The Student Room Group

Ccea additional maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by quotidian
Was it not the other way round as IIRC b represented the amount of money in the high risk account?

possibly, i can't remember
Reply 21
I didn't find it overly hard. The only parts that threw me were the second and third parts of the equation to the tangent question and the last log question

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by quotidian
Was it not the other way round as IIRC b represented the amount of money in the high risk account?

i think i got it the other way around too! such a relief someone has the same answer as me! :smile:
Did really well in Paper 1. I think I only lost 2 marks, but Paper 2 was atrocious. I started to run out of time and couldn't think straight so completely left out the pulley question and screwed up the speed/time graph badly. In all I think I have lost about 20 marks.
Is it likely that I have lost my A*? What would ~170/200 be scaled up to?
AdMaths is my best and favourite subject so if I were to get an A rather than an A* I would strongly consider resitting it.
If I do resit, I have to do both papers again, don't I?
Reply 24
Original post by TheSilentFez
Did really well in Paper 1. I think I only lost 2 marks, but Paper 2 was atrocious. I started to run out of time and couldn't think straight so completely left out the pulley question and screwed up the speed/time graph badly. In all I think I have lost about 20 marks.
Is it likely that I have lost my A*? What would ~170/200 be scaled up to?
AdMaths is my best and favourite subject so if I were to get an A rather than an A* I would strongly consider resitting it.
If I do resit, I have to do both papers again, don't I?

You can resit either paper 1 or paper 2 or you can resit both.

Judging by everyones thoughts on the paper's I think the grade boundaries could be quite low. I'm near sure I heard someone saying that 45 / 100 in both papers was a C one year, so prehaps this year could be similar.
140/200 was an A in several years. They will definitely be scaled down judging on the response from everyone here.

Generally if you lose more than 25 marks your A* is gone in Add Math. I am just hoping for an A now. Absolutely horrific two papers from CCEA this year.
Reply 26
Both bad papers I thought - didn't like the V-T Graph final part today, nor the rough surface block final part or the mean/standard deviation.

Do the add maths marks scale in the same way the GCSE T4 etc do, whereby a certain percentage scales up to the full marks. :smile:
Original post by ConorF
140/200 was an A in several years. They will definitely be scaled down judging on the response from everyone here.

Generally if you lose more than 25 marks your A* is gone in Add Math. I am just hoping for an A now. Absolutely horrific two papers from CCEA this year.

I looked through the question paper (which I kept) and realised that it was only the pulley question which I really screwed up. I got all the answers wrong in the Velocity/Time graph questions because of one small error early on. I did the working out correctly for every other question, just using the wrong answer I got earlier. Do they give you full marks for error carried forward or will they penalise you?
If they give me error-carried forward marks, which I hope to God they do, then I have only lost about 14-16 marks. Add on the two marks I know I have lost in Pure and 5 marks just for unknown places I could have dropped, then I have lost 23 marks in total. Is it possible that I could just scrape an A*?

The A* Grade in a couple of past years was 171 UMS. Does anyone know how CCEA scale their marks? Would a raw mark of 175/200 be scaled down to 170 or lower?
I looked through the question paper (which I kept) and realised that it was only the pulley question which I really screwed up. I got all the answers wrong in the Velocity/Time graph questions because of one small error early on. I did the working out correctly for every other question, just using the wrong answer I got earlier. Do they give you full marks for error carried forward or will they penalise you?
If they give me error-carried forward marks, which I hope to God they do, then I have only lost about 14-16 marks. Add on the two marks I know I have lost in Pure and 5 marks just for unknown places I could have dropped, then I have lost 23 marks in total. Is it possible that I could just scrape an A*?

The A* Grade in a couple of past years was 171 UMS. Does anyone know how CCEA scale their marks? Would a raw mark of 175/200 be scaled down to 170 or lower?

All examiner reports, apart from the 2011 one, display the raw marks needed to get an A*/A or whatever grade you are aiming for: http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/microsites/mathematics/additional/examinations/index.asp

Hey silentfez, ive a similar problem to you on this one, i ended up with about 93 on the pure and 86 at least on the stats/mechs. I found them both really hard and considering i got 99 and 97 when i did last years papers as a mock thats a measure of how hard ccea decided to make this years. So the boundaries should definitely be lower than last year which were 141 for and a and 171 for an a* (ums)...but do you guys reckon 179/200 give or take a few marks would be enough to get an a*? (raw)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
hi! does anyone have a mark scheme for either paper?? it'd be a great help
Reply 31
anybody know answers for probability? would be greatly appreciated
Original post by conalltheconall
Hey silentfez, ive a similar problem to you on this one, i ended up with about 93 on the pure and 86 at least on the stats/mechs. I found them both really hard and considering i got 99 and 97 when i did last years papers as a mock thats a measure of how hard ccea decided to make this years. So the boundaries should definitely be lower than last year which were 141 for and a and 171 for an a* (ums)...but do you guys reckon 179/200 give or take a few marks would be enough to get an a*? (raw)

I got 100% in the Pure Mock and 94% in the Stats and Mechanics Mock, and I'm pretty sure I got 98% in the Pure Paper, but I completely failed the Pulley Question and lost 10 marks there. I also lost 3 in the inclined forces question and 2 in the Velocity Time graph question (they do give error-carried forward marks, don't they?) so at best, I have got 85% in that paper. I'll take another 5 marks off just in case and I have 178/200. I really really hope that is an A*.

Unfortunately, CCEA aren't good at explaining how raw marks are scaled up to UMS, so for all we know 178/200 could actually be scaled down to 170 or something.
Anyway, I personally think my predicted mark of 178/200 will just about scrape an A* in which case I will be relieved. If it doesn't, I will resit the paper next June, because AdMaths was one of the exams I really wanted to excel in (that and Latin)

Still annoyed that I didn't do better. I don't know why I couldn't do the pulley question. I took the question paper home with me and was able to do it instantly outside of exam conditions.
I'm normally very good at maths (if a little slow) so my pride has definitely taken a beating.
Oh well, I still have the capacity to beat everyone in my school at Latin :biggrin:
I got 100% in the Pure Mock and 94% in the Stats and Mechanics Mock, and I'm pretty sure I got 98% in the Pure Paper, but I completely failed the Pulley Question and lost 10 marks there. I also lost 3 in the inclined forces question and 2 in the Velocity Time graph question (they do give error-carried forward marks, don't they?) so at best, I have got 85% in that paper. I'll take another 5 marks off just in case and I have 178/200. I really really hope that is an A*.

Unfortunately, CCEA aren't good at explaining how raw marks are scaled up to UMS, so for all we know 178/200 could actually be scaled down to 170 or something.
Anyway, I personally think my predicted mark of 178/200 will just about scrape an A* in which case I will be relieved. If it doesn't, I will resit the paper next June, because AdMaths was one of the exams I really wanted to excel in (that and Latin)

Still annoyed that I didn't do better. I don't know why I couldn't do the pulley question. I took the question paper home with me and was able to do it instantly outside of exam conditions.
I'm normally very good at maths (if a little slow) so my pride has definitely taken a beating.
Oh well, I still have the capacity to beat everyone in my school at Latin :biggrin:

With the pure I got everything right up until the log question then it sort of knocked me of course and i made 2 silly mistakes after which will cost me around 3 marks. I actually made less silly mistakes in the stats/mechs paper but I just cannot understand given that probability and I had never seen a standard deviation question like the one given. I finished 3rd in Northern Ireland in my maths GCSE last year! :frown:

I can say with utmost certainty that our marks will definitely not be scaled down. CCEA only scale down if it was an easy paper, I don't know about your school, but in my opinion both papers were the hardest I've encountered so we should be scaled up, so I think raw marks of 170+ should be enough to secure an A*. But like you, I'm just gutted I didn't perform better/
Original post by conalltheconall
With the pure I got everything right up until the log question then it sort of knocked me of course and i made 2 silly mistakes after which will cost me around 3 marks. I actually made less silly mistakes in the stats/mechs paper but I just cannot understand given that probability and I had never seen a standard deviation question like the one given. I finished 3rd in Northern Ireland in my maths GCSE last year! :frown:

I can say with utmost certainty that our marks will definitely not be scaled down. CCEA only scale down if it was an easy paper, I don't know about your school, but in my opinion both papers were the hardest I've encountered so we should be scaled up, so I think raw marks of 170+ should be enough to secure an A*. But like you, I'm just gutted I didn't perform better/

Yes, from the feedback I got, both papers were nasty so I think I'm fairly certain that a raw mark over 170 will be an A*.
So unless I have made more stupid errors than I previously thought (I hope to God I haven't) then I should just manage an A*
Nevertheless, it's still a disappointment that I didn't get 190+ as I was expecting based on past papers. :frown:

I still haven't done my maths GCSE...didn't get into the accelerated maths class.
It's this Wednesday. Hopefully it will be nicer than AdMaths.
Reply 35
what answers did you find for standard deviation question?
Reply 36
Ad Maths papers were a piece of cake. Easy stuff.
Reply 37
for sd i got 6.83 and mean 32.5 but i was prob completely wrong
Reply 38
Original post by KitKat123
for sd i got 6.83 and mean 32.5 but i was prob completely wrong

Thanks! What about the last few parts of probability question?
this is quite random, but are any of yous doing religion and/ or geography?

Quick Reply

Latest