The Student Room Group

PhD without scholarship...Is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xena1983
I expressly said if you can afford it, do it. Only the person undertaking the PhD knows if they can afford it. I am not saying that everybody should just be gung-ho and throw themselves in without careful financial planning but the OP should not write themselves off due to a lack of funding. It is not an indication as to how good they are.

My husband would have completed the PhD without funding if he had never received it and I appreciate that we are in a fortunate position because we have both worked very hard in the private sector for several years and have put money aside. If I don't get funding I will probably have to find some part-time work to supplement my husband's income but my point overall is that you cannot say "do not do the PhD if you don't have funding" because this is as much of a generalisation as saying that because one person can / might be able to afford it, so can everybody. This is getting garbled now but I just think we need to be careful of telling people that they are not good enough because they did not get funding, or that it is not possible or even worthwhile to self-fund a PhD. As I said, it is possible to get funding a second or even third time around. I am sorry about what happened to your friends and nobody knows what the future holds but frankly, it is even possible to get into financial trouble with funding.

It also seems odd that you are advising people not to do something because it might affect their emotional / psychological health and relationships. Yes, it might. But it might not! I suffered a nervous breakdown in November last year only 6 months into a well-paying new job. Money did not cause the breakdown. And I know that in some cases it might, but it just seems like odd advice. Perhaps not doing a PhD and taking a job that they hate just for the money might cause resentment in the relationship and lead to a breakdown. Who knows? This is a very personal thing to advise people on.

In the end, I always find this type of post strange. Should I go to x university? Should I do a PhD? Can I afford to leave work? Ultimately, only you know. Some unknown person sitting somewhere on a PC cannot know what is going on in your life or what is best for you.

Xena

Completely agree. I am rather confused about all this £100000+ costs... As far as I can see no uni charges more than a few thousand in the UK for PhDs. Living expenses might cost £10-15k per year but that is (somewhat) irrelevant because you would have to spend that living cost anyway - still this is less than half the number bantered around. The cost should not be measured in loss of earnings as, if you do something you are passionate about, for your own reasons, then there is no loss per sé. Part time PhDs are also available for those that want to work. Funding is generally unavailable in the UK but that's not to say it's impossible, particularly relevant if you join a team with funding - although you'll give up your own personal project to be part of that team...fair enough. Anyone ONLY considering PhDs that are funded might fall into two camps - those whose projects cannot be researched without funding, or those that don't consider their project to be worthy of their funding it themselves - for whatever reason - financial or otherwise. There are also those that merely want to take up the challenge for personal reasons. These people are not less valuable and their PhDs valued less because all is relative to their research project, the subject area, existing material and where they wish to take it...if the programme is something of value to a potential PhD student, and funding isn't necessarily available, it is not a complete dead end.
Reply 81
Original post by tabshiftspace
Completely agree. I am rather confused about all this £100000+ costs... As far as I can see no uni charges more than a few thousand in the UK for PhDs. Living expenses might cost £10-15k per year but that is (somewhat) irrelevant because you would have to spend that living cost anyway - still this is less than half the number bantered around. The cost should not be measured in loss of earnings as, if you do something you are passionate about, for your own reasons, then there is no loss per sé. Part time PhDs are also available for those that want to work. Funding is generally unavailable in the UK but that's not to say it's impossible, particularly relevant if you join a team with funding - although you'll give up your own personal project to be part of that team...fair enough. Anyone ONLY considering PhDs that are funded might fall into two camps - those whose projects cannot be researched without funding, or those that don't consider their project to be worthy of their funding it themselves - for whatever reason - financial or otherwise. There are also those that merely want to take up the challenge for personal reasons. These people are not less valuable and their PhDs valued less because all is relative to their research project, the subject area, existing material and where they wish to take it...if the programme is something of value to a potential PhD student, and funding isn't necessarily available, it is not a complete dead end.

Exactly. I spoke to my husband about this and his point is that because grants are now allocated in-house, applications for funding are subject to all sorts of internal prejudices - if the graduate tutor is a 70 year old processualist working on bronze age pot sherds, and your proposal is for a phenomenological exploration of WWII air-raid shelters, you will be up against it. Even if (or more probably especially if) your research is absolutely cutting edge.

