The Student Room Group

AQA MPC3 31/05/12 revision thread AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
A nice analogy:

Imagine that your equation is a rifle. The DOMAIN is the bullet (or what you put IN), and the RANGE is how far it will go (or the answers you will get out). Hope this helps. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 61
Original post by SpringNicht
Got an E in january :eek: Have a total of 332 from C1, C2, M1, D1 so need 148 for an A over C3 and C4

I agree that the range thing is a pain, I've never completely got that

Me too. i need 148 put of C3 and C4 for an A overall. Im sitting both for the first time.
How are you doing on past papers?
Also how confident/were you doing in practice papers before you got got the E? were you simply not prepared or just had a bad day on the exam?
Reply 62
Original post by Mortson
A nice analogy:

Imagine that your equation is a rifle. The DOMAIN is the bullet (or what you put IN), and the RANGE is how far it will go (or the answers you will get out). Hope this helps. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quite nice...
So,Can I have some real example?
Original post by ReTurd
Me too. i need 148 put of C3 and C4 for an A overall. Im sitting both for the first time.
How are you doing on past papers?
Also how confident/were you doing in practice papers before you got got the E? were you simply not prepared or just had a bad day on the exam?
I was getting 90% ish on all the past papers I did lol

I saw the 9 mark question and suddenly couldn't do maths anymore :colondollar: Didn't help I had a migraine during the exam either, special consideration didn't help all that much

I'm getting 90%ish again, but gonna aim for 95% before I'm happy
Reply 64
I need help on order of transformations - can someone tell me what's is the order? And an easy way to remember them. I also struggle to draw the inverse graph - any shortcut or trick to do it :tongue:
Just been going through a revision book and found something about standard integrals. They're in a C3 AQA textbook, but it's the first time I've seen them and I've never seen them in a past paper. We don't get tested on these do we?
Reply 66
Original post by sii217
Just been going through a revision book and found something about standard integrals. They're in a C3 AQA textbook, but it's the first time I've seen them and I've never seen them in a past paper. We don't get tested on these do we?

They've never been tested - but they're in the formula booklet i believe.
Original post by sii217

They can put a weird integral in and expect you to use it to find the answer

But they're all in the formula book so basically if you've got a weird integral make sure you look in the formula book
Reply 68
Original post by sii217

The two standard integrals are no longer part of the C3 syllabus, it is not necessary to know these and you will not be tested on them.
Reply 69
Original post by VQG
I need help on order of transformations - can someone tell me what's is the order? And an easy way to remember them. I also struggle to draw the inverse graph - any shortcut or trick to do it :tongue:

Order of transformations: I just get the new equation and work backwards until I can get the original one (does that make any sense to you? :s-smilie: lol)

I do 1 of 2 things for drawing the inverse function graph, depending on how complex the function is.

a) if it is relativly simple I will simply draw y=x and reflect it.
b) if it is more complex I will work out co-ordinates
Reply 70
Original post by stevop21
Order of transformations: I just get the new equation and work backwards until I can get the original one (does that make any sense to you? :s-smilie: lol)

I do 1 of 2 things for drawing the inverse function graph, depending on how complex the function is.

a) if it is relativly simple I will simply draw y=x and reflect it.
b) if it is more complex I will work out co-ordinates

There are slightly easier ways to do it - I did this in January but I've forgotten my methods :frown:

I think for inverse: reflect in y = x, and then rotate the page/graph 90 degrees.

For transformations I believe it's:
X - 1. Reflection 2. Stretch 3. Translation
Y - 1. Translation 2. Stretch 3. Reflection

Just need someone to confirm it.
Original post by VQG
There are slightly easier ways to do it - I did this in January but I've forgotten my methods :frown:

I think for inverse: reflect in y = x, and then rotate the page/graph 90 degrees.

For transformations I believe it's:
X - 1. Reflection 2. Stretch 3. Translation
Y - 1. Translation 2. Stretch 3. Reflection

Just need someone to confirm it.

I've been taught that for transformations its
X - Translation, Stretch then Reflection
Y - Stretch, Reflection and then translation

Again, not sure if that's right, but its what I've been taught and it works :s-smilie:
Original post by kenau
ok,thank you so much:colondollar:
How's your revise going?_? Are you ready for the exam:biggrin:?

Revision is going great. I should stop making silly mistakes on the papers, though. I'm getting As and Bs on every Solomon paper that I do so I hope that I will be prepared for anything which the examiner throws at me! :smile:

And for the range, think about Ln(x) or Log(x). They have the range greater than zero because of the graph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Log.svg/300px-Log.svg.png

You see? It gets closer and closer to zero but never reaches it both on the x and y axis. Therefore the range is greater than zero.

And the quadratic x^2 can only output positive values and zero. You can't have a square root of a negative number in the real number system. The shape of the graph shows you that the minimum it can output is zero.

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt668/EMAT6680.Folders/Barron/unit/Lesson%206/image24.gif

For quadratics, in order to find the range you have to do the C1/C2 work of finding its vertex.

Domain is what you input the machine of Maths and the range is what you get in the end.
Reply 73
Does anyone have the Core 3 Jan 12 Paper and mark scheme?

It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 74
Original post by Kevalavek
Does anyone have the Core 3 Jan 12 Paper and mark scheme?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Here you go:biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by JulietheCat
Revision is going great. I should stop making silly mistakes on the papers, though. I'm getting As and Bs on every Solomon paper that I do so I hope that I will be prepared for anything which the examiner throws at me! :smile:

And for the range, think about Ln(x) or Log(x). They have the range greater than zero because of the graph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Log.svg/300px-Log.svg.png

You see? It gets closer and closer to zero but never reaches it both on the x and y axis. Therefore the range is greater than zero.

And the quadratic x^2 can only output positive values and zero. You can't have a square root of a negative number in the real number system. The shape of the graph shows you that the minimum it can output is zero.

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt668/EMAT6680.Folders/Barron/unit/Lesson%206/image24.gif

For quadratics, in order to find the range you have to do the C1/C2 work of finding its vertex.

Domain is what you input the machine of Maths and the range is what you get in the end.

Agree with you:smile:I should stop my silly mistake as well,something like domain and range,and use radian and degree to calculate somethings,alway forgot to turn the mode in my calculator:s-smilie:.The mid-odinate rule are very easy getting wrong........ So now I am so careful to do every pastpaper,but I haven't do so much Solomon paper as they have somethings different with AQA,like I never seen integration by subsitution have u^2,and I have no idea how to do it.

Anyway,thanks for explain it. So is it range is for y,domain is for x?
I'm actually jealous of you guys. These papers are so easy. When I did it last year i got 96UMS.

Edit: Don't be hating. They are easy compared to university exams. When I was doing my A levels I maybe reserved 2 days to revise for each maths exam and got 5 results of 90~ or above. I could have a got a lot more considering my A levels. As long as you know the material, which isn't difficult for core units and around 6 others, then the answers are virtually spoonfed to you. Doing past papers is ideal too but it's not overly difficult.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kenau
Agree with you:smile:I should stop my silly mistake as well,something like domain and range,and use radian and degree to calculate somethings,alway forgot to turn the mode in my calculator:s-smilie:.The mid-odinate rule are very easy getting wrong........ So now I am so careful to do every pastpaper,but I haven't do so much Solomon paper as they have somethings different with AQA,like I never seen integration by subsitution have u^2,and I have no idea how to do it.

Anyway,thanks for explain it. So is it range is for y,domain is for x?

Yes, range is y and domain is x. The substitution with u^2, you just rearrange for x and diffrentiate it.

U^2=X-1
X=U^2+1

Diffrentiate the x function and since it is dx/du, you have to multiply the derivative (2U) by the function which you are trying to integrate. I had such questions in my textbook but never realised where I was going wrong! Now I know how to do it. :smile:
Hey guys, I was just going through the textbook and there was a section on standard integrals, which I don't remember going through in class.

So basically, I was just wondering, if there was a standard integral question, would they give us the substitution to use, or would they expect us to recognise it and go through it ourselves? thanks :smile:
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey guys, I was just going through the textbook and there was a section on standard integrals, which I don't remember going through in class.

So basically, I was just wondering, if there was a standard integral question, would they give us the substitution to use, or would they expect us to recognise it and go through it ourselves? thanks :smile:

^^^^^

Check posts 67 - 69.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending