The Student Room Group

FSMQ Additional Mathematics - 30th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tsrel13
I got 9.5 :/ what did you substitute in for t?

SAME i got 9.5, but i was sort of an educated GUESS. :confused:
Original post by Grant.
please somebody tell me they got 9.5m for max height haha

I DID
Reply 102
I missed out the last question
HOW were we supposed to work it out?
Reply 103
Original post by izzaha
You know for the question where you had to find the co ordinate for D I dunno what I did but I got either (3,0) or (0,3) my working out wasn't too good I put down " to get from point B to point M you go -4 across and -3 down therefore D is..." I may pick up a mark if I'm lucky :s

Why didn't I do that?! Gargh!

+ you should get marks, what you're saying makes sense!
I'm pretty sure it's 12.

7 - 5 Sin(540) = 12 (or whatever the equation was)

anything above/below 540 was lower than 12. i just used trial and improvement tho.
and it was ony 2 marks... :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by carbonita
I missed out the last question
HOW were we supposed to work it out?

(2+h)^3=8+ah+bh^2+ch^3

(2+h)(2+h)(2+h) = (8+12h+6h^2+h^3)

So a = 12, b = 6 and c =1.

I can't remember the question to the part b bit! (I only did the first three parts, I didn't do the last two!)
Reply 106
because a cosine curve has the max. point at 180 degrees so if u sub that in... 12 was the answer...
Reply 107
Original post by lucilleJR
(2+h)^3=8+ah+bh^2+ch^3

(2+h)(2+h)(2+h) = (8+12h+6h^2+h^3)

So a = 12, b = 6 and c =1.

I can't remember the question to the part b bit! (I only did the first three parts, I didn't do the last two!)

thanks
I think in got that... except i used binomials - but potato potata
Reply 108
Original post by Grant.
i think i got 41.8, 138.2 and 270

Yup.

I found the exam so damn fun. Like it was the one time where stuff I went over I actually got the second time!

Did all the questions and pretty damn sure I got high marks (85-90+) which is great seeing as how much I stressed over it.

I advise everyone to chill for the long weekend. What I said probably didn't help. Oh well.
Reply 109
Original post by bee43
(0,3) sounds about right. I substituted it into the midpoint formula, which turned out to be quite easy after my previous attempts :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I got (0,3) too! i did that exact method and it came out as 25 (5^2) which was right so i think thats the right answer!
I was quite surprised at the last question it didn't seem to be in the syllabus
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
They said we didnt have to stay in the exam hall if we finished.. so I walked out after an hour, knew nothing :frown:
Is anyone going to be doing an unofficial mark scheme? I (very politely) asked 'mrmanps' to do one again and he said 'I'll try' so... hopefully that means we'll all know our marks soon!
Reply 114
Original post by ZakariaMar
I was quite surprised at the last question it didn't seem to be in the syllabus

I kicked myself so hard when I saw that question. Our teacher didn't have much time to teach us throughout the year and that was one of the things she thoroughly explained but I just didn't revise it because I didn't think it would come up :P

(still got it though)
Original post by HelloAdamLewis
I think the paper was slightly harder than all the past papers, so the grade boundaries will probably be quite low.

The last question everyone seemed to struggle with, but if anyone has seen the proof for differentiation then it's actually really easy. All the 'h's end up becoming so small they can be ignored so you are just left with the constant.

In my opinion the hardest question was where you had to find D on the circle. I ended up using vector MB to work it out because I couldn't think of another way. I ended up with D(0, 3) which I checked into the equation and it does lie on the circle.

*Might have been D(3, 0), I can't remember which way around it was.

It was (0,3) because te line BD was the diameter and B was (8,9) and the centre of the circle was (4,6) therefore it had to be the same distance in the opposite direction of B from (4,6) 8 -4 = 4, 9 - 6 = 3. So 4 - 4 = 0 and 6 - 3 = 3. So the answer was (0,3) :smile:
Reply 116
I think I've got 83 out of 100?! Is that an A do you think?
Reply 117

Prbs because the grade boundaries haven't been higher than 79 for an A :s and most people didn't find it easy

Yes
Original post by Mr M
Yes

What do you think the grade boundaries for an A grade will be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending