The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Yes after a year u can switch to just history as your major. Not too sure about year abroad, i thought that you could only do that with a language degree or something that would benefit from a placement abroad. If u can it'll be specified in the course details. Hope this helps x
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, like AJ said changing shouldn't be a problem. You'll take and history and politics module in the first year (plus one other). Then if you decide to switch, providing you get the necessary results in your first year exams you should be fine to switch.
iom_cb
Hi

I have an offer for History and Politics.

With lancasters degree structure for example if after a year I wasn't too pleased with the politics, could I switch to a History Degree?

Also does anyone know if you can do your second year abroad for History and Politics?

I had those crazy informative leaflets come to me after my offer of History and Politics too, and there was a mention of a year in America or somewhere in Europe, can't remember where in Europe though! That offer of a spell abroad was purely for history, I'm not sure how a spell in Politics would affect this.
Reply 4
hey! i've accepted a place for Geography starting in oct 2006, but i can't decide on what i might want to do as a part one subject. I'm torn between english and drama. If i had taken just the physical geography, i would have had the option to take two other subjects in by first year.

Would i be able to change from full geography to physical geography or do i have to stick with the subject of my offer?:confused:
Reply 5
nelly
hey! i've accepted a place for Geography starting in oct 2006, but i can't decide on what i might want to do as a part one subject. I'm torn between english and drama. If i had taken just the physical geography, i would have had the option to take two other subjects in by first year.

Would i be able to change from full geography to physical geography or do i have to stick with the subject of my offer?:confused:

I think you might be able to switch in the first couple of weeks, but having not done it i'm not sure. I know that for the first 3 weeks there were people that kept transferring into my course (Computer science) but i don't know where they came from
Hi you can switch your entire degree for the first three weeks of the first year. I think it's three weeks (maybe it's two). I did it :smile: You can then change degrees the summer before you start part 2 (which fundly enough I will be doing), if you have met the requirements of part one for what you want to continue with, you must have done relevant subjects etc.

You can change specific modules throughout the first year as long as you do it before you start those modules.
Reply 7
You can switch to what you want. I'd recommend staying away from languages because it's a hell of a lot of work (I'm doing intensive Spanish) compared to other subjects.

I read about doing a term in Denmark in the second year and I'm a history student and I've yet to ask for more information about that, because I quite fancy it. Sounds like fun.
My science modules are pretty full on aswell, but it's to be expected I suppose
Reply 9
so, technically would it be possibly to change my degree completely provided i have the required entry requirements for another degree.

You see, as i said ive applied to do full geography, but i think ive made the wrong decision and i'd actually rather do my other two A levels, ie English and Theatre Studies.

even though ive accepted my place for my geography degree, but would i be able to switch to english and theatre or is it too late? :confused:
Reply 10
that should say 'possible' lol. not good for an english student!
Reply 11
A question: If you switch degree schemes from department A to department B. And Department A was the department that admitted you to the university, which department would be credited as your 'school' on the certifcate at the end of the degree?
Reply 12
Ermmmm i'd imagine the department with which you qualify!!
Reply 13
RyanT
A question: If you switch degree schemes from department A to department B. And Department A was the department that admitted you to the university, which department would be credited as your 'school' on the certifcate at the end of the degree?

What do you mean by 'school'? Your degree certificate will simply state yor degree classification and what you studied e.g. 2:1 in Geography BSc.

Hope that helps.

As for switching from full Geography to just physical... I would only do that if you're 100% sure you want to do physical geog. From looking at your other interests you would probably get quite into the human side (which is boring as hell at A Level but really interesting at degree level). There's some great human geographers at Lancaster (e.g. Lenny Baer, Colin Pooley and Ian White plus a load of new lecturers who have just joined the uni) - way better than the physical geographers in my opinion (Phil Barker - yawn).

I'd leave your options open atnd stick with straight geogpraphy, anyway.

Plus, all the physical geography students look like hikers. And you don't want to look like that (do you?).

Latest

Trending

Trending