The Student Room Group

AQA MPC3 31/05/12 revision thread AQA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey guys :smile: Just found this thread! I got a C in January -_- and I need an A to get into Warwick! :L I hope its not that hard, and being ironic as it was, I was able to do the 9 marker question as soon as I got back from the exam -______- I'm so glad I'm also doing AS Further Maths this year so my application modules can all switch round to get the best possible mark xD

Good Luck everyone! :smile: Luckily, my college have uploaded all the Soloman papers onto our intranet moodle page thing xD

I want to go to Warwick too, what course are you going to be applying for?
Original post by Sagacious

Oh cool :smile: Well, I've got an offer to study Chemistry this September, just retaking core 3 to get as high UMS as possible! :smile: what are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Oh cool :smile: Well, I've got an offer to study Chemistry this September, just retaking core 3 to get as high UMS as possible! :smile: what are you thinking of applying for?

Ah very nice, well good luck on C3! Warwick looks really nice.

I think I'll apply for either;

Maths, Maths and Physics or Physics. I'm still unsure.
Original post by ReTurd
what sort of marks are people getting in past papers?

Lowest i got is 68, highest is 74 :smile: i'm getting around 72-74 in the most recent ones :smile:
Original post by Mortson
Unless AQA do us over with another heroic lineup of 9 mark, 7 mark, 7 mark then I think it will be reasonable. Expect a difficult big marker though.

The big markers are never more difficult than the normal ones, just instead of putting it in 3 steps they put it all in one.
Ah very nice, well good luck on C3! Warwick looks really nice.

I think I'll apply for either;

Maths, Maths and Physics or Physics. I'm still unsure.

Thanks! And I know, I cannot wait to hopefully *touches wood* study there! And cool xD Well, at least you still have a lot of time to think! :biggrin:
Reply 26
My advice for this exam is to ensure you're taking in a calculator that can numerically integrate, as it's extremely useful for checking your answers, etc. A model like the Casio fx-991ES PLUS or a graphical calculator like the TI-84. I found that when I finished the Core 3 in January, I could go through the paper and check almost every single question to see if I got the same solution. :smile:
Reply 27

I regret not applying to Warwick. The biomedical chemistry course there seemed really good but I decided it would be too far to commute from home, and I didn't want to live awa from home unless I got into Medicine.

So I applied to Biochemistry at Birmingham instead. But I have since decided to move out regardless, meaning I may as well have applied to Warwick. Hopefully it won't matter because I have a place to study Medicine, but if I don't get straight A's (with maths being the least likely for me to get an A) I'll end up going to Birmingham.
Original post by pcorbett94
I regret not applying to Warwick. The biomedical chemistry course there seemed really good but I decided it would be too far to commute from home, and I didn't want to live awa from home unless I got into Medicine.

So I applied to Biochemistry at Birmingham instead. But I have since decided to move out regardless, meaning I may as well have applied to Warwick. Hopefully it won't matter because I have a place to study Medicine, but if I don't get straight A's (with maths being the least likely for me to get an A) I'll end up going to Birmingham.

:frown: I'm sure Birmingham is still great, good luck on getting an A in Maths and for getting onto Medicine.

Original post by Oromis263
My advice for this exam is to ensure you're taking in a calculator that can numerically integrate, as it's extremely useful for checking your answers, etc. A model like the Casio fx-991ES PLUS or a graphical calculator like the TI-84. I found that when I finished the Core 3 in January, I could go through the paper and check almost every single question to see if I got the same solution. :smile:

Yeah , I have a Casio fx-9750GII. It is great; like you say, to check your integrals etc. It's also useful for graphs and transformations etc
Reply 29

I may well invest in one of these for the exam. My simple Casio has gone awol and the ln and 0 keys won't work. I was always under the impression that graphical calculators weren't allowed in exams. Have no idea why.
Reply 30
Original post by pcorbett94
I may well invest in one of these for the exam. My simple Casio has gone awol and the ln and 0 keys won't work. I was always under the impression that graphical calculators weren't allowed in exams. Have no idea why.

The only exam you're not allowed a calculator in is Core 1. After that, you can take any model in you want, as long as it doesn't perform algebraic manipulations.
Reply 31
The only exam you're not allowed a calculator in is Core 1. After that, you can take any model in you want, as long as it doesn't perform algebraic manipulations.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll invest in the Casio fx-991ES PLUS as I can't afford a graphics calculator.
Do it. It's the best investment you'll ever make, great at checking if you've made any stupid integration mistakes
Reply 33
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Do it. It's the best investment you'll ever make, great at checking if you've made any stupid integration mistakes

using a Casio fx-991ES PLUS?

i have one of these, i didnt know you could do integrations stuff on it. how?
I'm going to attempt some of the soloman papers because I've finished all the past-papers.

I am fairly confident with C3; I got 71/75 in the January 2012 past-paper.

Who else is aiming for as close to full UMS as possible (for an A*)?

Im aiming to get full marks in this exams. Make sure you write down all your anwers in your calculator at the end so we can make an unofficial mark scheme
Just wondering - if you do a question using a different method to the mark scheme but still get the right answer, do you get all of the marks? For example, on the Jan 12 paper on 6b, I did integration by substitution like the question asked you to do but then simplified in a different way to the mark scheme but got to the same answer in the end, so would I still get the full 9 marks? On the same paper on q4a I used a different method to the mark scheme again but still got to the same answer.

Thanks.
Original post by AquilaXenon
Just wondering - if you do a question using a different method to the mark scheme but still get the right answer, do you get all of the marks? For example, on the Jan 12 paper on 6b, I did integration by substitution like the question asked you to do but then simplified in a different way to the mark scheme but got to the same answer in the end, so would I still get the full 9 marks? On the same paper on q4a I used a different method to the mark scheme again but still got to the same answer.

Thanks.

Yh most probably, As i hear math teachers mark these paper so they will be able to deduce that it is the same thing.
Original post by darkshadow1111
Yh most probably, As i hear math teachers mark these paper so they will be able to deduce that it is the same thing.

That's good, my brain works in weird ways during these exams sometimes!
Reply 38
I'm in for this one again.... take 2! Hopefully should be OK. I've done a few mocks today and feeling fairly confident. I guess it depends what AQA decide to throw at us on the 31st! Best of luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by darkshadow1111
Im aiming to get full marks in this exams. Make sure you write down all your anwers in your calculator at the end so we can make an unofficial mark scheme

Will do! :smile:

I don't know about you, but I make a ton of silly mistakes, hopefully I don't make any on Thursday for full UMS! Good luck :smile:

Original post by AquilaXenon

Thanks.

In Mathematics, you will always get full marks if you get the same final answer, as long as the question doesn't specifically ask you to use a certain method; in which case you will lose marks for using an alternative method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending