The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't mean to be rude, but conservatives ARE monarchists...if you aren't a monarchist you are most likely a liberal (or democrat by american definition), or something entirely different, like a communist.but you only need to look at what a conservative is, somebody who like the old ways the way they are, and is opposed to change allowing additional freedom.these are the OPPOSITE of the people who have given you democracy (believing individual opinions matter, and rights should be used to protect that). and because democracy and human-rights are liberal concepts by definition, conservative ones (being based historically on the monarch) support monarchy as the ideal state of government, and seek to reverse changes.its taken hundreds of years of liberal changes to get the UK to where it is now, still one of the most conservative countries in the west.

conservatives also want more government control of: everything
and less government control of: leaders (called less accountability).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by xan666
I don't mean to be rude, but conservatives ARE monarchists...if you aren't a monarchist you are most likely a liberal (or democrat by american definition), or something entirely different, like a communist.

I'm not sure where that leaves us Liberal Conservatives, who are largely pro-monarchy and - in my own case - have very little to say on allegiances to the American political system.

but you only need to look at what a conservative is, somebody who like the old ways the way they are, and is opposed to change allowing additional freedom.these are the OPPOSITE of the people who have given you democracy (believing individual opinions matter, and rights should be used to protect that). and because democracy and human-rights are liberal concepts by definition, conservative ones (being based historically on the monarch) support monarchy as the ideal state of government, and seek to reverse changes.its taken hundreds of years of liberal changes to get the UK to where it is now, still one of the most conservative countries in the west.

Conservatism isn't about simply not changing things - indeed, some of our most radical Prime Ministers have been both Conservatives and in many senses conservative too. Disraeli said "I'm a Conservative to retain all that is good in our constitution and a radical to change all that is bad".

At the heart of conservatism is a resistance to grand promises of easy solutions to complex questions, and a suspicion of utopian promises. But of course, it can must be considered in terms of the existing political system in any given society: a "rebel" may be either left-wing or right-wing depending on what they are rebelling against, but there is something common to both: a rebellion against an established order, a wish to bring about change and a radical adherence to it.

Conservatives, on the other hand, have some fondness for liberal parliamentary democracy and capitalist economics, certainly, but that is not their only characteristic.
Original post by internetguru
So most of us know that there will be a referendum on retaining the monarchy here in the virtual world of TSR. Recent real life polls indicate that conservatives are far more supportive of the monarchy than liberals. As a conservative I feel it is my responsibility to inform my fellow conservatives why they should be republicans.

The tradition, financial, power arguments etc are all irrelevant in modern society as the only real purpose of the monarchy is to display a powerful message. Some have tried to distort that message but I believe the real message conveyed by having a monarchy is certainly not one a conservative can support. Traditional conservative values of hard work, taking care of yourself etc are all a contradiction to the monarchy. The royal family do not get where they are by working hard and they certainly do not take care of themselves. They got to where they were by just turning up at birth. We want to send the message to the people that to get anywhere you have to work for it you can't just laze about and hope for it to happen. Is it a surprize to any of you that we have so many scroungers and people unwilling to try in our country when the biggest scroungers of all the monarchy sit at the helm? The monarchy is a symbol of everything we conservatives resent, and we must join together and vote to rid our virtual country of them once and for all!

You should research where the monarchy gets its money from because it is certainly not the taxpayer, the following video by a reputable youtuber explains why taxes are lower THANKS to the monarchy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw
Calling for a British republic will render you less conservative, but that's good, and that's exactly the point. We need to restore the spirit of Whiggery, if not its basics.

Latest

Trending

Trending