The Student Room Group

Applying for English: Advice from an admissions tutor

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bookowl
is it possible to switch from a nursing degree to an english degree? I didn't do a levels but have a BTEC extended diploma at D*D*D* I have 6 GCSES at grade C and above including English?
I suggest you do a search in UCAS course search to see which unis will accept the BTEC, and then email them with details of your specific circumstences - I'm not clear whether you have already started your nursing degree.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yesterday I attended a careers advisers' conference at what I'll refer to anonymously as a prestigious Russell Group university in the north of England, and I thought it might be worth posting here what the admissions tutor for English said in a workshop on applying successfully. There's nothing new or revolutionary here if you have a Head of Sixth or a tutor with experience, but not everyone's in that position, so it bears repeating just in case not everyone knows this. Although this was a conference at one specific university, the tutor confirmed that this was standard practice at comparable institutions.

If the grade requirements are, as in this case, AAA, there is no point at all in applying if you are not predicted AAA. There is an automatic rejection filter for this. A*AB is not an acceptable alternative either at the application stage or on results day.** See below

The personal statement is the most important element of the application after the predicted grades. (It won't get read if you haven't got the grades.)

GCSEs don't enter into the equation as long as the basic requirement has been met. Tutors recognise that people develop at different rates.

You must focus on the subject you are applying for and show awareness of the course content. An application for English and Theatre Studies which contains no reference to drama will be automatically rejected.

You must show a breadth of interest beyond the A level curriculum, and that means reading a wide range of literature in different genres and from different time periods. Only mentioning modern fiction will ensure that they will form the opinion that you are not going to handle the other aspects of the course. Above all, they want you to show a range of literary interests and intellectual curiosity.

Show, don't tell. Demonstrate the interest you are claiming to have. Don't make generic statements.

Give evidence of critical reflection on your experiences. It does not need to be positive. You can acknowledge the limitations of your experience thus far but use them as a springboard to demonstrate how much you are ready to learn. Don't try to claim you know everything already.

Minimise extracurricular content. I will quote the tutor exactly here: 'The more academic subjects, as opposed to vocational ones, at competitive, research-led universities want only minimal extracurricular details, if any at all.'

Spelling, punctuation and grammar really matter. A single typo won't get the application thrown out, but they are especially annoyed by applicants who cannot get the names of authors, books or characters right, and anyone spelling Jane Austen's name incorrectly is an automatic reject. (She really wasn't joking about this.)

As I say, nothing earthshatteringly new here, but this is the season for year 12s to start on the preliminary stages of applying and they haven't been through all this before, so it's useful to have a bit of a checklist at this stage.

**Edit: Since results day this year showed quite a different pattern to the previous year, people were much more successful in getting places in Clearing with grades such as A*AB for an AAA offer than had happened the year before. The advice still hasn't changed officially, but it's not black and white. I would still think carefully about having more than one high risk application

Wait so universities don't want to see a lot of extracurricular and super curricular activities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chiarax213
Wait so universities don't want to see a lot of extracurricular and super curricular activities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at the expense of demonstrating what a good academic candidate you are, no. Even Durham (which is interested a lot more than most unis are in your extra-curricular activities) will expect top-dollar academic credentials as a minimum.
Original post by Minerva
Not at the expense of demonstrating what a good academic candidate you are, no. Even Durham (which is interested a lot more than most unis are in your extra-curricular activities) will expect top-dollar academic credentials as a minimum.

Oh ok thanks cause I was getting a bit worried because I'm not doing any summer schools, since I've missed the deadlines unfortunately. I've done a fee things outside of school but I can't find time for regular extracurricular activities during the school week
Original post by chiarax213
Oh ok thanks cause I was getting a bit worried because I'm not doing any summer schools, since I've missed the deadlines unfortunately. I've done a fee things outside of school but I can't find time for regular extracurricular activities during the school week
You aren't the only one in that position. Attending Summer Schools is certainly not 'compulsory' or anything like.
@Minerva how much should I right about different books i've read and do you think I should mention I've wrote some fanfiction aswell?
Original post by scrawlx101
@Minerva how much should I right about different books i've read and do you think I should mention I've wrote some fanfiction aswell?
I do hope you are using predictive text, as if you meant to use 'right' when you mean 'write' you will have some difficulty convincing an admissions tutor that you are a suitable candidate for an English degree. Equally, using "I've wrote" instead of "I've written" would be worrying.

There's no reason why you can't mention your own writing, but you need to consider whether the admissions tutor would take 'fanfiction' as a genre seriously. If they might not, it might be better to leave this out.

As for writing about books you have read, you need to make sure that your PS is balanced overall, and remember why you are writing about this reading in the first place. So, whatever you put in needs to add value to the case you are trying to make that (a) you are committed to the subject and (b) you know something about it beyond what you've covered at school.
(edited 8 years ago)
any tips for personal statements? what type of things should we include(i've talked about the books ive read from gcse to alevel with a bit of analysis and i read about a book i read by obama(his autobiography which i found interesting).I wrote about my EPQ which was based on psychology instead of english since at the time i wanted to do a psychology degree i got an E in it.How can i find Eng Lit courses rather than eng lang courses?
any tips for personal statements?
Make sure you use upper and lower case appropriately, and also leave at least one space (but preferably two) between a full stop and the beginning of the next sentence. There should also be spaces between any punctuation (including brackets) and the first letter of the next word. These formatting rules make any document easier to read, but are crucial for personal statements.

what type of things should we include(i've talked about the books ive read from gcse to alevel with a bit of analysis and i read about a book i read by obama(his autobiography which i found interesting).
The clue is in the name of the degree you are interested in: literature. Autobiographies, being non-fictionn, would not be particularly relevant. See the OP of this thread for more guidance on what the admissions tutors will be looking for.

I wrote about my EPQ which was based on psychology instead of english since at the time i wanted to do a psychology degree i got an E in it.
If your EPQ was about psychology, it's not really relevant for a PS to support your application for a place to read English Literature, is it?

How can i find Eng Lit courses rather than eng lang courses?
Use UCAS Course Search.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Make sure you use upper and lower case appropriately, and also leave at least one space (but preferably two) between a full stop and the beginning of the next sentence. There should also be spaces between any punctuation (including brackets) and the first letter of the next word. These formatting rules make any document easier to read, but are crucial for personal statements.

The clue is in the name of the degree you are interested in: literature. Autobiographies, being non-fictionn, would not be particularly relevant. See the OP of this thread for more guidance on what the admissions tutors will be looking for.

If your EPQ was about psychology, it's not really relevant for a PS to support your application for a place to read English Literature, is it?

Use UCAS Course Search.

um but surely my EPQ has some relevance as it taught me how to reference and enhanced my research skills?

isnt an autobiography a form of literature?

isnt an autobiography a form of literature?

This is running before you can walk. Biography is an under-researched form of literature and you might well do your PhD on it. However an undergraduate English Literature degree is about understanding various literary theories and applying them to the received canon of Eng Lit for particular periods, schools or genres of fiction. Read works that are (a) in the canon of Eng Lit but (b) aren't on your A level syllabus and (c) preferably were written in different periods.
Original post by nulli tertius
This is running before you can walk. Biography is an under-researched form of literature and you might well do your PhD on it. However an undergraduate English Literature degree is about understanding various literary theories and applying them to the received canon of Eng Lit for particular periods, schools or genres of fiction. Read works that are (a) in the canon of Eng Lit but (b) aren't on your A level syllabus and (c) preferably were written in different periods.

in my PS ive wrote about:

Jane Eyre(on my syllabus)
A doll's house(on my syllabus)
Purple Hibiscus(on my syllabus)
My EPQ
Mentoring
Volunteering at a childrens library

is that good?

