The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature exam. F663. Othello, Duchess of Malfi and The Pardoner's t

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juliewho
In my class of sixteen resitters, I was the only person who DIDN'T do the storytelling question, so it can't have looked that difficult! I found the first question relatively simple and it was easy to find four pages worth of content, so overall, I think it was a much better selection than the Jan '12 exam.

I did how Othellos race makes the audience dislike him and how it's manipulated through language, also how perceptions of race at the time could have lead to empathy and pity from the audience and a sense of his actions not being his own fault. The use of Cassio to emphasise how Othello wasn't really all that important in a military role and also argued the opposite to show how the audience might like Othello due to his military importance. I also included how he plays up to his stereotype more and more as the play progresses creating dislike, and also how the inclusion of Iago could have lead us to like Othello more in comparison and forgive him for his actions, then debated what shakespeare intended, before agreeing with their quote and writing a pretty rubbish conclusion.

I'd love to know the general gist of what other people wrote since I have no one at school to compare with :smile:

Wrote something very similar, but included stuff like the use of dramatic irony,etc. My essay was essentially York Notes regurgitated.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Wrote something very similar, but included stuff like the use of dramatic irony,etc. My essay was essentially York Notes regurgitated.

I didn't mention the phrase dramatic irony, I probably should have done to make it a bit easier for the examiner. Oh well. I was quite proud of my technical language in the comparison essay, so i'll forgive myself for missing that out :tongue:
Original post by snow leopard
I'd be fascinated to hear from any brave individual who tackled the Othello question regarding 'stories and storytelling'. It's difficult to imagine anyone not picking what will probably be the most accessible OCR Othello question in history.

I think that's a bit of an ignorant thing to say really. These questions are completely open to interpretation and a question that may feel completely accessible to you can easily be seen differently by anyone else. Personally, I felt that I wanted to speak about a range of characters rather than just Othello.

As you may be able to tell, I chose the storytelling question and I focused on the stories that Iago, Othello and Desdemona all tell in order to achieve the approval of other characters and the audience. I concluded my argument with the notion that perhaps stories are not so important as they are often seen as factual(ish) accounts but that instead, it was embellishments of the truth that were the driving force behind the play.

Not to get too defensive but I think it's quite possible that those of us who chose this question won't suffer as there will be less responses for the examiners to read and this may allow them to focus on the different ideas of each essay as I think this question was wider than the Othello one.
Reply 203
Sat the OCR Lit exam today - my circumstances are that I need 31-35/60 in this exam (raw) to get an A overall in Lit. I started with section B and it was OK, probably got 20 plus. However, I COMPLETELY screwed up the Othello question - I did question a even though my essay was SO MUCH MORE relevant to question B. I have no idea why I did this, exam pressure I guess, and a lot of my essay really wasn't fantastically relevant to the question. I never even considered if Othello was a hero or not. Will I still pick up marks for hitting the A0s, although a lot of it was only slightly relevant?

Stressing so I'll include what I wrote:

- Started with how Othello is 'alienated' from society due to race etc. Context plus the odd critic.
- Talked about how Othello lives by a set of stories
- Talked a lot about how Iago makes the audience complicit, and controls the play.
- Talked about masculine qualities of Othello; he immortalizes himself as one of his stories
- Talked about how perhaps the play is not a real occurrence but the manifestation of the conflict in Othello's mind between domesticity and the 'war-like' side, and this is piteous.

I barely made any good references to the question here, no reasons why we may like him, and no mention of him as a 'hero'. Used lots of critics and a decent amount of context, and quotes. Ideas?
Original post by RobynCWebster
I think that's a bit of an ignorant thing to say really. These questions are completely open to interpretation and a question that may feel completely accessible to you can easily be seen differently by anyone else. Personally, I felt that I wanted to speak about a range of characters rather than just Othello.

As you may be able to tell, I chose the storytelling question and I focused on the stories that Iago, Othello and Desdemona all tell in order to achieve the approval of other characters and the audience. I concluded my argument with the notion that perhaps stories are not so important as they are often seen as factual(ish) accounts but that instead, it was embellishments of the truth that were the driving force behind the play.

Not to get too defensive but I think it's quite possible that those of us who chose this question won't suffer as there will be less responses for the examiners to read and this may allow them to focus on the different ideas of each essay as I think this question was wider than the Othello one.

I wasn't condemning anyone who picked the stories question :confused: I was just genuinely interested in what people said in that question. If you feel threatened by my post then that just reflects your own confidence in your essay. That question was definitely answerable to Band 6 level had anyone been equipped with sufficient quotes.
Reply 205

Thank you for making me feel better <3
Original post by snow leopard
I wasn't condemning anyone who picked the stories question :confused: I was just genuinely interested in what people said in that question. If you feel threatened by my post then that just reflects your own confidence in your essay. That question was definitely answerable to Band 6 level had anyone been equipped with sufficient quotes.

I don't need to assure myself or anyone else of my confidence in my essay but no, that was not at all why I replied to your post. I just felt that you sounded rather condescending about the possibility that anyone would be silly enough to not choose 'the most accessible Othello question in years'.. I think they were roughly your words. And you did say that you would be 'fascinated' to hear from an individual, such as myself, who had chosen that question and I felt it was right to provide you with the information you wanted.

I didn't mean to sound so abrupt but English is such an open and wide topic that it confuses me how people can be so sure of themselves and their responses compared to others'.
Reply 207

I just tried to give you more rep, but it wouldn't let me...
Original post by zlgvicars

Paradise Lost is the most ridiculous and stupid poem that I have ever read.

I tried to read Wordsworth's sodding Preludes. Paradise Lost definitely a close second...

(Also hi Georgia, it's Fern :biggrin: )
I can't believe the Paradise Lost hate :frown:
Reply 210
I liked Paradise Lost... Sorry x)
I did actually quite like Paradise Lost. I thought it was a bit frustrating that we did Book 1 though- you do have to do some pretty A-class whangling to get much out of it in an exam...
hi how did everyone think they did in english?

umm does anyone know what Lit Texts in Time was about? Was that the coursework??

:smile:...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hannahchan
hi how did everyone think they did in english?

umm does anyone know what Lit Texts in Time was about? Was that the coursework??

:smile:...

Texts in Time is the coursework yeah. Ended up getting a scrape A* :smile:
Original post by LeSacMagique
Texts in Time is the coursework yeah. Ended up getting a scrape A* :smile:

oh wow that's really good congratz! I'm not going to say what I got hahaa.. :smile:. thanks for clearing it up!!
Missed out on an A* by two UMS. :frown:
Reply 216
120/120 in the exam and 72/80 in C/W! So relieved for an A*! Thought I'd COMPLETELY ballsed up the exam and not answered the Othello Q!

Congrats to everybody! <3
Original post by linney
120/120 in the exam and 72/80 in C/W! So relieved for an A*! Thought I'd COMPLETELY ballsed up the exam and not answered the Othello Q!

Congrats to everybody! <3

EXACTLY the same as me! Hahaa same, I almost cried when I got out of the exam, I'm still not convinced these are actually my results. :P

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!! Hope you all got what you wanted/needed, and if not, it's still (imo) the hardest subject because the questions are so unpredictable so well done for sticking with it! :biggrin:
Reply 218
Could anyone tell me the UMS marks needed for an A*? Thanks :smile:
Original post by eden500
Could anyone tell me the UMS marks needed for an A*? Thanks :smile:

You need 320+/400 overall with 180+ of that coming from A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending