Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to go away but don't know how to persuade my parents!!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I have suffered from an eating disorder for the last 4 years which started off as anorexia and then turned into anorexia with binge and purge. I am currently in hospital having been in A and E 4 times in one week after overdosing big time on laxatives!! I have been in hospital for nearly a month now and feel sooo much better!! Truthfully, wen my ED isnt in my head, I always feel so good: my friend calls me 'possessed' when ED thoughts enter; its almost like im a different person!!!
    My problem now is that my parents are extremely over-protective (and understandably so). I was meant to be going away with a group of friends in the summer which I now cant do and I understand that. However, my parents are now also seriously considering whether we can go away at all- we have booked a family holiday. Their arguments for staying here are that the hospital is near and it will be safe. I, personally, think staying here will be much worse as all my friends will be away, I'll be bored and much more likely to do somethign stupid. I have explained this to my parents but they need a lot more convincing. I don't know what I can say or do to persuade them? Any suggestions??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugarcandy)
    So I have suffered from an eating disorder for the last 4 years which started off as anorexia and then turned into anorexia with binge and purge. I am currently in hospital having been in A and E 4 times in one week after overdosing big time on laxatives!! I have been in hospital for nearly a month now and feel sooo much better!! Truthfully, wen my ED isnt in my head, I always feel so good: my friend calls me 'possessed' when ED thoughts enter; its almost like im a different person!!!
    My problem now is that my parents are extremely over-protective (and understandably so). I was meant to be going away with a group of friends in the summer which I now cant do and I understand that. However, my parents are now also seriously considering whether we can go away at all- we have booked a family holiday. Their arguments for staying here are that the hospital is near and it will be safe. I, personally, think staying here will be much worse as all my friends will be away, I'll be bored and much more likely to do somethign stupid. I have explained this to my parents but they need a lot more convincing. I don't know what I can say or do to persuade them? Any suggestions??
    If their argument is the availablity of medical care, suggest they take out travel/medical insurance and do your research beforehand on local hospitals available. If that's the only sticking point, you've suggested a solution to the problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advent2)
    If their argument is the availablity of medical care, suggest they take out travel/medical insurance and do your research beforehand on local hospitals available. If that's the only sticking point, you've suggested a solution to the problem.
    I wish it was as simple as that. They want to be near the hospital I have been treated at for 2 years and who know my history and have an eating disorders service so that wouldnt work thanks tho
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugarcandy)
    I wish it was as simple as that. They want to be near the hospital I have been treated at for 2 years and who know my history and have an eating disorders service so that wouldnt work thanks tho
    What's your doctors opinion? would he/she agree that going on holiday would improve your mental health and that excessive boredom during the summer may trigger another relapse?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.