The Student Room Group

OCR critical thinking unit 2/f502 29th May 2012 - am

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Meg :)
That would be good! There always seems to be loads of options for critical thinking! Makes it so much harder than maths!

exactly so many options. and the markschemes are so specific.
if anyone can find/do the markscheme it would be very much appreciated.
how did u find the rest of the paper ?
Reply 41
Original post by stuck18
exactly so many options. and the markschemes are so specific.
if anyone can find/do the markscheme it would be very much appreciated.
how did u find the rest of the paper ?

I thought it was relatively good, but it always seems to be the ones that I think are okay that I do worst in! How did you find it?
Reply 42
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Well I think we can be pretty sure about the ad hominem as it talks about them being x and y (can't remember those characteristics) and I think it's straw man because it distorts the reasoning that the opponents give, as the opponents aren't actually against extreme sports because they are not modern.

It's straw man, because the author attempted to discredit the argument by suggesting that people opposed to extreme sports are against them because they are 'new' and 'just for adrenaline junkies', whereas they are in fact against them for better reasons, such as those associated with safety.
Reply 43
Original post by Meg :)
I thought it was relatively good, but it always seems to be the ones that I think are okay that I do worst in! How did you find it?

hmm same. just hoping my examiner is nice lol =[
Reply 44
Terrible exam :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 45
Original post by Kya
Terrible exam :/

why ? what was so terrible ?
Reply 46
Original post by zoecharlotte
Grade boundaries are fairly decent, with mid 70s usually being an A. The real problem is understanding what they want you to say, simply because the mark schemes change every year! I've basically written out all the flaws I know of and their definitions, looked briefly at some argument elements, and have an idea of the structure of my last question (very similar to jom9 above). Hopefully that'll be enough!

ah thanks! how did you find it? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by stuck18
yay. what did you guys get for your 2 flaws on the last question on section B .. ? I choe Ad hominem and Straw person .. because the author was attacking the other persons view.. and distorting it to make it the way the author wanted to see it. I'm not too sure on that question.

yessssss... this is exactly what I wrote. :smile:
Reply 48
i put adhominem and appeal to popularity because he kept talking about how popular extreme sports and how only the minority thought they should be banned, i'm guessing this is wrong?... :frown:
What did everyone get for the multiple choice?

For the chewing gum one, what was the argument element? and what was the intermediate conclusion

and for the tabloid, what was the conclusion and what was the other conclusion you could draw?

and the EU languages one, what was the argument element?
and the lip synch one, what was the argument element?

If anyone remembers that is
Reply 50
Original post by toff33popcorn
After we came out of the exam, our critical thinking teacher who saw a copy of the paper while we were sitting it told us that the flaws could be either ad hominem, straw man, hasty generalisation or false dichotomy (restricting the options) SOOO i guess we're all good :smile:

omg really? few. i chose adhominem and straw man. hope your right !! cos that question was 6 marks
Reply 51
what did you guys write for the strength or weakness on the analogy? i chose strength as a person driving and a person doing extreme sports can be compared because driving requires a professional teaching you to teach the specific skills and training needed to drive, as well as extreme sports, because extreme sports requires professional teaching of skills. something like that.. :s-smilie:
Original post by stuck18
what did you guys write for the strength or weakness on the analogy? i chose strength as a person driving and a person doing extreme sports can be compared because driving requires a professional teaching you to teach the specific skills and training needed to drive, as well as extreme sports, because extreme sports requires professional teaching of skills. something like that.. :s-smilie:

My reason was really bad, i said driving a car is a necessity for many young people to drive to work etc whereas extreme sports isnt

ohwell, hopefully ill get 1 mark
Reply 53
Part 2 of flaws question could of been:

Straw Man
Circular
Restricting the options
Generalisations
Reply 54
for the last 2 flaws on section B i put ad hominem and reasoning from wrong actions, would that be right?
Reply 55
Original post by Spellstheend
My reason was really bad, i said driving a car is a necessity for many young people to drive to work etc whereas extreme sports isnt

I'm pretty sure that's a valid reason, provided you've explained it; that is, after all, a significant difference in that driving a car has practical uses whereas extreme sports have no use beyond personal enjoyment, so their bannings are not equivalent.
Reply 56
I've made sooo many mistakes on this exam :frown:
Reply 57
Original post by QTpie118
I've made sooo many mistakes on this exam :frown:

Same :frown: hope the boundaries are low!
Reply 58
Original post by Spellstheend

I put that some extreme sports are individual & won't affect other people whereas car driving relies on other people & could injure other people

Original post by SamHLFC
I put that some extreme sports are individual & won't affect other people whereas car driving relies on other people & could injure other people

I wrote that young people need a driving license to be legitimately allowed to drive whereas people participating in extreme sports don't need a license to do so :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest