The Student Room Group

If I get bad AS results would resitting them be okay? :'(

Scroll to see replies

Hello, i'm thinking of resitting my AS levels, i obtained 3 E's in my january modules (maths C1, chemistry unit 1 and biology unit 1). I just had my June exams and i am dreading the results. Does it look bad to resit year 12 (AS level) if i want to apply to some good/average uni's such as manchester or lancaster? My dad thinks it would be pointless to go to uni if i resat the year but i want to hear some other opinions...thanks!
Reply 41
As a word of support, my sister got CCDD is her AS levels originally and retook two of her subjects (in English she got a high C that could be pushed up to a B without a retake). Anyway, she was really focussed all year - didn't really go out much, but that's education for you. By then end of it all, she managed to get away with BBB, and has now just finished her final year at Queen Mary University and is about to do a Postgrad course at Kings. If I'm honest, I feel like I haven't fulfilled my potential this year, and think I'll need to retake around 3 units next year (2 in Jan, 1 in the summer). If it doesn't go your way this year, then don't give up! Just be focussed and start your revision right away from September :smile: I bet you're done fine though :wink: good luck x
Ok cool thanks! I know that when you go into A2 you have extra frees each week (i'd have 10 frees) and so i could actually resit a whole AS level (that would take up 5 of my frees so i'd be left with only 5) but still, and i would have dropped one of my subjects. Depends what i get as overall i want to aim to get ABB so i can study biochemistry. Thanks for that though :smile: x
Original post by AK0001
WHY WAS THIS NEGGED? If you think what I've said is wrong, then EXPLAIN to me why I'm wrong.

I'm not one of the people who negged you and things may have changed since I did my UCAS application (coming up for 2 years ago now :eek:) but when I applied, you had to declare your AS grades to all your uni choices if your school certificated your AS results.

It's true that Oxford don't collect individual module scores as Cambridge do though. So you can resit a January AS exam in the June of AS year and Oxford won't know, if it's still the same as it was when I applied. But if you get a bad grade in an AS overall at the end of Year 12 (depending on the school's certification policy) you may be obliged to tell them that.
Reply 44
Original post by beautifuldisasters
I'm not one of the people who negged you and things may have changed since I did my UCAS application (coming up for 2 years ago now :eek:) but when I applied, you had to declare your AS grades to all your uni choices if your school certificated your AS results.

It's true that Oxford don't collect individual module scores as Cambridge do though. So you can resit a January AS exam in the June of AS year and Oxford won't know, if it's still the same as it was when I applied. But if you get a bad grade in an AS overall at the end of Year 12 (depending on the school's certification policy) you may be obliged to tell them that.

Thanks for not negging me! :smile:

Yeah I was just wondering how X uni would know if your school has certified your AS results.

I wouldn't recommend people to apply to Cambridge if they do not have a minimum of AAAB at AS, and those A's being solid A's and the B being in an irrelevant subject. Unless there are mitigating circumstances that can help explain a poor performance.

With Ox I don't think they're too fussed with AS grades initially, you do well on the TSA etc you'll be called to interview. AS grades may be a factor afterwards, but AABB+ won't damage your application for most subjects provided you have the A's in the fundamental subjects.

I just want to clarify that I am not saying people with DDDDUEEE etc to apply, just wanted to show the weakness in the reasoning of some posters lol :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
What's with all the "heh"s, OP?

I mean I don't even know what the hell "heh" is meant to be!
Reply 46
Hi, would it affect an application to Oxbridge if I got an A in the January exams but re-sat in June to get a higher A?
Reply 47
Original post by Aquar
What's with all the "heh"s, OP?

I mean I don't even know what the hell "heh" is meant to be!

I really don't know..its just something i say :smile: heh
and less lame than 'lol'

Quick Reply

Latest