The Student Room Group

pop punk/hardcore/metalcore chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Saw LTA, Gallows, Architects, While she sleeps, Don Broco, set your goals , the story so far and cancer bats today.

****ing amazing.

TSSF was ****ing brutal, worse that WSS oh my god they were amazing though
Gallows are amazing live

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mufasaa
Kvelertak! Amazing band. It's kinda different if you're not into them yet, at different points they sound like straight indie, punk or black metal all in the same song.

!!!

Never heard of these guys before until I went along to Camden with a friend and saw them in November. Listening to Blodtørst as I type . . .
Reply 142
Original post by tssf_skye
Yeah I agree about foster the people, i think they're a bit **** now tbh and I've never really heard any of arctic monkeys stuff, probably cause they come across as hugely overrated

Arctic monkeys are great, they're 3rd album wasn't that great, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon after the 2nd album. Listen to the 1st album though, every song is brilliant on it and its one of my favourite albums.

Do you like QOTSA?
Reply 143

good bands in this genre.

I scanned your opening post but not the rest of the thread.

The best British pop punk band to ever have existed are criminally under-listened, and you should really give them a go.

Captain Everything! played what became known as 100mph bubblebum pop punk. ****ing fantastic it was too. Bunch of guys having fun, playing fast, and singing about girls and other such rubbish.

And at the mention of hardcore don't anybody miss Graf Orlock when they visit England in July, they're only doing a couple of dates (with Lich and at least one with Hammers - both brilliant), and they are not to be missed.
Reply 144
OK I have read the thread now. I am glad my recmend of CE! was not in vein as they have not been mentioned.

Original post by Pi!

Rolo Tomassi
Pulled Apart By Horses

Man, these two bands. I hear so many good things about them. Can't say I have any idea why the praise is so high though. I saw These Arms Are Snakes a good few years ago, with Rolo Tomassi supporting. Except they didnt cos the lead singer was ID'd and not allowed into the venue as it was 18+ :colondollar: True story. And Pulled Apart By Horses, well...I was saddened to see the queue for their show on my way to seeing Kylesa/Circle Takes the Square/Ken Mode last year. Who in their right mind would rather see them than those 3 bands? Honestly one of the strongest line ups at a gig I can ever recall seeing, let alone actually going to.

Lad I went to school with's band released a split with Rolo Tomassi, they used to be called Mirror! Mirror!, but changed their name. Or was it something else and they changed to to Mirror! Mirror!...I don't recall. I was told they sounded like Ex-Models, who I think are fantastic. They don't.

Gosh that was a rather unprompted outburst. I'll just post some bands maybe possibly suitable for the thread now

The Mae Shi (convinced myself a few years ago these guys were going to be Animal Colletive-massive, but it doesnt seem to have happened)
Rapider Than Horsepower
Comanechi
PRE
Mihoen!
Mclusky
Half Man Half Biscuit
Limp Wrist
Mika Miko
Reply 145
Original post by Taurus
Arctic monkeys are great, they're 3rd album wasn't that great, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon after the 2nd album. Listen to the 1st album though, every song is brilliant on it and its one of my favourite albums.

Do you like QOTSA?

I'll listen to them! I've never heart of QOTSA, are they any good?

Have you heard of The Story So Far? They're amazing!
Reply 146
Original post by Palatial Veranda
!!!

Never heard of these guys before until I went along to Camden with a friend and saw them in November. Listening to Blodtørst as I type . . .

Aye, I was similar. I'd heard they were a decent live band but had no idea what they were like, and I caught them at Hit The Deck in Nottingham last year. Mindblowingly good band.
Reply 147
Original post by hogso
I scanned your opening post but not the rest of the thread.

The best British pop punk band to ever have existed are criminally under-listened, and you should really give them a go.

Captain Everything! played what became known as 100mph bubblebum pop punk. ****ing fantastic it was too. Bunch of guys having fun, playing fast, and singing about girls and other such rubbish.

And at the mention of hardcore don't anybody miss Graf Orlock when they visit England in July, they're only doing a couple of dates (with Lich and at least one with Hammers - both brilliant), and they are not to be missed.

I'll check them out :-) what era are they from?

How can you know Foo Fighters and not QOTSA? Grohl and Homme are basically joined at the hip.

I bet somehow you don't know this either.

Such madness.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by concubine
How can you know Foo Fighters and not QOTSA? Grohl and Homme are basically joined at the hip.

I bet somehow you don't know this either.

Such madness.

I'm not sure haahah :') I do like foo fighters alot but i don't know loads about them as people i just know their music, and no i haven't heard of that.
Have you heard of TSSF?
Reply 150

By QOTSA I mean Queens of the stone age? And they are amazing!

I've heard a few of The Story So Far's songs a while ago. I like their style of music. I think I heard the song Quicksand? It sounded decent :smile:
Reply 151
I'll check them out :-) what era are they from?

They started out late 90s and released their last album bout 5 years ago I think

[video="youtube;ESUJDgYZr98"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUJDgYZr98[/video]
Any space for Justin Bieber?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Anyone actually like hardcore? As in Minor Threat, Black Flag and Discharge for the more mainstream stuff, and then there's slightly more underground stuff like Abolition (the Jesus Was A ****in' Dick EP rules), Oi Polloi and Reagan Youth.

I came into this thread to talk about hardcore and 'real' metalcore (as in stuff that actually includes hardcore influence rather than just melodeath with breakdowns) and not one band from either genre was mentioned on the first two pages.

I like every single one of the bands you listed there! Black flag are one of my all time favourite bands! Do you like suicidal tendancies or wasted youth?
Saw LTA, Gallows, Architects, While she sleeps, Don Broco, set your goals , the story so far and cancer bats today.

****ing amazing.

Gallows are amazing live

WSS and TSSF are really good live and gallows pits are always brilliant. I must say I am jelly of you seeing all this in one day. You going to any other festivals
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
I like every single one of the bands you listed there! Black flag are one of my all time favourite bands! Do you like suicidal tendancies or wasted youth?

Love Suicidal Tendencies, never got around to Wasted Youth. Will add them to the pile of stuff to listen to. How about Cryptic Slaughter, Negative Approach and DRI?

Got to admit though, more often than not I'm greasy metalhead/noisenik/crustie rather than a fan of straight-up hardcore.
Reply 156
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Anyone actually like hardcore? As in Minor Threat, Black Flag and Discharge for the more mainstream stuff, and then there's slightly more underground stuff like Abolition (the Jesus Was A ****in' Dick EP rules), Oi Polloi and Reagan Youth.

I came into this thread to talk about hardcore and 'real' metalcore (as in stuff that actually includes hardcore influence rather than just melodeath with breakdowns) and not one band from either genre was mentioned on the first two pages.

Yeah, more into slightly more modern hardcore and metalcore though. Converge, Have Heart, Integrity, Buried Inside etc. If you've got recs, shoot.

Original post by Pi!
This thread is disappointing. So much generic popcore.

My favourite hardcore/post-hardcore bands are:
Rolo Tomassi
Veils
Pulled Apart By Horses
Black Flag
Kerouac
Pariso
Touché Amoré

I also need to check out more Fugazi and At The Drive-In.

Agreed. All awesome.
Reply 157

****ing amazing.

Gallows are amazing live

I went to Slam Dunk this weekend as well, up North though on the Saturday. It was awesome.
Also saw a couple of those bands, Lower than Atlantis, a bit of Architects, Set Your Goals.
Other than them I saw Sharks, Motion City Soundtrack, The Audition, FTSK, some of the Blackout, Hit The Lights. The more nostalgic options looking at the list now, in the likes of Motion City, Hit the Lights and FTSK. I felt 16 again :tongue:
Set Your Goals and Hit The Lights were probably the best I saw.

The number of clashes sucked, I missed a few bands like Cancer Bats, Every Time I Die, Gallows and Random Hand, because they're playing Reading, but would of liked to see them. Taking Back Sunday, Don Broco and The Story So Far because i've seen them before. Also Of Mice and Men and While She Sleeps I would of liked to of seen but didn't.
But I guess that's the downfall of a festival filled totally with stuff you like, unlike something like Reading where you end up spending hours just drinking in the campsite :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by Cll_ws
I went to Slam Dunk this weekend as well, up North though on the Saturday. It was awesome.
Also saw a couple of those bands, Lower than Atlantis, a bit of Architects, Set Your Goals.
Other than them I saw Sharks, Motion City Soundtrack, The Audition, FTSK, some of the Blackout, Hit The Lights. The more nostalgic options looking at the list now, in the likes of Motion City, Hit the Lights and FTSK. I felt 16 again :tongue:
Set Your Goals and Hit The Lights were probably the best I saw.

The number of clashes sucked, I missed a few bands like Cancer Bats, Every Time I Die, Gallows and Random Hand, because they're playing Reading, but would of liked to see them. Taking Back Sunday, Don Broco and The Story So Far because i've seen them before. Also Of Mice and Men and While She Sleeps I would of liked to of seen but didn't.
But I guess that's the downfall of a festival filled totally with stuff you like, unlike something like Reading where you end up spending hours just drinking in the campsite :tongue:

haha that's true, i saw sharks but i didn't really like them that much tbh.
Yeah, architects and gallows clashing was really annoying because i wanted to see all of their set, along with don broco and while she sleeps.
i still saw a bit of all of them though and tbf they were all amazing.
I didn't get to see om&m because it was too full though :/
Reading has a pretty good line up this year but not worth like 200 + quid
Reply 159
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
WSS and TSSF are really good live and gallows pits are always brilliant. I must say I am jelly of you seeing all this in one day. You going to any other festivals

I know, they were amazing.
The story so far was brutal, more than WSS which i did not expect haha!
They played in a pretty small room and i was 2 rows from barrier, and me my friends and my sister and her boyfriend got completely smashed by everyone behind us and the crowdsurfers.
My sisters boyfriend was a bit pissed off with this guy because he kneed him hard in the face whilst he was crowd surfing, and tbh i agree with him.
The guy was like swimming, seriously you're gonna hurt people.
Fair enough crowd surf but not like that, so he pulled his down :')
But yeah they were insane i wanna see them again already
I haven't got anything booked yet, i'm not going to any summer ones cos they're all really expensive. I wanna see TSSF again and Blink 182 and Twin atlantic so.
I might go Warped UK in november though if they release any other good bands because i wanna see ADTR live so bad

Quick Reply

Latest