Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is with the explosion on pretentiousness?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed the explosion on pretentiousness that characterises not only young people aged 18-25 but also younger people still in school. It seems like everyone has an inflated sense of one's importance. People seem to think they're owed something because they're so great and amazing. I sometimes wonder whether they're delusional or whether I'm the one with something wrong.

Anyone else notice this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There was an article in the last edition of New Scientist about this, something about how Generation Y has been tainted by celebrity pop culture and reality TV. Haven't noticed this myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm far too self-absorbed and narcissistic to notice such trivial things.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have definitely noticed this. I think a lot of people joke about how 'amazing', 'unique' and 'original' when they actually do really think these things about themselves.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see this almost too often in my sixth form, its pretty pathetic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was just something wrong with me because I have noticed the same, or I thought maybe everyone has always been like that at this age!? I can't stand it though, which is probably why I don't have many friends
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think the media is largely to blame. Shows like The Only Way Is Essex give people the view that the key to success it to act like a shallow annoying **** instead of working hard or having a talent. Twitter and YouTube create "internet celebrities" - people who become famous for simply talking about things and following stereotypes. It seems to me like a lot of people my age think the mere fact they exist and are attractive/popular enough to get attention, entitles them to special privileges. I've probably gone off on a complete tangent here and missed the original point of this thread, but I'm just saying what I see.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should come to my school, you would die.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to more 'is oxbridge good enough for me?' threads :yep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turkishdisco)
    There was an article in the last edition of New Scientist about this, something about how Generation Y has been tainted by celebrity pop culture and reality TV. Haven't noticed this myself.
    Ah, I read this article. When I saw the title I was like "YES". I completely agree. I don't know if it's necessarily all to do with pop culture/reality tv, but it almost certainly does play a big role.

If you haven't witnessed it yourself I can understand why it may not bother you, it just seems that a large amount of people I know who are a similar age to me manage to fall into this category. I could go on forever about this topic, but then I'd end up sounding pretentious, so I'll keep it brief...

"Youths" who are intolerable and pretentious are so because they are:

1. Opinionated but UNINFORMED
    2. Told too often how important they are
    3. Are no longer taught to respect those around them
    (4. Use tumblr and the like to delude themselves about their own significance)

I think Bertrand Russell's quotation here pretty much sums it up:

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

Or maybe I just have a massive chip on my shoulder. Seems to be that if you aren't ignorant, self-possessed and happy, then you're over-analytical, self-possessed and bitter.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    too much ****ing TV, not enough LSD.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingInsane)
    Has anyone noticed the explosion on pretentiousness that characterises not only young people aged 18-25 but also younger people still in school. It seems like everyone has an inflated sense of one's importance. People seem to think they're owed something because they're so great and amazing. I sometimes wonder whether they're delusional or whether I'm the one with something wrong.

Anyone else notice this?
    It was kinda like that in the music institute I went to. People were way too egotistic. Not sure whether it's that or arrogance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anetata)
    I thought it was just something wrong with me because I have noticed the same, or I thought maybe everyone has always been like that at this age!? I can't stand it though, which is probably why I don't have many friends
    I'm reassured by some of the replies and just my own intuituion that is these pretentious people who are the delusional ones. Reassuringly, I think most people grow out of it or simply come to the realisation that they're not speacial.

(Original post by lukas1051)
    I think the media is largely to blame. Shows like The Only Way Is Essex give people the view that the key to success it to act like a shallow annoying **** instead of working hard or having a talent. Twitter and YouTube create "internet celebrities" - people who become famous for simply talking about things and following stereotypes. It seems to me like a lot of people my age think the mere fact they exist and are attractive/popular enough to get attention, entitles them to special privileges. I've probably gone off on a complete tangent here and missed the original point of this thread, but I'm just saying what I see.
    The media certainly plays a role, you make some very relevent points. The reason this behaviour intrigued me is because I observed it first hand only last week. My younger (17) sister had a number of friends over last week and the drivel they were coming out made me question my sanity. They were watching one of these reality shows and saying things like "team jamie" "so and so is such b****" and just totally engrossed in the lives of these nobody's.

Even though they were sat around togeather watching it, they kept tweeting about the show, as if the world needed to know their opinions because they're so important. The other thing is that they say something then actually say "hashtag *insert wittercism*". Earlier in the evening they kept taking pictures of the food and snacks and uploading them to FB/Twitter. Food, why are you taking pictures of food?! As if its so important the world knows their dietary regime.

When I question them on their frankly bizzare behaviour, the generic respons of "its what everyone does" comes back everytime as if they're programmed robots.

(Original post by Toggler)
    x
    You're description fits the behaviour I'm talking about exactly. I'm pretty sure that a few years ago, it was not such an issue and I never really noticied at as much. Just seems to me that it has exploded recently.

Its worrying that such a large number of people are kind of delusional. I know some people are going to reply with "this is how young people have always been and its nothing new", however it seems very new and more widespread now than before.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Facebook and celeb culture have contributed. But also all these lifestyle magazines and models that we're supposed to follow.

That said, I don't think we're much more fickle than those before us. It's one of those "when I was young things were different type things". I think now there is more of a platform if you want to be attention-seeking but I also think that people are too quick to write off others and "try-hards" and "hipsters" and "pretentious".

I have a friend who loves Shakespeare and read all the Shakespeare plays by Yr13. He always got called pretentious but he wasn't, he was just passionate. I think if there is more pretentiousness, there is more cynicism too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for posting this I thought I was the only one that noticed. This has definitely increased-I can only speculate on this but I think the explosion comes from society's excessive worship of 2 things: a) Individualistic achievement b) shallow characteristics i.e. money and appearance. The media is the cause imo and I really think we have yet to understand what a profoundly negative influence media is having on people's happiness and the way they relate to others.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    even the word "pretentious" feels pretentious somehow.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just read the New Scientist article and it confirmed a few things. The fact that there is research that supports that this kind of bhaviour has increased reassures me that its not just something I've plucked out of thin air.

Also, some of it is ridiclous, the bit in which a researcher notes how she can 'recount anecdotes of people hiring fake paparazzi to making themselves look famous"! This reminds of those photography people in clubs who take picutres and you get people posing in all kinds of ways for them then the next day people go on facebook and tag themselves in the 'paparazzi' snaps of themselves. Facebook is like the "OK" or "Now" magazine for people!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey GoingInsane can you post a link to the article?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I blame it on the people that always comment on how amazing someone is on sites such as facebook, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    I blame it on the people that always comment on how amazing someone is on sites such as facebook, etc.
    Thats a good point. Also, on Twitter you can retweet people which in essence quotes them because what they've said is so profound and amazing.

(Original post by silver9)
    Hey GoingInsane can you post a link to the article?
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ration-me.html

To access the whole article you need a subscription to New Scientist, if you're at university to can use your institutional log in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.