answer for (i) ) and the UQ is the 11th number. (The 'median' of the 7 above the median). That is the number marked as 3|z which can only represent 38 or 39. The gap to 46 is irrelevant.

By the way, thanks for your efforts Mr M, I know many of my students appreciate it.
do you think i would be let off for not even drawing the branch where the possiblity for black was 0
Reply 58
Original post by MathsD
I taught this module, and did this paper myself today. I haven't got my answers with me, but they look correct with the exception of this one (q3) - I think the students querying this are correct. For a list of 14 numbers the median is the mean of the 7th and 8th, the LQ is the 4th (so 23 is the correct answer for (i) ) and the UQ is the 11th number. (The 'median' of the 7 above the median). That is the number marked as 3|z which can only represent 38 or 39. The gap to 46 is irrelevant.

By the way, thanks for your efforts Mr M, I know many of my students appreciate it.

For 14 numbers the LQ is (14+1)/4 . . which is the 3.75th value, not the 4th :smile: Sometimes the mark schemes allow for using the 4th, sometimes not
Original post by MathsD

As I said there are at least 14 different acceptable ways to calculate quartiles.

Using n+14\frac{n+1}{4} and 3(n+1)4\frac{3(n+1)}{4} is one of the most common.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending