Top 10 Universities other than oxbridge

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    My ambition is to become a barrister within London.
    What universities do chambers prefer other than ox-bridge?
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildman)
    omg, who cares?
    Someone bitter because they got another pupillage rejection
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prayforbetterdays)
    Someone bitter because they got another pupillage rejection
    "Oh no he didn't" (spoken as an ample African-American woman whilst clicking her fingers in a zig-zag motion).
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any recommendations for good AAB law universities?
    I'm applying to Kent, but i could do with another reserve.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    The University of Nincompoop Brookes St John Solent Metropolitan Trent.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    My ambition is to become a barrister within London.
    What universities do chambers prefer other than ox-bridge?
    Thanks
    This at Page 45 suggests:

UCL
    Sheffield
    Durham
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    KCL
    Nottingham
    UWE
    Birmingham
    Liverpool

In that order.

These are obviously totally watertight and definitely what chambers look for, because they're not interested in your all round application at all....or maybe they prove exactly that!

Also note that focussing on getting into Oxbridge is probably by far the best thing you can do in terms of getting into a certain uni helping your chances. Though the percentage is on the decline they are still well clear of the field in terms of numbers going to the Bar.

EDIT: This is more than just a little bit tongue in cheek. Though the stats are what they are, if you want to question them go ask the BSB.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is amazing for Law!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brevity)
    "Oh no he didn't" (spoken as an ample African-American woman whilst clicking her fingers in a zig-zag motion).
    that's so funny!!! I didn't get it at first until I had to act it out lol Brevity!!!!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Anyone got any recommendations for good AAB law universities?
    I'm applying to Kent, but i could do with another reserve.
    Why do you need another reserve? The point of a reserve is that the offer's below your predicted grades, so you should always breeze into it in terms of just getting an offer. Better off going for another 'realistic one' eg. Someone with LSE, Bristol, Birmingham and Kent already could add Manchester.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)

UCL
    Sheffield
    Durham
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    KCL
    Nottingham
    UWE
    Birmingham
    Liverpool

In that order.
    There must be some kind of mistake... shouldn't UWE be at the top?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    A basic google search will tell you. Check out a range of league tables, see which names seem to come up most. Don't just look at one.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Why do you need another reserve? The point of a reserve is that the offer's below your predicted grades, so you should always breeze into it in terms of just getting an offer. Better off going for another 'realistic one' eg. Someone with LSE, Bristol, Birmingham and Kent already could add Manchester.
    Well i believe i'm predicted AAA but i don't think i'm capable of 3 A's, perhaps A* A B, as I'm struggling in Geography. Birmingham, Leeds, Kent(x2), and sheffield are my current list
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Well i believe i'm predicted AAA but i don't think i'm capable of 3 A's, perhaps A* A B, as I'm struggling in Geography. Birmingham, Leeds, Kent(x2), and sheffield are my current list
    But remember when it comes to it you only have 1 Firm and 1 Reserve and if you're predicted AAA you're very likely to get into Kent, so there's no point having a second reserve because you'll have to ditch that by this time next year anyway.

Given the others are more likely to reject you than Kent are (though you'd be very unlucky to miss all 3) why not stick say Manchester in there (given you clearly like big cities ). If you do that and end up with offers only from Manc and Kent you'd be really thankful I guess, whereas were the 3 that reject you in that scenario to do so, leaving you with just two reserves to make your Firm and Insurance, you'd be really p****d off!

Have confidence in yourself, your teachers predicted you those grades because they think you'll get them!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    But remember when it comes to it you only have 1 Firm and 1 Reserve and if you're predicted AAA you're very likely to get into Kent, so there's no point having a second reserve because you'll have to ditch that by this time next year anyway.

Given the others are more likely to reject you than Kent are (though you'd be very unlucky to miss all 3) why not stick say Manchester in there (given you clearly like big cities ). If you do that and end up with offers only from Manc and Kent you'd be really thankful I guess, whereas were the 3 that reject you in that scenario to do so, leaving you with just two reserves to make your Firm and Insurance, you'd be really p****d off!

Have confidence in yourself, your teachers predicted you those grades because they think you'll get them!
    Manchester is my home town, and as much as i am in LOVE with Manchester, and i think its the greatest place in britain, i do want to move away from home. Kent is on there twice because i quite fancy the Law with a year in Hong Kong course
    I really need to buckle down for A2 to secure the grades, good motivation i suppose
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Manchester is my home town, and as much as i am in LOVE with Manchester, and i think its the greatest place in britain, i do want to move away from home. Kent is on there twice because i quite fancy the Law with a year in Hong Kong course
    I really need to buckle down for A2 to secure the grades, good motivation i suppose
    Mancs are pretty patriotic (though obviously if you go to Leeds Uni you'll prefer Leeds, cos it's, you know, better )!

Ah OK, seems fair enough though I'd still look at some other AAA places (Newcastle maybe?) and obviously if you do better than expected at AS look at Oxbridge, Durham etc.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Mancs are pretty patriotic (though obviously if you go to Leeds Uni you'll prefer Leeds, cos it's, you know, better )!

Ah OK, seems fair enough though I'd still look at some other AAA places (Newcastle maybe?) and obviously if you do better than expected at AS look at Oxbridge, Durham etc.
    Love everything apart from MCFC It's a lovely place to be.

Yeah i'm going to see how i do at AS before i think about Warwick/durham and similar, i made the mistake of taking business studies (don't shoot) which i know Universities and TSR folk don't like.

I do love Leeds, actually! my sister did her degree there and i went to visit her several times and i really enjoyed it
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Love everything apart from MCFC It's a lovely place to be.

Yeah i'm going to see how i do at AS before i think about Warwick/durham and similar, i made the mistake of taking business studies (don't shoot) which i know Universities and TSR folk don't like.

I do love Leeds, actually! my sister did her degree there and i went to visit her several times and i really enjoyed it
    We try not to mention football too much over here

Don't worry about business I'm not going to shoot, TSR does, to say the least, over egg things. In fact the cleverest law student I've ever met did Business, and doing so allowed her to have Durham as reserve, something I suspect certain TSR posters would wet themselves at the thought of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chilbaldi)
    great, another university league table bore.

Here's a tip: how about focusing on yourself?
    I asked for chambers preferences not what the league table says.
    And by knowing what universities I need to get into it'll allow me to focus on myself because it'll be my motivation to get good grades and make myself a perfect applicant for the universities I choose to apply to. Please Don't try it I'll just embarrass you but it's only tsr so I don't really care

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I asked for chambers preferences not what the league table says.
    And by knowing what universities I need to get into it'll allow me to focus on myself because it'll be my motivation to get good grades and make myself a perfect applicant for the universities I choose to apply to. Please Don't try it I'll just embarrass you but it's only tsr so I don't really care

If you can't find this by yourself using Google, taking into account its Ronseal title, forgive me if I don't rush off to Ladbrokes to back you to secure pupillage at Essex Court in a few years time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    This at Page 45 suggests:

UCL
    Sheffield
    Durham
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    KCL
    Nottingham
    UWE
    Birmingham
    Liverpool

In that order.

These are obviously totally watertight and definitely what chambers look for, because they're not interested in your all round application at all....or maybe they prove exactly that!

Also note that focussing on getting into Oxbridge is probably by far the best thing you can do.
    Thank you very much

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 27, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.