Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Languages in schools petition

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    In some high schools it's already compulsory..
    I appreciate that; I had to take 1 MFL as an option and actually wasn't really introduced to languages until year 7, and I currently do 4 languages (excluding English). That is only one part of the petition though. There is also the augmentation of lesson time spent on languages.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think that teaching subjects in a foreign language is going a step too far, we want people to speak English in the UK and be equipped to deal with those from abroad.
    The direction Llys speaks about actually happens in several comprehensives in Wales whereby those in the top sets are taught bilingually if they choose to be. Swap Welsh for French and I don't really see what the problem is.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    So...? Were you trying to make a point?
    Well, I completely agree with what you are saying. But I just said that, in case you didn't know.. That's all (:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hines)
    Changes:

Year 2 would be 1-2 hours a week, 3-4 would be 2-3 hours, years 5-6 would maintain 3-4 hours. The primary schools would choose which languages to teach.

In secondary school, pupils may indicate whether they want to continue with 2 languages, or just choose one. The teaching would be: years 7-9 4 hours a week, with subjects such as PSHE stopping by year 9, and then years 10-11 would have 5 hours per week.

Longer periods of time in the week are not viable because of required lessons such as Englishs, maths and science. Languages which are available for teaching are Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Korean, Italian, Spanish, French, Germa or Russian.

Good motion but why no Portuguese?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Good motion but why no Portuguese?
    Presumably because in the grand scheme of things, Portguese is still a relatively minor language. Even with the rise of Brazil as a likely major power in the 21st century, it hasn't the pull in Europe to change the current "league-table" of languages.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Presumably because in the grand scheme of things, Portguese is still a relatively minor language. Even with the rise of Brazil as a likely major power in the 21st century, it hasn't the pull in Europe to change the current "league-table" of languages.
    I think if you're including Dutch and Italian, you have to include Portuguese.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think if you're including Dutch and Italian, you have to include Portuguese.
    Well that would be for any bill to determine wouldn't it? Personally, I wouldn't prescribe languages since that inevitably leads to precisely this issue. I mean, we could play this game all night. If you're including Dutch, Portuguese and Italian why not Hindi, Farsi, or Zulu?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Well that would be for any bill to determine wouldn't it? Personally, I wouldn't prescribe languages since that inevitably leads to precisely this issue. I mean, we could play this game all night. If you're including Dutch, Portuguese and Italian why not Hindi, Farsi, or Zulu?
    Portuguese is a key European language and top 5 in the world overall. If Portuguese is not included I'll abstain.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hines)
    Languages which are available for teaching are Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Korean, Italian, Spanish, French, Germa or Russian.
    Dutch... are you serious? even the Dutch tell you not to bother, if they didn't have to speak it as it is their native language they wouldn't bother (source: several Dutch colleagues).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Portuguese is a key European language and top 5 in the world overall. If Portuguese is not included I'll abstain.
    It's not a key European language, though. Aside from Portugal itself and border regions of Spain, it's spoken nowhere else. It's in the top 5 of world languages because of its use in Brazil and that's all. This is a petition, it's calling on the government (or any party really) to do something about the teaching of languages in schools. You want to throw a tizzy about Portuguese, go right ahead. However, the more grown up thing to do would be to get Labour to respond to the petition and to forge a bill which reflects your ideas and demands. You want Portuguese included over and above languages spoken on the sub-continent then go right ahead on that as well.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Portuguese is a key European language.
    :rofl: what deluded Europe do you live in? it is not at all a key language in Europe or abroad.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    :rofl: what deluded Europe do you live in? it is not at all a key language in Europe or abroad.
    Look at the stats deluded Frenchie :cool:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at the stats deluded Frenchie :cool:
    Yes because of Brasil... one ****ing country who's Portuguese by the way is not the same as Portugal's, you'll need to teach both as it is not like Spanish and Latin Spanish with small differences, there are some big ones.

I'm not deluded... I'm not a lefty for a start.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Portuguese supposed to be wanted in roughly 0.6% of MFL graduates or something? I can't quite remember the statistic. It was in an assembly which was an undisguised plug for doing languages at A-level. Mr Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkey Mr Frenchie will be pleased to hear I'm doing A-level French next year
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Mr Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkey Mr Frenchie will be pleased to hear I'm doing A-level French next year
    I have never surrendered, I am not a monkey either. And no, no I am not pleased to hear you are doing A-Level French, do the DELF/DALF or nothing.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never surrendered, I am not a monkey either. And no, no I am not pleased to hear you are doing A-Level French, do the DELF/DALF or nothing.
    It was a joke?

What even is DELF or DALF, anyway?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a joke?

What even is DELF or DALF, anyway?
    Are you a joke?

Diplôme d'études en langue française et Diplôme approfondi de langue française.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you a joke?

Diplôme d'études en langue française et Diplôme approfondi de langue française.
    No, are you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to comment on any languages you feel should be added to the list. Portuguese wasn't added because Spanish is already there and Portuguese is only widely spoken in a few counties.

Dutch is included because a lot of business is in the Netherlands and it is a key European country.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, are you?
    No but clearly you are, thinking I'd be pleased that you are learning A-Level French, I don't care what you do and the insults make me dislike you even more.
Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.