Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blatter on penalty shoot-outs

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To those suggesting golden goal, I'm not sure how old you are but the golden goal rule was horrific. It led to some really boring, cagey, defensive and uninspired football because both teams would be so desperate not to lose as opposed to winning.

The system right now isn't broken and there's no need to fix it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he also say that goal line technology is bad because professional football should be the same as grassroots football, or something like that?

Man's a moron. Also I agree that golden goal isn't the way to go; rugby league does use the golden point at times, but the sports are very different.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    How so?

Footballers train every day, just as much as much as people in many other sports. Please find me a few examples of large amounts of players complaining, thanks.
    1. Vast exaggeration.
    2. Nothing to do with what you are discussing
    But thanks for the irrelevant point.
    Training doesn't come into it as much because most sports require around the same level of training. So from that lets just say the amount they train is equal.

Let's take tennis as an example. Their calendar runs from around 1st January-Start of December. Footballers calendar starts around Mid August-Mid May. So that's about a difference of 2 months. They also player far more hours of tennis than footballers do football during competition. You also have to factor the travelling in some sports. In Football there is far less travelling. Away matches may be a couple of hours on average and European games for some clubs obviously more. Tennis players are travelling between continents and spend hours in airports, along with other sports where competition requires players to travel. This makes for a far more gruelling schedules than Football. Please let me reiterate: I am not saying footballers are unfit, but why do many feel the need to complain about schedule demands when they are no worse off than the majority of other sports.

Thanks for the observation, but no, it is actually relevant. Footballers attitudes, particularly on the pitch (the playacting etc.) come hand in hand with their want for less matches in a year.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)
    Let's take tennis as an example. Their calendar runs from around 1st January-Start of December. Footballers calendar starts around Mid August-Mid May. So that's about a difference of 2 months.
    Ignoring other competitions and ignoring the training they continually do, ofcourse.

They also player far more hours of tennis than footballers do football during competition
    Football is also much more demanding than Tennis. Six hours of football training will require more energy than 6 hours of tennis training.

but why do many feel the need to complain about schedule demands when they are no worse off than the majority of other sports.
    Still waiting for proof of this (ye, there is none) As your rambling is getting quite boring.

Thanks for the observation, but no, it is actually relevant. Footballers attitudes, particularly on the pitch (the playacting etc.) come hand in hand with their want for less matches in a year.
    Nope, unfortunately, not relevant to fitness or levels of training etc required at all.

Keep trying though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring other competitions and ignoring the training they continually do, ofcourse.

Football is also much more demanding than Tennis. Six hours of football training will require more energy than 6 hours of tennis training.

Still waiting for proof of this (ye, there is none) As your rambling is getting quite boring.

Nope, unfortunately, not relevant to fitness or levels of training etc required at all.

Keep trying though.
    I don't even think you are grasping what I am said in the 1st place. I am not saying footballers are unfit but they tend to think of themselves of having things far worse than every other sport, which is not the case, hence the playacting and other unprofessional acts that footballers often commit.

Football training is definitely not more demanding then tennis training. Both sports require aerobic endurance, strength, core strength and other aspects of physical fitness. So that side of training isn't going to be any different, really. Technical training is far less intense and again they are about equal.

Tennis players get breaks between points, yes, but the energy expended in a tennis rally is more intense than a part of a football match during the same time limit. Footballers don't tend to get breaks during the play, only when there is a break in the play do they get a chance to do so. And another thing I don't think your grasping: I'm focussing more on the overall schedule of competition. This isn't just the physical side I'm discussing. Tennis players must travel more, have a longer calendar, have to hang about at courts because they don't know when there match is going to be etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do find it strange that Blatter's calling for a review of penalties, having previously said group-stage World Cup games ending in a draw should go straight to penalties...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    The man is hilarious, England lose on pens in 1990, 1996, 1998, 2004 and 2006 and theres no problem, an English team then beat a German team once and Blatters all upset :rofl2:
    I think he told the FA that replays in cup finals were outdated once upon a time, which means extra time and penalties.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying footballers are unfit but they tend to think of themselves of having things far worse than every other sport, which is not the case, hence the playacting and other unprofessional acts that footballers often commit.
    Playacting has absolutely nothing to do with how easy a player has it. Whatsoever.
    Like i have said, multiple times, and you have continued to ignore.

Football training is definitely not more demanding then tennis training.
    Yes, yes it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

And another thing I don't think your grasping: I'm focussing more on the overall schedule of competition. This isn't just the physical side I'm discussing. Tennis players must travel more, have a longer calendar, have to hang about at courts because they don't know when there match is going to be etc.
    All nothing to do with your original point and all completely idiotic i am afraid.

Travelling doesn't make something more demanding. When one player is travelling on a wednesday, the other is back in the country still training. Who is doing the most work here?

Your ignorance about the calender shines through with the fact you completely and utterly ignore all but your limited examples.

'Hanging about' would make things easier,would it not? If you are waiting around before a tennis match, i am still doing pre-game training, who is utting the most effort in?

As i said, rambling, no real points being made. Just stop now, showing you dont really have any clue what you are talking about.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Playacting has absolutely nothing to do with how easy a player has it. Whatsoever.
    Like i have said, multiple times, and you have continued to ignore.

Yes, yes it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

All nothing to do with your original point and all completely idiotic i am afraid.

Travelling doesn't make something more demanding. When one player is travelling on a wednesday, the other is back in the country still training. Who is doing the most work here?

Your ignorance about the calender shines through with the fact you completely and utterly ignore all but your limited examples.

'Hanging about' would make things easier,would it not? If you are waiting around before a tennis match, i am still doing pre-game training, who is utting the most effort in?

As i said, rambling, no real points being made. Just stop now, showing you dont really have any clue what you are talking about.
    My original was that the football calendar isn't as easy as many people make out so, yes, it is relevant. Yes, but the days they are travelling are their 'days off'. Not such a nice day off, huh? Hanging about the courts waiting not knowing when you are due on is mentally demanding - far more than football where mental strength is practically non existent compared to tennis.

You've shot yourself in the foot with that link haven't you - not once does it mention training. Nor does it mention anything about the schedules of a competition. Boxing is number one. That's fair because a single boxing match is extremely demanding. Football is higher than tennis which is also fair because a single football match is more demanding than an average tennis match. But my point is that tennis players have a longer year, basically no time off and play matches on consecutive days - as well as training these days as well.

Rambling? As far as I can see all you've done is say everything I have pointed out is untrue without any explanation. And the one time you did try and make a point and explain it (the link) you failed miserably.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hanging about the courts waiting not knowing when you are due on is mentally demanding - far more than football where mental strength is practically non existent compared to tennis.
    You are actually trying to say that hanging around is more demanding on a player than physically practicing his sport?

Jesus :facepalm2: Just shows your stupidity frankly.

You've shot yourself in the foot with that link haven't you - not once does it mention training.
    Deerrrrrpppp
    Jesus christ you arent a clever fellow are you.

The link states which sports are the most demanding from a number of factors. Simple as that. Football is more demanding, thus football training is more demanding. Very simple really.

If you have proof otherwise, feel free to show it. Otherwise i will just ignore it like i did with your 'Football layers like to moan' rambling.

But my point is that tennis players have a longer year, basically no time off and play matches on consecutive days - as well as training these days as well.
    Again, ignoring the vast differences in how long the year can be and subjectively picking out examples for your side. Cherry picking at its finest.

Come up with an actual point to make or go be an idiot somewhere else. Like i said, clear you dont actually a clue what you are rambling on about.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know it's fairly impractical, but I'd love to see the survival of the fittest option.

Play the normal half hour of extra time and if they're still level it becomes golden goal with no time limit and if you've already used your 3 substitutions, tough luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You are actually trying to say that hanging around is more demanding on a player than physically practicing his sort

Jesus :facepalm2: Just shows your stupidity frankly.

Deerrrrrpppp

Jesus christ you arent a clever fellow are you.

The link states which sports are the most demanding from a number of factors. Simple as that. Football is more demanding, thus football training is more demanding. Very simple really.

Again, ignoring the vast differences in how long the year can be and subjectively picking out examples for your side. Cherry picking at its finest.

Come up with an actual point to make or go be an idiot somewhere else. Like i said, clear you dont actually a clue what you are rambling on about.
    1. You haven't made any valid points, just telling me everything I am saying is wrong.

2. Instead of constructing a proper arguement you are resorting to quoting sections of my post and instead of giving explanations to why I am wrong, you are just failing to give any valid reasons to this.

3. If you are going to quote me then don't pick out parts of it and take it out of context.

4. I am saying that considering time travelling is a tennis players 'day off', it's not very good compared to footballers who often go home at to their family and loved ones which tennis players do not.

5. Saying things like ''dddeerrrpppp'' and resorting to flaming also shows your lack of intelligence and unwillingness to engage in a civil debate. There is no need to get aggressive just because you can't structure your arguement properly.

6. (this one is my favourite) If you're telling me that the link you send me is conclusive evidence for both how demanding a sport is and training (which it doesn't mention anyway), I'd suggest you go back to the link and have a good look over the table again. I'll give you a hint: The sport ranked no.10. and then sport ranked no.7
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    I know it's fairly impractical, but I'd love to see the survival of the fittest option.

Play the normal half hour of extra time and if they're still level it becomes golden goal with no time limit and if you've already used your 3 substitutions, tough luck.
    I've always wanted to see this. I see where you are coming from about it being impractical but many sports don't have set time limits on them so applying this rule to football wouldn't be that weird (especially when you consider that it'll only apply to cup competitions anyway). It would show what team wants it more. It'd be a lot more tactical as well knowing if you throw too many men forward you could be hit on the counter and it'd all be over.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. You haven't made any valid points, just telling me everything I am saying is wrong.

2. Instead of constructing a proper arguement you are resorting to quoting sections of my post and instead of giving explanations to why I am wrong, you are just failing to give any valid reasons to this.

3. If you are going to quote me then don't pick out parts of it and take it out of context.

4. I am saying that considering time travelling is a tennis players 'day off', it's not very good compared to footballers who often go home at to their family and loved ones which tennis players do not.

5. Saying things like ''dddeerrrpppp'' and resorting to flaming also shows your lack of intelligence and unwillingness to engage in a civil debate. There is no need to get aggressive just because you can't structure your arguement properly.

6. (this one is my favourite) If you're telling me that the link you send me is conclusive evidence for both how demanding a sport is and training (which it doesn't mention anyway), I'd suggest you go back to the link and have a good look over the table again. I'll give you a hint: The sport ranked no.10. and then sport ranked no.7
    It's you who's come into the football forum spouting nonsense about how easy footballers have it and how hard it is on poor tennis players who are apparently spending 365 days a year either at a tennis match or being bused to said tennis match.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    It's you who's come into the football forum spouting nonsense about how easy footballers have it and how hard it is on poor tennis players who are apparently spending 365 days a year either at a tennis match or being bused to said tennis match.
    I was just replying to someone who said that a golden goal rule would be unfair - which it wouldn't - because it wouldn't make footballers at any more demanding than most other sports. I'm not spouting nonsense, nor am I trying to wind people up. Someone chose to start a debate with me, and instead of them replying in a civil manner they have gotten more and more aggressive as they realise that they don't have an awful lot of good to say.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    You haven't made any valid points, just telling me everything I am saying is wrong.
    Ignoring the link.

Love the hypocritical points by the way.

When you state things, terribly idiotic things, like you have and do not substantiate them in any way, you do not have the right to comlain when others do the same and state yours are wrong.

You stated footballers moan more, i asked for proof, you provided none.
    You stated tennis is harder than football, you havent provided any proof, i did.
    Your only argument is cherry picking schedules and clutching at straws claiming time spent waiting is more demanding than actual work

Does every professional tennis player train every day and play say 38 weeks a year straight? No, no they do not. Many footballers do.

Not comparable at all as there is no direct time frame where both happens.

Also irrelevant, like a large majority of your points.

Try harder or take your clueless self elsewhere.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The blokes an idiot.
    What's unfair about losing if a player balls' it up from 12 yards out?

Football without penalties sounds like a very dull prospect.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    that they don't have an awful lot of good to say.
    Lets see.

You
    'Footballers moan more' - You provided no proof
    'Tennis is more demanding' - You provided no proof
    'Tennis players work for longer' - You provided no proof and cherry picked argument

Me
    'Football is more demanding' - gave a source

So.. who doesnt have much to say?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just replying to someone who said that a golden goal rule would be unfair - which it wouldn't - because it wouldn't make footballers at any more demanding than most other sports. I'm not spouting nonsense, nor am I trying to wind people up. Someone chose to start a debate with me, and instead of them replying in a civil manner they have gotten more and more aggressive as they realise that they don't have an awful lot of good to say.
    No no one was saying that anything is unfair. All the poster was saying was that it would lead to cramps and injuries, something which is true.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to see this. I see where you are coming from about it being impractical but many sports don't have set time limits on them so applying this rule to football wouldn't be that weird (especially when you consider that it'll only apply to cup competitions anyway). It would show what team wants it more. It'd be a lot more tactical as well knowing if you throw too many men forward you could be hit on the counter and it'd all be over.
    I don't think it would take "that" long either, given that in theory a shootout can take all night.

I believe in the last 20 years only 2 champions league 2 ties have gone the full 180 minutes tied at 0-0, and that's with 2 sets of fully fit players in each leg. I reckon most games would end within the first 30 minutes of golden goal(150 minutes overall)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.