The Student Room Group

Applying for English

So I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice for me on this...
I'm not sure what I'm going to apply for, probably English Lit, and A-levels are going fine so far, apart from one thing.
I took AS Economics last year and flunked it. Completely. Can't stand the subject, didn't bother working for it, I literally got a U.
Everything's going ok and I'm retaking it at the moment (didn't do it in January)...doesn't look as though I'm going to do much better this time round.
So I'm wondering - what are the odds of getting into a top university with three good full A-levels, but no fourth AS?
Also, I'm taking a year off, possibly two, and if I retake the AS yet again in January, won't that look a bit pathetic on my UCAS if I'm applying to top unis?
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Horatio7
So I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice for me on this...
I'm not sure what I'm going to apply for, probably English Lit, and A-levels are going fine so far, apart from one thing.
I took AS Economics last year and flunked it. Completely. Can't stand the subject, didn't bother working for it, I literally got a U.
Everything's going ok and I'm retaking it at the moment (didn't do it in January)...doesn't look as though I'm going to do much better this time round.
So I'm wondering - what are the odds of getting into a top university with three good full A-levels, but no fourth AS?
Also, I'm taking a year off, possibly two, and if I retake the AS yet again in January, won't that look a bit pathetic on my UCAS if I'm applying to top unis?
Thanks in advance
Some unis, like Warwick and King's, specify that you must have an AS in a fourth subject to apply for any of their courses. You will need to systematically check entry requirements, course by course. English is extremely competitive, so even if a fourth subject at AS isn't specified, it may still be expected in practice.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply
So, if I re-sat this AS next year, would it make it harder for me to get in at UCL for example?
Reply 3
Original post by Horatio7
Thanks for the reply
So, if I re-sat this AS next year, would it make it harder for me to get in at UCL for example?
Without a top grade at AS, I'd say your chances at UCL for English would be very limited, unless there is something else about your application that makes you stand out from the crowd. You need to check the UCL website to find out if they specify a required grade for the AS, and whether they'll accept resits.
Reply 4
Alright, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending