Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop CPU and GPU temperatures seem a bit high, not sure what to do.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brother's laptop is an Acer 5750G
    Spec:
    i7 2.2Ghz (turbo boost to 2.9Ghz)
    NVIDIA GTX 540M 1GB
    8GB RAM
    750GB HDD, 7200rpm

While the laptop is idle the CPU and GPU average temps of 50-55C
    Within the first few minutes of putting it under load they go up to 95C
    (This is while using a good laptop cooling pad - we haven't dared test it without.)
    This makes the whole thing so hot that even typing on the keyboard burns your fingers.

I've cleared out the fan and vents, but really there was nothing there to clear as it's a brand new laptop. I also tried underclocking the CPU and GPU a bit but temperatures didn't decrease much and my brother would rather not sacrifice too much performance He wants to be able to make full use of the spec he paid for. I also attempted to change the fan speed and the temperature at which it kicks in fully (I only hear it seriously power up at about 95C and that seems a bit late to me.) however I couldn't find a way to do it.

I've heard that laptops commonly have cheap, poorly applied thermal compound so I was thinking of re-pasting it, however I don't really know what I'm doing, and it would definitely void the warranty, if what I've done hasn't voided it already.

Is there anything else that could be done to stop the laptop getting so hot? My Acer Aspire 5755G doesn't get anywhere near as hot and yet the spec is almost exactly the same.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuietOne)
    My brother's laptop is an Acer 5750G
    Spec:
    i7 2.2Ghz (turbo boost to 2.9Ghz)
    NVIDIA GTX 540M 1GB
    8GB RAM
    750GB HDD, 7200rpm

While the laptop is idle the CPU and GPU average temps of 50-55C
    Within the first few minutes of putting it under load they go up to 95C
    (This is while using a good laptop cooling pad - we haven't dared test it without.)
    This makes the whole thing so hot that even typing on the keyboard burns your fingers.

I've cleared out the fan and vents, but really there was nothing there to clear as it's a brand new laptop. I also tried underclocking the CPU and GPU a bit but temperatures didn't decrease much and my brother would rather not sacrifice too much performance He wants to be able to make full use of the spec he paid for. I also attempted to change the fan speed and the temperature at which it kicks in fully (I only hear it seriously power up at about 95C and that seems a bit late to me.) however I couldn't find a way to do it.

I've heard that laptops commonly have cheap, poorly applied thermal compound so I was thinking of re-pasting it, however I don't really know what I'm doing, and it would definitely void the warranty, if what I've done hasn't voided it already.

Is there anything else that could be done to stop the laptop getting so hot? My Acer Aspire 5755G doesn't get anywhere near as hot and yet the spec is almost exactly the same.
    From what i'm researching other users have the same issue.

This is one reply from Acer
    "Thank you for contacting Acer UK.

Regarding your enquiry, we regret the inconvenience experienced. The architecture of your computer is designed in such a way if higher temperatures are attained it will be managed by the cooling system and other internal components by sharing the burden of the processor.

If the unit is shutting down, freezing or producing abnormal heat with in a limited span of time then we can suspect it as a hardware fault. In these scenarios we can take the computer for repair.

So do not worry and enjoy happy computing. "

I can't suggest anything else then just keep your laptop in a well ventilated area and keep cleaning it regularly of dust.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.