Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The underappreciated music thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    post your underappreciated music that may be obscure but you think is a great song

Here's mine:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bassline, gets a bad flak as a poor man's garage but for Mids man it's our greatest cultural export

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetbrain)
    Interesting.. very evocative and evanescent : )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

It's actually her niece singing, but Elizabeth Cotten is pretty neat.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAt0xpO2HU

Mew

Nicole Elizabeth <3
    Undergrad Photography Student
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really like this. It's just pretty simple folk but there's something appealing about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O8_E7auGwg
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetbrain)
    Yay glad you like it that much after I showed you.

The Gathering. I go on about them all the time, but they are amazing, and I've never met anyone who has heard of them. They do something different every album, and aren't afraid of experimenting. Plus they Anneke sing on five of their albums.

Both new songs: (I've had meltdown on repeat since it's release today)

You wouldn't think they started life playing death-doom metal, and practically singlehandedly started the female fronted gothic metal subgenre from either of those would you? They are just great at evolving their sound.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gonna post a few songs here for now. They might not be THAT underappreciated though...

Fantastic jazz pop song. The video's brilliant and Caro herself is extremely talented. Her album got to #4 here (months after it was released, oddly enough), but I reckon she's still extremely underrated. Luckily, she's appreciated in other parts of Europe, where she gets most of her success.

For those of you who don't know, this girl is Sting's daughter, something which you can kinda hear in her voice. This might not be her best song, but it's one I really like.

You might know of Emilie Autumn and her backstory. I won't explain it right now, but her new album Fight Like A Girl relates to the things she's been through in her life. This song is the first single and it's excellent. If possible, I recommend buying this song as it also comes with the excellent Time For Tea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexlduffy)
    Gonna post a few songs here for now. They might not be THAT underappreciated though...

Fantastic jazz pop song. The video's brilliant and Caro herself is extremely talented. Her album got to #4 here (months after it was released, oddly enough), but I reckon she's still extremely underrated. Luckily, she's appreciated in other parts of Europe, where she gets most of her success.

For those of you who don't know, this girl is Sting's daughter, something which you can kinda hear in her voice. This might not be her best song, but it's one I really like.

You might know of Emilie Autumn and her backstory. I won't explain it right now, but her new album Fight Like A Girl relates to the things she's been through in her life. This song is the first single and it's excellent. If possible, I recommend buying this song as it also comes with the excellent Time For Tea.
    That jazz-y song is really cute, and the video too : D
    Oh Emilie Autumn.. discovered with last.fm when she was still on her second album :')
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverwings92)
    That jazz-y song is really cute, and the video too : D
    Oh Emilie Autumn.. discovered with last.fm when she was still on her second album :')
    I chose that one because it's the most stereotypically jazzy and classic. Glad you like it!

Same here, except I only discovered her last year D: But Opheliac is amazing! Working my way towards getting loads more of her stuff. Already got Enchant too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not under-appreciated, but if you haven't heard it, I think you should give it a listen :P

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexlduffy)
    I chose that one because it's the most stereotypically jazzy and classic. Glad you like it!

Same here, except I only discovered her last year D: But Opheliac is amazing! Working my way towards getting loads more of her stuff. Already got Enchant too
    Check Emilie's Rose Red, What If, Shalott, and some instrumentals like Syringe; that'll give you a major idea of what she is :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If rap's your thing, this guy's worth checking out; the video's also sick

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Fans of Lynch will know of Julee Cruise.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBL-v9sWeE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXjLbMZFmo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmsblNnnGM

Awesome!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.