The Student Room Group

Teacher didnt submitt my coursework- HELP.

I re-sit English literature on the 16th of may. My teacher told us on the 26th of april we could re-do our coursework so along as we changed the title and improved upon the coursework. I did this and gave my coursework (along with my a2 coursework) to the 'coursework teacher' on the 2nd of may. However, i was told two days ago (23rd) that my teacher didn't submit my AS coursework because apprently it was 'too late'. It's merely a case of he didnt want to/have time to mark it, because i gave it to him 13 days before the deadline, which left plently of time. Yet he still managed to submitt my a2 coursework.

The head of sixth and executive have told me they're taking the situation to the board of govenors (i attend and academy) to ensure it doesnt happen again as this is very serious, but they cant help me. Is there anything i can do? What if i contacted AQA?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by HMac94
I re-sit English literature on the 16th of may. My teacher told us on the 26th of april we could re-do our coursework so along as we changed the title and improved upon the coursework. I did this and gave my coursework (along with my a2 coursework) to the 'coursework teacher' on the 2nd of may. However, i was told two days ago (23rd) that my teacher didn't submit my AS coursework because apprently it was 'too late'. It's merely a case of he didnt want to/have time to mark it, because i gave it to him 13 days before the deadline, which left plently of time. Yet he still managed to submitt my a2 coursework.

The head of sixth and executive have told me they're taking the situation to the board of govenors (i attend and academy) to ensure it doesnt happen again as this is very serious, but they cant help me. Is there anything i can do? What if i contacted AQA?

The entry deadline (the point when the school had to tell AQA you were re-entering the c/w and pay to do so, just like any other re-sit or entry) was 21 March. It was still possible to enter the for the coursework on 26th April but it would have cost 2.5x the original fee (about £45). I expect that the entry was made for your A2 coursework at the normal time and fees so there was no problem submitting it.

The work had to be submitted to AQA by 15 May.

Had you paid to re-submit the coursework? if you were unhappy with the coursework mark you got in Y12 then why didn't you do anything about it sooner?

It sounds as if the teacher wanted to help but didn't understand the system very well. (I've met teachers before who didn't realise that coursework is just like any other exam entry). It's unfortunate but there is no point contacting AQA now. It's too late and they won't deal with you directly anyway. You'll have to use it to learn that you need to be a bit more proactive if you want to redo something in future.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
The entry deadline (the point when the school had to tell AQA you were re-entering the c/w and pay to do so, just like any other re-sit or entry) was 21 March. It was still possible to enter the for the coursework on 26th April but it would have cost 2.5x the original fee (about £45). I expect that the entry was made for your A2 coursework at the normal time and fees so there was no problem submitting it.

The work had to be submitted to AQA by 15 May.

Had you paid to re-submit the coursework? if you were unhappy with the coursework mark you got in Y12 then why didn't you do anything about it sooner?

It sounds as if the teacher wanted to help but didn't understand the system very well. (I've met teachers before who didn't realise that coursework is just like any other exam entry). It's unfortunate but there is no point contacting AQA now. It's too late and they won't deal with you directly anyway. You'll have to use it to learn that you need to be a bit more proactive if you want to redo something in future.

It was my teachers choice it enter us at the last minute? It's hardly my fault at all, i never paid to re-submit the coursework, the school paid because during AS we had 5 different teachers. My coursework in the first place was a C, i wanted to re-submit it to increase the grade. My teacher could have easily re-submitted my coursework, he had just under two weeks to do so, even the headteacher agreed. Hardly need to learn a lesson when it wasn't my fault and i completed my work in the time indicated. Thanks for your advice though, the school has contacted me and told they're in contact with AQA who will accept my coursework for a price, so not only are you judemental but you're wrong. Idiot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HMac94

If it does affect you in anyway especially with your UCAS stuff, you should get your school to talk to the university explaining the situation and whether they'll accept it.
Original post by HMac94
Thanks for your advice though, the school has contacted me and told they're in contact with AQA who will accept my coursework for a price, so not only are you judemental but you're wrong. Idiot.

Don't be so condescending when you've posted on an online forum asking for advice - just because it isn't what you want to hear doesn't mean it isn't their opinion which they are freely allowed to give.

In fact, he is actually referring to the actual rules and deadlines for coursework to be submitted to AQA, which is indeed May 15th. AQA are essentially breaking their rules for you, or your school/you are making it up.
Reply 5
Original post by HMac94
the school has contacted me and told they're in contact with AQA who will accept my coursework for a price, so not only are you judemental but you're wrong. Idiot.

There is quite a big difference between the school contacting AQA this week and you doing it next. (It seems strange that your school rang you with the news that AQA would accept the work in the 50 minutes between your first post and this one.)
Reply 6
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Don't be so condescending when you've posted on an online forum asking for advice - just because it isn't what you want to hear doesn't mean it isn't their opinion which they are freely allowed to give.

In fact, he is actually referring to the actual rules and deadlines for coursework to be submitted to AQA, which is indeed May 15th. AQA are essentially breaking their rules for you, or your school/you are making it up.

I was essentially asking for advice, but i'm being told i need to be more proactive, insinuating it's my fault, when it quite clearly isn't. AQA aren't breaking no rules, my school have taken responsibility and will be paying the money AQA have stated to ensure that my coursework can be submitted. I'm not denying that person an opinion but it most definitely will defend myself.
Reply 7
could it be because the teacher didn't like you?
Reply 8
Original post by Data
There is quite a big difference between the school contacting AQA this week and you doing it next. (It seems strange that your school rang you with the news that AQA would accept the work in the 50 minutes between your first post and this one.)

I had a meeting with the head of sixthform and the headteacher/ senior leader of English who after my meeting had to meet with the board of governors. I can only assume they have ensured this is recified quickly because it would look bad on my school whose attracting alot of attention from the local paper for bad ofsted reports and frequent police visits.
Reply 9
Original post by smd4std
could it be because the teacher didn't like you?

Haha, could be, yeah!
Original post by HMac94
I was essentially asking for advice, but i'm being told i need to be more proactive, insinuating it's my fault, when it quite clearly isn't. AQA aren't breaking no rules, my school have taken responsibility and will be paying the money AQA have stated to ensure that my coursework can be submitted. I'm not denying that person an opinion but it most definitely will defend myself.

"Aren't breaking no rules" is shocking grammar for an A Level English student, and quite frankly you're wrong. Go onto the AQA website and read their guidelines and rules for submitting coursework - "no coursework will be accepted past the specified deadline"; They are therefore breaking rules by admitting your coursework piece, and if any other pupil who was in the same situation and was rejected saw this, I'd thoroughly suggest they make a formal complaint - rules are set in stone for a reason.

Quick Reply

Latest