The Student Room Group

Further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JJMills

Most normal Universities*

I found out at a UCAS convention that Glasgow (I think) don't accept Further Maths as a standalone A level.

My mistake sorry :smile: I obviously only looked at unis which did! :P
Reply 21
Further maths is really another full A level, especially at my college where the maths department work us like dogs.

That said, if you're good at questions that ask you to "show that..." or do some sort of proof, you should be OK. It's really rewarding when you manage to answer a really difficult question for the first time by yourself.
Original post by bestofyou
what a silly saucage I am. I have left out the most important detail, the full A-level, both for maths and physics is taught in one year. I am fairly confident I could get good grades over the two years, but from someone who just studied them at AS-level, is it possible to study the entire AS-Level from September to December, then revise December-Jan tests?

Same for A2-level, Jan-June?

Even though it is only two AS-levels (as opposed to 3/4 maybe even 5) is it all too much you think?

What are you looking to do at uni?

:eek: all in one year! Actually, for physics it probably is possible. And maths, maybe. Probably possible if you get more lessons than if you were just doing the AS - I get 5 hours-ish a week for each subject, so it's probably possible to do the whole A level in a year with more lessons. And i suppose if you're only doing two AS levels, you might have a bit less work... I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French, Critical Thinking, General Studies - and the workload isn't too much in my opinion. I have friends who have done whole A levels in a year, usually by having 10 lessons a week - 5 AS, 5 A2.
It could be better to do the whole A level in a year, I guess, because you could sit all the AS and A2 exams at the end of the year and do really well in the AS ones because you would be that bit better.
As long as you're prepared to put in the extra work, it's probably possible!
I'm hoping to do Natural Sciences at uni, 'cause I'm not entirely sure which science I would want to do! I could put off the choice between physics and chemistry until a few years later...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
I want to do Further Maths at A level but I'm still a bit worried taking it as an option at A level to be honest.
I did my GCSE maths in year 10 and I got an A* the first time and in year eleven, we did C1 but our school decided for us not to do the exam because universities apparently don't like it if you do it early as it means you had more time to do the course (if that makes sense).
I'm planning to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry my A Level subjects but I'm still not sure whether I should put Further maths as my forth. I'm planning to do either Medicine or become an Actuary (I know they are really different). I'm still not sure on what I want to do but I still want to keep my options open so if I do take all those four subjects, i at least will have two ways I can go at Uni.
I know for medicine, it's not necessary for me to do Further Maths but some people say that it will be a lot of work if you want to take it next year with Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
However, if I want to do Actuarial Science, i would need to do further maths. Or can I do another subject instead of Further maths for example Economics?

Long story short, I was just wondering whether anyone can help me in what I should choose as my forth option. :smile:
Reply 24
Just to clarify what some people have said, A2 FM is a lot harder than AS FM (which is pretty much extended regular maths, especially decision "maths").
Reply 25
@ShehaniJ I'm currently doing Maths FMaths Biology and Chemistry with the intention to study medicine come September. I think you can't really go wrong with taking Further Maths, if you're a good mathematician it can be an easier way of getting the extra A or A* in order to get into the university you want. For me I know that my grade in Further maths will probably be better than any other option I could have taken (with the possible exception of physics). Just to warn you though I know a couple of medical schools won't accept further maths and maths together but that's only 2 that I've found out of all 30 something of the UK med schools. However, I know people who in my class last year got an A* maths at GCSE and now maths could well be their worst result, so it depends how well you think you will cope, and I guess only your teacher would really know. For maths/acturial sciences you can't really go wrong with taking further maths, some universities (i.e Surrey) will lower your entry requirements if you've simply taken further maths, regardless of your grade in it.

Quick Reply

Latest