I absolutely dream of a career in academia / research (albeit a flexible one, I'm done with the 9-5) but I also know that the MSc and PhD is something that I have to complete for myself. I've had such a hard time watching my husband achieving in an academic capacity and while I have been successful within my sector, I don't feel as though I have achieved everything that I want to yet. I need to leave something behind when I check out, not just a pot of cash. Unfortunately, I am not someone who gets self-esteem from money and being able to spend. If I did, that would be much easier and I'd be much more motivated to stay put and keep earning. As it is, we will have some financial instability / uncertainty in the coming years I'm sure. Unless I'm lucky and get funding!

Xena
Reply 82
Original post by Lilium
Since you mentioned IT, I'm gonna take a guess...is it a CS (or any related field - statistics, math, computational science, etc) PhD that you're shooting for?

My understanding *you* get paid to do the PhD, at least, that's how it works in the US. And unfunded positions are rarely given. At least, that's for anything science-related.

Nope, sorry. Been working in IT for the cash. My academic area is Psychiatry.

Xena
Reply 83
x

Well, I'm glad Ghost irritated you enough to get you to post :smile: I think your posts make a lot of sense, hope you hang around!!
Original post by *Corinna*
:s-smilie: why are people coming here posting completely irrelevant stuff like "oh in the US you get paid". It's not the US here is it?? How does 'what happens in the US' have anything to do with what happens in the UK where funding is much more scarce?

PhD students in Europe and elsewhere are generally awarded stipends, which while not much, is enough to live on. If there are tuition fees, they are generally waived. If not that, then the stipend is usually larger and one can pay off the tuition with that money. That's how it seems to work in Canada.

I find it illogical to do a PhD in country Z if one cannot secure funding there. Even more so if funding is available elsewhere in the world, with people conducting research in the same topic.
Original post by Lilium
PhD students in Europe and elsewhere are generally awarded stipends, which while not much, is enough to live on. If there are tuition fees, they are generally waived. If not that, then the stipend is usually larger and one can pay off the tuition with that money. That's how it seems to work in Canada.

I find it illogical to do a PhD in country Z if one cannot secure funding there. Even more so if funding is available elsewhere in the world, with people conducting research in the same topic.

What European countries are you talking about? I know for a fact that the UK, Greece, Italy, Germany, France (these are the countries I either personally or through Friends know about) only give bursaries to the students who win scholarships which of course are rair. Indeed most EU countries don't charge fees but admittedly some of the best unis in the world are in the UK. Also in order to study in most of these countries you need to be fluent in the language and this makes it evenore difficult for UK students to leave England.
Reply 86
Original post by sj27
Well, I'm glad Ghost irritated you enough to get you to post :smile: I think your posts make a lot of sense, hope you hang around!!

Thank you!! Yep - I'll be here. The next few years are going to be hairy and this is a really nice outlet for my thinks :wink:

Xena
What European countries are you talking about? I know for a fact that the UK, Greece, Italy, Germany, France (these are the countries I either personally or through Friends know about) only give bursaries to the students who win scholarships which of course are rair. Indeed most EU countries don't charge fees but admittedly some of the best unis in the world are in the UK. Also in order to study in most of these countries you need to be fluent in the language and this makes it evenore difficult for UK students to leave England.

My exposure is limited to math, physics and related fields. (so, mathematical sciences, in general) At the PhD level, things are *usually* in English. The Elitenetzwerk has a number of programs as well. How it works is that one "works" for the professor who is supervising their research...
Somebody I know told me that salaries vary depending on region, but it's usually something along the lines of 1k euros/per month. (Germany)

If you care to look through physicsgre.com, there's somebody there doing their PhD at the University of Amsterdam and apparently their PhD is funded.

The caveat, at least as far as math and physics is concerned, is that X university *could* be ranked #1 but be a horrible choice for one to do a PhD there because they don't have research groups in a particular sub-field. There are also more subjective things to be taken into account. "Do I like what this person is working on? Would I even want to work with them?" and so forth.

For Canada, see for yourself. I looked at Dalhousie, UBC and a couple of others I can't remember right now.
Reply 88
Original post by Lilium

You might find it illogical, but presumably you are young and single with no ties. How many of those stipends could fund a family that one might have to bring along - particularly if the funded PhD is in a country where the spouse may not work due to being the "wrong" nationality?
Reply 89
Original post by sj27
You might find it illogical, but presumably you are young and single with no ties. How many of those stipends could fund a family that one might have to bring along - particularly if the funded PhD is in a country where the spouse may not work due to being the "wrong" nationality?

Totally agree with this. Many people have elderly relatives - I, for one, could not leave the UK for 3-4 years and leave my Grandma. She has a chronic deteriorating illness and I'm not prepared to miss out on the time that she has left. I don't think this is illogical. In fact, it is totally logical! My family are more important to me than chasing funding around the world. And what about people who have children? :confused:

Xena
Original post by sj27

Yes. Familial constraints will make the life of anyone wanting a PhD hard(er).

I know of one person who has been able to pull it (PhD while taking care of their family) off. He's now a retired math professor. I suppose that his partner was working as well.
Reply 91
I think we are getting confused here... to put my thoughts simply: yes, ideally we would all choose a place with funding, but unfortunately this is not always possible for various reasons. I don't know what your situation is, I just remembered you saying you don't have funding, but maybe you are doing it in your home city and it works out cheaper for you, I don't know. Obviously you didn't mention you wanted to go overseas, that was my point after all, that even though it is a sound advice not everyone is willing to do it. I still think that if someone has the money to afford it (or is willing to take a loan) then they should not be labelled delusional.

Also, why would this topic be emotional for me? I just don't like that many people here (Not you, or Lilium) are so insulting towards people who self fund and it makes me a bit angry because I know how difficult it is to secure funding (even though I am lucky enough to have managed to) and I know how emotionally straining it can be without adding the opinions of people who tell you you aren't capable of doing a PhD.

:hello:

Ok, now where were we :smile:

Yes, I think both of us were getting confused here lol.

When I wrote 'delusional', I meant it to people who would do a PhD, a Master even, just for the sake of it without thinking properly the cost and the impact to their own personal life. I've once experienced this one particular person, who wants to do her PhD abroad; the reason? She said it looks 'fun' doing abroad.

When I heard that I went :eek: and was :mad:

A PG, especially a PhD, is no fun and games. The hell is wrong with some people thinking it's 'fun'? This is what I consider as one of those 'delusional' people.

If the person is willing to take a loan, alright. But I would advice the person to check, check and check again if it's worth swirling yourself to too much debt :/ It's not worth it, in my opinion of course, to swirl yourself into bankruptcy just for a 3 letter certificate. The PhD is a certificate. Nothing more nothing less. Yes, it will improve your life and it's an investment, but even with any investment, you need to consider where you put the money; would you need to relocate; would this affect your family; would this affect your health; etc. Though we could say the fees are cheap, but that's not considering the £0 for 3-4 years you'll be getting whilst doing a PhD - if we minus TAs, admins jobs, etc of course.

Yes, I'm doing this PhD self funded but it's within my budget (and even after 3 years, I can still live fortunately!) and if in any case I would suffer tremendous financial difficulties, I know deep down, I can get out whenever I want (lets hope to God that will never happen!). But say for example I did it in some fancy institution which will cost me tons of greens, my goodness, that would be stressful to me personally and to my family; and I'm sure this will affect my journey of completing the PhD.

About the 'emotional' part; I thought you were but I misunderstood you. I retract and I sincerely apologize for it.

Yes, again, I agree with you, some people here are really :colonhash:
Reply 92
I expressly said if you can afford it, do it. Only the person undertaking the PhD knows if they can afford it. I am not saying that everybody should just be gung-ho and throw themselves in without careful financial planning but the OP should not write themselves off due to a lack of funding. It is not an indication as to how good they are.

The bolded part I'd agree.

My husband would have completed the PhD without funding if he had never received it and I appreciate that we are in a fortunate position because we have both worked very hard in the private sector for several years and have put money aside. If I don't get funding I will probably have to find some part-time work to supplement my husband's income but my point overall is that you cannot say "do not do the PhD if you don't have funding" because this is as much of a generalisation as saying that because one person can / might be able to afford it, so can everybody. This is getting garbled now but I just think we need to be careful of telling people that they are not good enough because they did not get funding, or that it is not possible or even worthwhile to self-fund a PhD. As I said, it is possible to get funding a second or even third time around.

I see. I agree.

I am sorry about what happened to your friends and nobody knows what the future holds but frankly, it is even possible to get into financial trouble with funding.

Well, they are friends of a friend; and when you listen to their struggles, one often wonders how lucky they are to not be in such horrid situation :/ But you're right. Even with funding, some PhDs students are in some trouble themselves :/ One of my peers needed to use her savings because she had to extend another year of her 'funded' PhD and she's an international student, and you know how much fees they're paying! :eek:

It also seems odd that you are advising people not to do something because it might affect their emotional / psychological health and relationships. Yes, it might. But it might not! I suffered a nervous breakdown in November last year only 6 months into a well-paying new job. Money did not cause the breakdown. And I know that in some cases it might, but it just seems like odd advice. Perhaps not doing a PhD and taking a job that they hate just for the money might cause resentment in the relationship and lead to a breakdown. Who knows? This is a very personal thing to advise people on.

Well, when something has a probability of happening, one should be careful and very alert of it. That's the point.

Look, everyone has their own circumstances. Perhaps I myself was generalizing, or both of us were, I don't know, but again, everyone has their own circumstances and lets leave it to that.

In the end, I always find this type of post strange. Should I go to x university? Should I do a PhD? Can I afford to leave work? Ultimately, only you know. Some unknown person sitting somewhere on a PC cannot know what is going on in your life or what is best for you.

Xena

Perhaps they just want reassurance or different views? But I know where you're getting at. At the end of the day, it's better to decide on your own, and as you said, rather than some random person on the net influencing your opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Lilium

I know of one person who has been able to pull it (PhD while taking care of their family) off. He's now a retired math professor. I suppose that his partner was working as well.

I know a few people who have managed this and actually say that it was easier. Family life gave them stability and an extra income, plus they were motivated to treat the PhD like a job and get it done well because they had to make sure they could support their dependents at the end of it. I definitely think my homelife as it is now is a huge factor in making me feel able to make the move into academia. Horses for courses I guess.

Xena
Reply 94
Original post by Lilium

Some people just want the fame of the institution *cough* those on QS/THES *cough* so they are willing to do these sort of things... :/
Reply 95
This is not true. I am sick and tired of constantly arguing with you about this thing! (and I'm not the only one who does so) You should not be so quick to judge and dishearten people. There are a million things that matter in who gets the funding and ability is NOT the main one. Research proposal is probably the most important one and for this you HAVE to be lucky to happen to propose something that the people in the committee find interesting. Another thing is the FACT that funding is RIDICULOUSLY scarce!! My department at Oxford had to cut it's scholarships from 4 to 2!! Are you implying that the 2 people who, when they applied in 2011, where ranked 3rd and 4th were fine but the people applying in 2012 ranked 3rd and 4th (and because of the cuts received no money) are not "suitable"????

Surely if your chosen specialism is of no interest to anyone then your prospects of securing an academic posting would be slender-to-non-existent?
Reply 96
Original post by Lilium

Mate, one person is not good enough to represent/generalize 'people' can do such things. We do not know the real (negative/positive) impact of his PhD journey to the family.
Original post by Lilium

I don't think this is actually true. It's counter-intuitive, but a functional marriage will probably help rather than hinder.

It's very, very easy, as a single male to piss around doing nothing.
Reply 98
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I don't think this is actually true. It's counter-intuitive, but a functional marriage will probably help rather than hinder.

My husband said he would never have been able to get a distinction in his MA had he been in a flat share rather than in a house on his own with me. I was working so we would get up every day at the same time, go to bed at the same time (unless he had deadlines) and he had routine and stability. Plus, we didn't go out much.

Xena
Reply 99
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

Agreed - in general - but this also goes back to my point above about it being too simplistic to chase PhD funding around the world. Two examples:
- you are partly or fully funding your own PhD in your own country while your spouse works and helps provide a stable home base = family helps even though some people on TSR think you are stupid to do a non-funded PhD
- you chase a fully funded PhD to a country where your spouse cannot work, you struggle to get by on the stipend and your spouse is frustrated because they have to twiddle their thumbs for 3-5 years rather than advancing their own career = family constraint that outweighs benefits of funded PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending