Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to remove the music from a song but keep the vocals intact?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably the wrong place to post this, but it would be nice if there was something that could do this as I would like to play a song on guitar to the artist's voice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Short of taking it to an audio engineer, assuming it was recorded professionally so he could back out each instrument, I can't see a way to do this easily. You are better off re-recording w/o the music. There is software out there (some free, some not) that you can use to do this, but it is an extremely tedious project, and takes a ridiculus ammount of time and effort to make it sound clean. The best example for doing this I could find, without stressing about it being perfect, is here. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVBYh...eature=related
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wht about the opposite? Keep backing track remove lyrics because I want to make a mashup of two songs and so will need a backing track. Also, what software would you recommend to create mashups of multiple songs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusionary)
    Short of taking it to an audio engineer, assuming it was recorded professionally so he could back out each instrument, I can't see a way to do this easily. You are better off re-recording w/o the music. There is software out there (some free, some not) that you can use to do this, but it is an extremely tedious project, and takes a ridiculus ammount of time and effort to make it sound clean. The best example for doing this I could find, without stressing about it being perfect, is here. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVBYh...eature=related
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    Wht about the opposite? Keep backing track remove lyrics because I want to make a mashup of two songs and so will need a backing track. Also, what software would you recommend to create mashups of multiple songs?
    Might wanna try Traktor 2.0 or FL Studio. Pretty cool softwares.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ammarnkhan)
    Might wanna try Traktor 2.0 or FL Studio. Pretty cool softwares.
    Thanks are they for creating mash ups of songs or removing the lyrics and thanks for the info!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    Thanks are they for creating mash ups of songs or removing the lyrics and thanks for the info!
    Tracktor is generally used for DJing, so you'll be able to make a mashup on it. FL Studio is for music production. But you can make a mashup on it too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sound Forge software, then vocal remover option.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eterna)
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    First, just know that it is pretty difficult to do what you'd like without having professional help either from a program or person but try Audacity, which is free, to get some semblance of what you're after. There is a guide you can follow. Otherwise, you can try your luck to see if the vocals have already been isolated from the backing track on youtube.

(Original post by non)
    What you're asking to do is a lot more difficult in my experience and you will probably need something like Protools or Logic with the full master track to seperate instruments out (unless someone else has posted a hack on here).

Hope that helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ableton.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.