The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Geographical Investigations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lorem Ipsum
Are introductions and conclusions completely necessary? I've been looking at the examiner's reports and top level answers often don't seem to have them. Just wondering what everyone else has been told regards exam technique..

When my crowded coast teacher marks my answers he usually gives me couple of marks for defining the key words in the question it shows you understand the question and doesnt take long :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ofudge
How is everyone coping for time.. if I stick to the 1 mark = 1 minute idea then I write a load of rubbish and its awful, yet if I write to what I feel confident with then I dont have enough time to finish the second question D:

Also, I get really bad hand cramps for this exam! Its going to be absolutely hideous :'(

How are you lot preparing for the hand pain lol ?

the time they give you for the exam is ridiclous! 6 big questions in just over an hour! how are we supposed to show all the stuff we learned in that time. Just seems like a waste to me. Shorter questions would show a broader range of knowledge imo.

so worried about the time mangement!!
Original post by InadequateJusticex
That seems about right :smile: But what do you actually do with your points? Do you briefly describe how to carry out the technique and what its for? How much would you recommend writing for each technique?

Ok so i would say no more than a small paragraph for each technique, say what the technique is, briefly how you would conduct it and then say how it would help the investigation.

Eg. Use EQS with about 10 categories to do with deprivation in a local area such as quality of pavements and upkeep of houses. Rank on a scale of -5 to +5 and work in groups to avoid being too baised. Maybe use pictures or a comment to say what the extremes are so you know how to rank. This would help identify social inequality in an urban area by pointing out differences in scores between areas. This could be displayed as a series of bar charts linked to different sites in the urban area.

something like that maybe? but if u are taking too long u shud move on after a minute or 2 of describing one technique.

What do other people think about how much to write for each technique??
Reply 43
Can somebody explain to me the methods behind carrying out a:
Environmental Quality Assessment
Land Use Survey
Index of Decay

^ how did you guys do these?
Original post by ofudge
Can somebody explain to me the methods behind carrying out a:
Environmental Quality Assessment
Land Use Survey
Index of Decay

^ how did you guys do these?

EQS is a criteria based technique used to evaluate the local area with several categories that relate to the inequality or whatever you are investigating. Each category is usually ranked from about -5 to +5 to show a range from very bad to very good. The categories can be totalled up and compared with results taken from other areas.

Land use survey is having a GOAD map of the area and recording what every building is in the map's range. So you would say the building is a souvenir shop and maybe record the building's age or something and then repeat for all the buildings in the area. Can be compared to past land use surveys to see how the local area has changed over time.

Index of decay usuallly based on opinionated categories like EQS and a total is taken and put on a scale comparing different places. Can't remember this one in a lot of detail though.

These are my thoughts :smile: maybe someone else can add to them :smile: hope it helps
Original post by ReviseAlex
EQS is a criteria based technique used to evaluate the local area with several categories that relate to the inequality or whatever you are investigating. Each category is usually ranked from about -5 to +5 to show a range from very bad to very good. The categories can be totalled up and compared with results taken from other areas.

Land use survey is having a GOAD map of the area and recording what every building is in the map's range. So you would say the building is a souvenir shop and maybe record the building's age or something and then repeat for all the buildings in the area. Can be compared to past land use surveys to see how the local area has changed over time.

Index of decay usuallly based on opinionated categories like EQS and a total is taken and put on a scale comparing different places. Can't remember this one in a lot of detail though.

These are my thoughts :smile: maybe someone else can add to them :smile: hope it helps

Dumb question, but what IS goad mapping? I didn't go on the trip (too expensive) so I'm confused by some of the terms the mark schemes use..
Dumb question, but what IS goad mapping? I didn't go on the trip (too expensive) so I'm confused by some of the terms the mark schemes use..

its like a map of the area that isnt filled in, like empty buildings and stuff so you can record stuff, usually colour coding it or something, google GOAD map to get a better idea
Reply 47
This exam used to be 1 hour and then they added 15 minutes recently because of complaints. 15 minuttess!!!! This is ridiculous, and doesn't even test you properly imo.
Original post by GottaRevise
Hi yh now that you think about it, the other questions have come up loads.

I think that for extreme weather, they are probably going to come up with something to do with changing weather conditions as that has only come up once too.

If they ask this what would you write?

We haven't done any fieldwork, so I am struggling to understand terms too. How will you write in the exam about your fieldwork? will you write 'we could have done' or 'we have done' and provide examples? Do you have all the data and the results of the fieldwork? I have nothing and the teacher doesn't care at all, he told us to 'invent' the data and I have no clue how to do it so it looks credible :frown:
Original post by thediamonds
We haven't done any fieldwork, so I am struggling to understand terms too. How will you write in the exam about your fieldwork? will you write 'we could have done' or 'we have done' and provide examples? Do you have all the data and the results of the fieldwork? I have nothing and the teacher doesn't care at all, he told us to 'invent' the data and I have no clue how to do it so it looks credible :frown:

Ah I feel your pain, the people in my class who didn't go (including me) have asked the teachers for a catch up type of session and they can't as they're too 'busy' -.- Did your class not do the fieldwork stuff at all? I have the booklets and stuff they wrote on but it makes no sense to me at all, so I just plan to make up my own data but I'll actually use the places my class went to so it sounds believable :s But if its 'evaluate your methods' or 'how would you present your data' types of questions I'm screwed. What about you?
Reply 51
Do we need to know an urban and rural case study for the key players in rebranding? I've got one for the Olympics, but that's it :frown:
Reply 52
Original post by Kirby711
Do we need to know an urban and rural case study for the key players in rebranding? I've got one for the Olympics, but that's it :frown:

Yes, does anyone have any good case study places for rebranding? I know there is Cornwall for rural and Stratford for Urban, but I need more range and variety
Ah I feel your pain, the people in my class who didn't go (including me) have asked the teachers for a catch up type of session and they can't as they're too 'busy' -.- Did your class not do the fieldwork stuff at all? I have the booklets and stuff they wrote on but it makes no sense to me at all, so I just plan to make up my own data but I'll actually use the places my class went to so it sounds believable :s But if its 'evaluate your methods' or 'how would you present your data' types of questions I'm screwed. What about you?

he only gave us the methods that we can use in order to investigate the flood risk (maps, how to measure the flood likelihood, severity, etc) and assess the impacts of rebranding, but he gave us no data at all. I mean I plan to write that we did surveys, used photographs, ect but I am not sure what to write in the conclusion. You are lucky that you actually have the booklet and at least can study from it, I only have methods, so I'm screwed :frown:

By the way, did you study all of the case studies?
Original post by Erika_B
Yes, does anyone have any good case study places for rebranding? I know there is Cornwall for rural and Stratford for Urban, but I need more range and variety

I did Glasgow for urban and the rural parts of Uganda
Original post by Kirby711

Objective 1 for Cornwall, that's the only other one i have
but if it asks for examples of key players, i think you can write different players (there's about 8 for London Olympics) instead of a key player from examples of different places
Original post by thediamonds
he only gave us the methods that we can use in order to investigate the flood risk (maps, how to measure the flood likelihood, severity, etc) and assess the impacts of rebranding, but he gave us no data at all. I mean I plan to write that we did surveys, used photographs, ect but I am not sure what to write in the conclusion. You are lucky that you actually have the booklet and at least can study from it, I only have methods, so I'm screwed :frown:

By the way, did you study all of the case studies?

Ah :frown: well make up your own! Better than nothing. But hopefully the question will be 'what fieldwork and research will you UNDERTAKE' as opposed to 'what fieldwork and research have you UNDERTOOK' :redface: The booklet barely contained useful data (But I've only skimmed through it) so it's not much help..but good luck!
Reply 57
Original post by Troubleinparadise.
Objective 1 for Cornwall, that's the only other one i have
but if it asks for examples of key players, i think you can write different players (there's about 8 for London Olympics) instead of a key player from examples of different places

Of course, I've just realised that I could use the Cornwall Broadband case study. Thank you :smile:
Ah :frown: well make up your own! Better than nothing. But hopefully the question will be 'what fieldwork and research will you UNDERTAKE' as opposed to 'what fieldwork and research have you UNDERTOOK' :redface: The booklet barely contained useful data (But I've only skimmed through it) so it's not much help..but good luck!

I am also hoping for this sort of question :redface: Hopefully the revision we do today will help us tomorrow....
Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 59
I would love a question on flood risk to come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending