The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature exam. F663. Othello, Duchess of Malfi and The Pardoner's t

I am absolutely bricking it for this exam. I need a B, would love and A, but haa that's not going to happen.

My best bets are Race, Othello's character, Othello and Iago's relationship or Dramatic devices of Locations.

What do others think?

For the comparison i'm thinking there will be something along the lines of corruption and sordid behaviour.

Wanna do well!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dione
I am absolutely bricking it for this exam. I need a B, would love and A, but haa that's not going to happen.

My best bets are Race, Othello's character, Othello and Iago's relationship or Dramatic devices of Locations.

What do others think?

For the comparison i'm thinking there will be something along the lines of corruption and sordid behaviour.

Wanna do well!

Hi! I'm doing Othello, Pardoner's Tale & Doctor Faustus :smile:

I've heard that race or Othello's character might come up, but I can never be sure.

Couldn't guess for the comparison...

How are you revising?
I'm doing Othello, Malfi and Donne and panicking cos I need an A*... I feel pretty confident about Othello cos I have a really good teacher for that and we've been over quotations and critics again and again, but I know barely anything about Donne and Malfi. :/ As regards revision, I've been going through all the texts and noting key quotations that relate to key characters or themes, and copying them out, I'm planning to make some spider diagrams today too. How many critics quotations do you guys have? Because I have loads written down for Malfi and Donne but I can't remember them, and they seem much more specific than the Othello ones I have. :s-smilie:
Have done no revision for this at all. ****ing ****ting it! Need to read the books, but can't start until the 14th (3 exams this week)

Luckily I only need a D for an A overall :lol:
Reply 4
Original post by Tsunami2011

Luckily I only need a D for an A overall :lol:

How do people work this out?

Because I need an A and am in a constant state of panic...
Reply 5
I'm doing Othello, Malfi and Donne and am feeling okay about it actually (we did a timed essay every lesson so I've done about 40...) but for revision, I'm not even looking at English until Classics and History is out of the way and when I do it'll be refreshing quotes/critics and maybe mapping out essay plans for themes like race and otherness/outsiders/military/husband and wives and for Malfi and Donne sex (obviously haha)/position of women/literary technique/railerry vs the malcontent.
Original post by cerrr
How do people work this out?

Because I need an A and am in a constant state of panic...

I can work out for you if you know all your marks.

I got 180/200 last year which left me needing 140/200 this year for an A.

I then got 38/40 raw marks on my c/w which is likely to be at least 72 UMS/80

That leaves me with 68/120 which is actually a relatively high D. :smile:
Reply 7
I can work out for you if you know all your marks.

I got 180/200 last year which left me needing 140/200 this year for an A.

I then got 38/40 raw marks on my c/w which is likely to be at least 72 UMS/80

That leaves me with 68/120 which is actually a relatively high D. :smile:

Ahh.. I don't know my coursework mark, so that pretty much leaves me in a grey area.

How did you work out what you need this year for an A based on last years marks?

(There's a reason I do English and not Maths - figures scare me ahahaaha)
Original post by cerrr
Ahh.. I don't know my coursework mark, so that pretty much leaves me in a grey area.

How did you work out what you need this year for an A based on last years marks?

(There's a reason I do English and not Maths - figures scare me ahahaaha)

If you know your AS mark overall, I can calculate it for you:wink: but you need 320UMS/400 for an A. 320-180 =140. Just take away your AS mark from 320 and you'll get the figure!
Reply 9
Can someone calculate mine!?

In AS I think I got 153/200 which equated to a Grade B
In A2 I have a coursework score of 36/40
What do I need to get in my A2 exam to get an A or a B overall?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
If you know your AS mark overall, I can calculate it for you:wink: but you need 320UMS/400 for an A. 320-180 =140. Just take away your AS mark from 320 and you'll get the figure!

Thank you, for all your help. I'm just going to have to pray and hope that I get what I need!
Original post by AGWolves
Can someone calculate mine!?

In AS I think I got 153/180 which equated to a Grade B
In A2 I have a coursework score of 36/40
What do I need to get in my A2 exam to get an A or a B overall?

320-153 is 167, so you would have needed a relatively low A(167) in A2 to pick up an A overall. 36/40 is likely to be around 69 or 70UMS/80. You'll probably need a low A to get an A overall. You're pretty secure for a B AFAIK, need a low E.

Original post by cerrr
Thank you, for all your help. I'm just going to have to pray and hope that I get what I need!

No probs, sure you don't want me to calculate it?
Reply 12
Ok cheers thanks a lot. I already have a high E, got that first time round when I had a shocker! So hopefully that should mean I just have a B, going to try and push for the A and hope for the best! Let's hope the markers aren't as harsh as January!
Reply 13

No probs, sure you don't want me to calculate it?

I'm sure thank you :smile:

If we don't know my cw mark there seems little value in it.

I'm pretty sure I need to get an A in the exam, so rather than calculating and such, I should just focus on trying to get that A haha!

It's all just so worrying because I am an A candidate but last year ended up with a C... so needless to say, I'm very worried.
Reply 14
Bricking it for this exam, just got scraped A last year (162), and have no idea how i've done in my coursework, so feeling very anxious! Hopefully i've done well enough in cw to only need a high b in the exam, as thats all i seem to be able to manage in practice essays, and i really need AAA for uni! Rant over, good luck everyone! x
Reply 15
I'm doing Othello, Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost.

Paradise Lost is the most ridiculous and stupid poem that I have ever read. How is anyone who is revising Paradise Lost learning quotes if the majority of the poem consists of only a few major things that actually happen?

Plus how is everyone managing to learn so many quotes and what type of quotes are you learning?

I need a B however I could get an A if I got more than 105/120 in the paper, which with 2 exams next week will be unlikely.

Good luck to all.
I'm also Othello + Faustus/Pardoner's Tale. I have an A*AA offer so I kind of want an A* in this but looking at UMS conversions from previous years I'd need to get 56/60 raw marks so I'm not getting my hopes up...

I wouldn't be surprised if race/Othello's character came up for the Othello, but I have no idea what will come up on the comparison; it's made harder by the fact that they have repeated some pretty similar ideas aross the years. Some sort of question about charisma maybe? They seem to quite like to ask about the extent to which certain character traits appeal to audiences despite that character's morality (or lack of). Or maybe something about indulgence/luxury/hedonism.

Original post by zlgvicars
Paradise Lost is the most ridiculous and stupid poem that I have ever read. How is anyone who is revising Paradise Lost learning quotes if the majority of the poem consists of only a few major things that actually happen?

Paradise Lost is, like, the best single thing ever written! I wish we were doing it...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
anyone got any esssays for othello and pardonerstale/dr faustus...or know of any good websites :smile: ? or perhaps have any predictions or tips on how to get an A in this exam...my cw is low so i need an A to get an over all B :frown: xxxx
Reply 18
Original post by katherine9
anyone got any esssays for othello and pardonerstale/dr faustus...or know of any good websites :smile: ? or perhaps have any predictions or tips on how to get an A in this exam...my cw is low so i need an A to get an over all B :frown: xxxx

There are some sample essays on the OCR website :smile:
How is everyone revising? I'm starting to feel awfully unprepared..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending