The Student Room Group

Is A Level Photography easy?

Scroll to see replies

If you're picking your A Levels based on which ones are easy then frankly you shouldn't be considering doing them. It is completely the wrong stance to take and it will not give you any preparation for the future.

A Level Photography is held in very low regard and unless you really enjoy photography then there is little point in doing it. The professional photographers that I know give far greater value to Art and English Literature as they are subjects that develop creative thinking to a far greater extent. Also, don't even consider it unless it will be a fifth choice.
It is hard! its a lot of hard work and you need to be prepared to do it in order to get a good grade. It's not difficult to get a good grade if you are unoriginal, but if you actually want to take fresh, emotive photographs and bloom into your own style then you need to work hard!
Reply 22
I've done Photography at both gcse and i'm studying it at A2 currently.
It depends on the individual as to how difficult it is. You have to be prepared for big work loads and it is very time consuming (especially if you are doing film photography) It also depends on the skills you already have and how motivated you are! Some projects are very self directed so you have to be committed to it
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,
I'm taking maths, physics and chemistry A-levels all at A2 and A2 only 100% in exams.
I am interested in photography but don't have a great camera and lack basic knowledge. I know I will enjoy it as a 4th subject and be willing to put in the work.
My question is, what do you actually learn?
Do you learn the theory, history, techniques etc.
Also do you think I should take it?
I'm planning on going into engineer but want to do photography part time.
Reply 24
Don't just tell someone who's obviously interested in something not to do something, just because you like academic based subjects. It's just an unhelpful childish comment.
Its really not that easy but sure it sounds easy. Now i am doing AS Photography, its actually kinda annoying sometimes
Reply 26
Bit ofa late addition here but it is not easier compared to other subjects... maybe easier if you only want a C/B grade (not a bad thing), but its hard to break through to the A/A* grades without putting in the work thats needed and following the spec. Anyone can take a photograph, but its about taking good photographs and when you study photography you see the difference very clearly. If anything, other subjects are actually easier because if you don't know something in maths or science you learn it. Photography is like singing- you can either sing naturally or you cant, and those who can't can always train themselves to sing but it takes a long time and a lot of practise. The same with photography, or art, you'll get those who are naturally good at it with a 'natural photographic/artistic eye' and those who will have to work twice as hard to do half as well. Its a lot of writing, annotating, futile editing, printing and printing again. You need a good eye for detail and creativity and patience. But if its what you like to do and you're passionate about it, then it can also be great fun and incredibly rewarding. Thats what got me though it- the feeling of seeing all your photographs up on display in the end- and in contrast to academic subjects, you have physical evidence of your work rather than just a grade.
The projects are a positive- especially the independent studies where you choose your own title/theme/genre or whatever. The worst part for me? Probably the exam in the end- I'm not sure about others but mine was 15 hours long (3 days)
But to be more positive- its a great subject, real fun to get others involved in too and rewarding
Well it isn't hard to take a picture.... I don't know why it is even en A level!
Original post by Pseudo-truth
Not hard, but time consuming. Basically, your grade is directly proportional to the amount of time you put in.

This is probably the best way I've heard someone describe Photography
Original post by matthew_pt
Well it isn't hard to take a picture.... I don't know why it is even en A level!

Listen matey bop, don't shade photography and come back when you get a GCSE or A Level in it
It depends, for me? yes because I enjoy the subject. Whereas if you don't have a passion in photography in the first place it might just be a nusiance to do... it's like 8+ hours of homework a week because it's an art subject.
So yes, all things in that case are subjective. But it’s definitely not easy to do this craft at the proper level, especially when it comes to a certain level of skill. Especially when I saw it personally the work of a similar level of a photographer from https://www.splento.com/corporate-photographer-liverpool
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending