The Student Room Group

Are exams getting easier?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boomersooner
Of course the school had access to past papers, it was one of the top independent schools in the country with one of the largest Oxbridge intakes each year. We were taught properly, not simply to pass an exam that was the point I was making.

ANYONE can get an A by doing as you claim 'millions of past papers' that's kind of the point, it used be called cheating!

How is hard work ever cheating. Why does it matter if the questions you do as practice are a skillfully designed piece of 'prep' in a top independent school or a past paper. If it is cheating if you do any other work than doing 'prep', paying attention in class, and maybe rereading your class notes, that does not make for a very independent student ?

Don't get me wrong I am very jealous of those who go to top private schools, I just resent the idea that doing past papers is cheating. It is one of the few ways you have to revise if , like me, you have no homework, all I have a is textbooks and past papers ?

I don't personally see the problem with being thought to pass an exam - as long as you understand all the things you regurgitate.
Original post by Moiraclaire
How is hard work ever cheating. Why does it matter if the questions you do as practice are a skillfully designed piece of 'prep' in a top independent school or a past paper. If it is cheating if you do any other work than doing 'prep', paying attention in class, and maybe rereading your class notes, that does not make for a very independent student ?

Don't get me wrong I am very jealous of those who go to top private schools, I just resent the idea that doing past papers is cheating. It is one of the few ways you have to revise if , like me, you have no homework, all I have a is textbooks and past papers ?

I don't personally see the problem with being thought to pass an exam - as long as you understand all the things you regurgitate.

I think you're missing the point of what I wrote. I don't personally think using past papers is a form of cheating but this is how it was regarded when I was an A-Level student 20 years ago. I was making the point earlier in the thread that papers today are not easier just that there is more information and transparency in what is required of students these days.

I was comparing the two experiences between when I did my A-Levels 20 years ago and the ones I am doing currently as a mature student for personal interest is all as I felt that I could offer insight with my first post as to how the experience has changed. Please don't feel attacked by that.
Original post by stefl14
Most idiotic thing I've ever read. Also, there is no way anyone could get an A in some of the recent AQA further maths exams. No way. Much harder than any old papers I've attempted.

Most idiotic thing I've ever read. AQA is pretty average. And
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-STATS-JUNE11.PDF

50% of Further Mathematicians got an A in 2011 (this is higher than other subjects because few people who are are bad at maths take FM and a lot of people who take FM are very good at maths).
Reply 103
Original post by Spungo
Not sure if you meant to reply to me or diggy.

"Well said; just to add further to my rant earlier."

That was meant for you. The other bit was meant for diggy. May I humbly apologise for any inconvenience caused my dear fellow. :tongue:
Original post by craig12
I know this is a reoccurring question but I thought I would state my views. I do think to an extent GCSEs have become easier over the years but have A-level exams? The reason I ask is because I tried an A-level Chemistry paper from 1972 today. I actually got an A and I thought it was pretty easy. I know this isn't representative of all exams. Also people (generally geriatrics) always say how, "exams were harder", in their day but I did an exam from, "their day", and it was pretty easy.

So what are your thoughts?

The AQA AS maths C2 paper I took not long ago was harder than any of the recent past papers I've been taking.
Reply 105
Original post by Spungo
Most idiotic thing I've ever read. Many people will have 100% in those exams.

Perhaps you misinterpreted me. Lots of people get a 100%. Perhaps what i should have said is that there is no way ABSOLUTELY ANYONE could get As in them succeed in them just by doing past papers.
Reply 106
Most idiotic thing I've ever read. AQA is pretty average. And
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-STATS-JUNE11.PDF

50% of Further Mathematicians got an A in 2011 (this is higher than other subjects because few people who are are bad at maths take FM and a lot of people who take FM are very good at maths).

Somebody else misinterpreting me due to my incorrectly worded sentence. The person I originally quoted implied that anyone can get an A in any exam just by doing loads of past papers. This is not true in any way shape or form for the recent AQA exams which are in no way formulaic. Of course I know lots of people doing further maths are successful - I do it myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by stefl14
Sorry but you are wrong. Ever since the A* grade has come in, maths papers have got a lot harder. I'm doing further maths on AQA and the equivalent of FP2 papers for around 2000-2004 that out teacher has given us are hilariously easy compared to papers from about 2010. I've got 100% raw in every one I've tried with no problem. I do agree that it is stupid giving students the substitutions, but even if they didn't it wouldn't make much difference as the substitutions are ridiculously obvious and teachers would show you how to spot them better. Also, they often don't give substitutions in further maths anyway. Different challenging questions are coming up lately to separate the good mathematicians.

Maybe A level maths/further maths is just easy then? I admit i do edexcel, which is consistantly easy and more a case of "if you make a mistake you lose your A*" but in edexcel i've not noticed anything harder on them. If only they were as hard as Solomon papers (which are just really awkward questions, not much more difficult but require more thought) then it would be a much better differentiater of ability
Reply 108
Maths, but it's the easier bits of further maths (summing series, not hard) and not all of normal maths.
So approximately the same level of difficulty to normal maths.
Also you have choice. admitedly 8/10 is nto much choice, but some are a lot easier than others. The logs question on jan 72? could take like 4 minutes whereas you could spend around 20 (180/8) minutes on each question

Further more back then, people didn't do FM,
they did pure and applied if they did 2 a-levels. Therefore there is inevitably more pure in normal a-level maths as they did no stats or mechanics, or decisions

Come on, there's an FP3 Vectors question in it (1968 Q7), FP3 ellipeses (Q5), De Moivre's theorem FP2 (1972 Q4). I can go on if i looked carefully but cba. Also, you isolated one question out, I can tell a lot of them are quite long and require more thought than your standard C3/C4/FP2/FP3 paper. They're a level between current a level and STEP imo
Reply 109
Original post by desijut
Maybe A level maths/further maths is just easy then? I admit i do edexcel, which is consistantly easy and more a case of "if you make a mistake you lose your A*" but in edexcel i've not noticed anything harder on them. If only they were as hard as Solomon papers (which are just really awkward questions, not much more difficult but require more thought) then it would be a much better differentiater of ability

Until very recently (last 3 or so papers) AQA, like Edexcel, has been extremely formulaic. However, too many papers are now out so AQA have been making papers very hard now the A* has come out. In the last last 10 years you've basically needed to get full raw to get full UMS in maths papers. But in recent FP4 and FP2 AQA papers you've been able to drop 9 - 10 marks and still get 100% UMS. This is despite the fact that people are trying much harder to get over 90% than before as they have the incentive to get A*s. If this doesn't prove maths papers - at least AQA ones - have been getting harder recently I don't know what will.
Reply 110
Original post by desijut
Come on, there's an FP3 Vectors question in it (1968 Q7), FP3 ellipeses (Q5), De Moivre's theorem FP2 (1972 Q4). I can go on if i looked carefully but cba. Also, you isolated one question out, I can tell a lot of them are quite long and require more thought than your standard C3/C4/FP2/FP3 paper. They're a level between current a level and STEP imo

Don't know about STEP (going to study econ rather than maths at Camb - not good enough to be a mathmo lol!!!) but I have tried lots of VERY old questions in my FP4 textbook on vectors and they don't seem to be particularly difficult compared to what we get now.
Reply 111
Original post by stefl14
Until very recently (last 3 or so papers) AQA, like Edexcel, has been extremely formulaic. However, too many papers are now out so AQA have been making papers very hard now the A* has come out. In the last last 10 years you've basically needed to get full raw to get full UMS in maths papers. But in recent FP4 and FP2 AQA papers you've been able to drop 9 - 10 marks and still get 100% UMS. This is despite the fact that people are trying much harder to get over 90% than before as they have the incentive to get A*s. If this doesn't prove maths papers - at least AQA ones - have been getting harder recently I don't know what will.

Just looked at FP4 AQA June 2011... dont see tbh, although a whole paper on matrices and vectors is pretty nasty in itself, but it doesnt look like anything out of place
Reply 112
Original post by desijut
Just looked at FP4 AQA June 2011... dont see tbh, although a whole paper on matrices and vectors is pretty nasty in itself, but it doesnt look like anything out of place

June 2011 is very easy I admit. Jan 2012 is the mock we did and it was pretty difficult. The June 2011 one was 75/75 needed for full UMS but for Jan 2012 66/75 got you 100 UMS. The paper you looked at bucks the general trend of AQA papers getting harder VERY recently. Multiple people on this thread clearly agree as they have mentioned the AQA maths exams. And some of the grade boundaries being at their lowest in recent times despite the recent A* introduction tells the truth. On Jan 2012 everything is relatively simple but the last 2 caught a lot of people out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Please don't talk about GCSE in here, we all know what a doss that was lol. pretty much A*s without revision
Original post by pixelfrag
Please don't talk about GCSE in here, we all know what a doss that was lol. pretty much A*s without revision

Clearly not for everyone...:rolleyes:

I think the chance to resit improves grades quite a lot, because some people basically treat the first time as a practice and if you bomb it, you can fork up and try again. I'm not sure the actual papers have gotten easier though.

I bet if they bring back the whole 'One exam at the end of the year and that's it' policy, results will get worse and they can stop crying that exams are easier.
Original post by desijut

ok but they had no applied modules! No they'd need to do 33% more pure to make it equivalent.

It might be a little harder, but I reckon an A grade response is the same, getting an E would have been much harder then.
Original post by Converse Rocker
Clearly not for everyone...:rolleyes:

I think the chance to resit improves grades quite a lot, because some people basically treat the first time as a practice and if you bomb it, you can fork up and try again. I'm not sure the actual papers have gotten easier though.

I bet if they bring back the whole 'One exam at the end of the year and that's it' policy, results will get worse and they can stop crying that exams are easier.

I think in general gcse's could be passed with common sense. The maths paper was literally 20 mins work + 1 hour 10 mins sleep...

IMO A-levels are hard enough and they're a bit better in the sense that you can't just memorise and regurgitate (as you could in gcse if you wished), you need to apply.

But hey, you soon realise gcse's don't really count for much if you're thinking of going into higher ed. ?
Original post by pixelfrag
I think in general gcse's could be passed with common sense. The maths paper was literally 20 mins work + 1 hour 10 mins sleep...

I agree they can be passed relatively easily, but that isn't what you said, you claimed A*'s with pretty much no revision. Not revising and getting a C is different to getting an A*. You may have been exaggerating though, but it doesn't always transfer well over TSR, in fact I've heard people make that very claim :smile:

But hey, you soon realise gcse's don't really count for much if you're thinking of going into higher ed. ?

I realised that a few years back when I sat GCSEs.
Reply 118
You mad!!!! A levels are getting harder! I know cause I take Maths, English Lit, History and Chinese- so most aspects of education at A level and no way is it getting easier possibly for gcse....

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Original post by Converse Rocker
I agree they can be passed relatively easily, but that isn't what you said, you claimed A*'s with pretty much no revision. Not revising and getting a C is different to getting an A*. You may have been exaggerating though, but it doesn't always transfer well over TSR, in fact I've heard people make that very claim :smile:

I realised that a few years back when I sat GCSEs.

I will never understand how I got a C in a geography module with a huge amount of revision and full UMS when I did a resit with no revision. It's weird, I think luck plays a part in your marks too. Sorry I wasn't exaggerating xD I don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything but I think that there is clearly a HUGE step from gcse to a level that really shouldn't be there because it gives people a little shock sometimes (like it did to me)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending