The Student Room Group

How hard is GCSE maths for a mature student?

Scroll to see replies

Yes older and wiser, but as it is 50 years since I was at school, I am finding it very hard!!!
Reply 41
Hey, I completed my GCSE maths last year alongside an access to nursing course. It wasn't easy, to begin with at least I really struggled. The college were great and offered me extra support. I also contacted a local private tutor for a one hour lesson each week to help.

In the end I achieved 92% in my exam which was a grade C as I did the foundation paper.

It's defiantly do-able, go for it!

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I would say the extent to which we find anything difficult is often dependent on how confident we feel at that time in our lives. I wasnt an academically confident teenager and had very poor maths education as a child resulting in a fail at GCSE. However, after re-taking my maths GCSE as a mature student with an incredible tutor I managed to pass and I'm now a primary school teacher. Mind set is everything and I firmly believe if you study hard, feel confident in your ability and surround yourself with positive people you can achieve anything, regardless of your age.
Am doing a maths gcse at adult training centre at age of 69. 80 hours of teaching and lots of homework. I did modern maths at secondary school and didn’t have a proper maths education beyond primary school. Absolutely love it. It’s basically problem solving and once you’re taught the rules by a good teacher, it’s completely logical. I hope to get at least a B equivalent.
Original post by Jenny hughes
Am doing a maths gcse at adult training centre at age of 69. 80 hours of teaching and lots of homework. I did modern maths at secondary school and didn’t have a proper maths education beyond primary school. Absolutely love it. It’s basically problem solving and once you’re taught the rules by a good teacher, it’s completely logical. I hope to get at least a B equivalent.

Please look at the date before posting - this thread is 10 years old! :smile:

Quick Reply