Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Much Is The Catholic Church Worth?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    This is something that has bugged me for a really long time. Now it mainly started after I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, which I know isn't 100% accurate or anything but the mentions of all the art work, sculptures and everything owned by the Vatican is crazy. Over the thousands of years that Catholicism has been around they must have lots of money in assets in the Vatican. So I have two questions.

• Firstly, how much is all this worth? I know it is practically impossible to know as I bet it is a well kept secret what they actually own. However, how much money in assets and real-estate does the Church own?
    • Secondly, why don't they sell some of this? I constantly see churches in horrid condition due to thieves stealing lead and vandalism so why doesn't the Chuch sell some assets to help these churches. Better still, why don't they sell some stuff and make donations the groups such as CAFOD ect? After-all charity is a major part of Catholicism.

That is all. Thanks!
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    :hello:
    You'd answer this better than I would, Adam :yes:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrybithell196)
    Hello,
    This is something that has bugged me for a really long time. Now it mainly started after I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, which I know isn't 100% accurate or anything but the mentions of all the art work, sculptures and everything owned by the Vatican is crazy. Over the thousands of years that Catholicism has been around they must have lots of money in assets in the Vatican. So I have two questions.

• Firstly, how much is all this worth? I know it is practically impossible to know as I bet it is a well kept secret what they actually own. However, how much money in assets and real-estate does the Church own?
    • Secondly, why don't they sell some of this? I constantly see churches in horrid condition due to thieves stealing lead and vandalism so why doesn't the Chuch sell some assets to help these churches. Better still, why don't they sell some stuff and make donations the groups such as CAFOD ect? After-all charity is a major part of Catholicism.

That is all. Thanks!

No one can honestly know, it'd be impossible to find out this information I assume as the Vatican probably keeps it a close guarded secret.

2. They could sell it, but it would not benefit UK churches. Churches in the UK are segregated into regions, known as a diocese. Each diocese is responsible for funding and in all honestly each church raises its own money through collections at each mass. Likewise, churches have collections for CAFOD (CAFOD boxes given out annually to church-goers) and other charities within each diocese, so the need for the vatican to sell arguably priceless and important religious artifacts just isn't really there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    No one can honestly know, it'd be impossible to find out this information I assume as the Vatican probably keeps it a close guarded secret.

2. They could sell it, but it would not benefit UK churches. Churches in the UK are segregated into regions, known as a diocese. Each diocese is responsible for funding and in all honestly each church raises its own money through collections at each mass. Likewise, churches have collections for CAFOD (CAFOD boxes given out annually to church-goers) and other charities within each diocese, so the need for the vatican to sell arguably priceless and important religious artifacts just isn't really there.
    Didn't Jesus occasionally mention something about rich people giving to poor people?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

I actually think they started releasing their finance information in order to show people they weren't making ridiculous amounts of money. They actually only came out from debt (i think) a couple of years ago.

They show that the revenue of the Holy See was $356 million in 2010 while its expenditure was $342 million, resulting in a surplus of $14 million.

Source
    Here's something else.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Didn't Jesus occasionally mention something about rich people giving to poor people?

Sort of, slightly. Not just rich people, everyone should give to others - regardless of wealth. As with the woman who only gave a couple of coins, who Jesus said gave as much as she could afford to give

(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    I actually think they started releasing their finance information in order to show people they weren't making ridiculous amounts of money. They actually only came out from debt (i think) a couple of years ago.

Here's something else.

I am mistaken! Well that puts that question to bed then!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Vatican are alleged to have secret documents passed to the Romans from the Egyptians about the beginning of human history, including documents purporting to tell the true story of Christianity and its links to the cult of Caesar.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, slightly.
    He only slightly? discusses rich people? Jesus made it pretty clear that amassing tremendous wealth, or even yearning for it (covetousness) is a great sin.

Matthew 6:19-20 - “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Mark 10:25 - It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Luke 12:15 - Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.

The idea that the Vatican is somehow exempt from that philosophy is absurd. I'm with Stephen Fry on that issue - if Christ had ever tried to approach that "palace of marble and gold", he would have been kicked out in an instant.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    The Vatican are alleged to have secret documents passed to the Romans from the Egyptians about the beginning of human history, including documents purporting to tell the true story of Christianity and its links to the cult of Caesar.
    Where do you get this information from? or is it just speculation?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrybithell196)
    Hello,

That is all. Thanks!
    Why don't you sell some of your stuff and it give it to charity? The Catholic Church is a charity, and gives a lot of money to help the poor, orphans, running schools, and helping developing countries.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because the church is a business. Maybe not so much in the olden days, but it's 2012 and they have a lot of money which they want to keep/add to. I agree, our local church is apparently going to be closing due to lack of funds, and there's a massive stash of cash and valuable objects hidden under the Vatican. Now, I am far from religious, but older local people here are very upset about this, and it bothers me somewhat.

But hey, Mark Zuckerberg isn't going to share the wealth with me just because I joined Facebook; same with religion it seems.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Catholic Church will not get rid of its artifacts, and nor will it pay due taxation. It will continue to worsen the human condition, and remain immune to Italian taxation, and retain its charity status despite its despicable abhorrence of both abortion and contraception.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    you made me LOL:p:)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.