My EPQ
Mentoring

is that good?

Nothing here shows an interest in the study of English literature other than that you chose to do A level English literature rather than a BTEC in bricklaying.

Go and read something not on your syllabus.

What about Pamela, Wide Sargasso Sea and The Sun Also Rises?

There are a lot of different perspectives on women there.

My EPQ
Mentoring

is that good?

Read my OP again. You need to get away from just reading things you've been made to read for school and show you are committed enough to literature to read things for your own interest, and also to show that you can tackle things that aren't just easy to read because they are modern (which Jane Eyre basically is). If you aren't able to do that, you shouldn't be applying for English literature, and I don't mean that to sound harsh, I mean it to sound like advice about what might make you unhappy. Your EPQ and mentoring stuff can be dropped very quickly to make room for talking about your own programme of reading for pleasure and intellectual stimulation. You can make a bit more of the library thing. If you cannot easily find literature you want to explore and study to talk about on your ps, then maybe you should think about doing something different. English is a massively competitive subject and you need to show what kind of student of it you can be, which is one who has a voracious appetite for literature of all kinds.
What kind of extracurricular programs/work experience/activities can you do which will increase chances in reading English at university?
Original post by megan.gurr
What kind of extracurricular programs/work experience/activities can you do which will increase chances in reading English at university?

As I say in the OP, they really aren't interested in this. It's much better to talk about your programme of independent reading and areas of interest. There really isn't any point in starting to do things just to put on a PS when they aren't relevant and you're just doing them for the sake of it. There is no work experience that prepares you for an English degree and universities don't give a rat's ass if you were captain of the netball team.
Two things:

1. I have briefly mentioned 'a doll's' house on my personal statement but it is not part of my a level syllabus. Will tutors atomatically assume that this was for school and therefore not wider reading, and should I replace it with something else? Every other book mentioned is not on the syllabus.

2. I recently completed my EPQ exploring Beowulf, would tutors consider this impressive, and if so, would it justify spending quite a few lines on my personal statement discussing it?

Thanks.
Original post by simbasdragon
Two things:

1. I have briefly mentioned 'a doll's' house on my personal statement but it is not part of my a level syllabus. Will tutors atomatically assume that this was for school and therefore not wider reading, and should I replace it with something else? Every other book mentioned is not on the syllabus.

2. I recently completed my EPQ exploring Beowulf, would tutors consider this impressive, and if so, would it justify spending quite a few lines on my personal statement discussing it?

Thanks.

1) It's a risk, but if it forms part of your own interest, then use it as part of talking about why you are interested in this kind of drama.

2) Impressive if in the original Anglo-Saxon. Otherwise, a perfectly legitimate topic to discuss and explain your interest in.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
1) It's a risk, but if it forms part of your own interest, then use it as part of talking about why you are interested in this kind of drama.

2) Impressive if in the original Anglo-Saxon. Otherwise, a perfectly legitimate topic to discuss and explain your interest in.

Thankyou.
Hello there, I am an 18 year old A-level student currently studying English Literature (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (OCR)at A2. I've always been a passionate reader and in my teenage years a passionate reader/analyser/absorber of literature (and yes, there is a distinction) After a tumultuous year in 2014 I completely bombed out of my As-levels, attaining EEE grades. So after dropping Chemistry and Biology, I picked up Psychology and this year achieved BBB. After discussing with my subject teacher's, they have agreed to predict me AAB. Now that you basically have my academic autobiography; what would be your advice on approaching an application for an English degree? Which universities don't accept re-sitters? Do I need any work experience? What should I focus on in my personal statement??

I've got my heart set on going to Glasgow, but I'm also considering applying for Edinburgh, Reading, Liverpool and as a safety net Northumbria/Manchester Met. I'd just like to know if I have any chance with any of these universities, so I don't waste one of my choices on them.

Thank you, Charity :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending