The Student Room Group

First Car :)

Scroll to see replies

What? :/ ...
I had a Ford Fiesta which was nice and easy. I have a Mazda 2 now, I wouldn't recommend it as a first car though since the clutch is crazy, the bite is very low and it's easy to stall, especially being petrol - the diesel might not be as bad. Nice looking car though and comes in nice colours (mine is Lime green!).
Original post by LouboutinLove
I had a Ford Fiesta which was nice and easy. I have a Mazda 2 now, I wouldn't recommend it as a first car though since the clutch is crazy, the bite is very low and it's easy to stall, especially being petrol - the diesel might not be as bad. Nice looking car though and comes in nice colours (mine is Lime green!).

My dad was suggesting that actually :smile: Thanks!
Reply 23
I wanted a Suzuki Swift (I passed my test in one) driving it was a breeze!

My first car (and i'm still driving it) is a 1.2 Fiat Punto 02 reg for £1200 my first years insurance was £2600 TPFT (through Tesco) then once I got my 1st years NCB I am now with a insurance company called 1st Central and that cost me just over £1000 for full comp - I know all this maybe a little OT, but just an idea on prices to expect. But I love my Fiat Punto and I'm gonna try and keep it through uni if I can.
Reply 24
vauxhall corsa
Original post by lwepenn
I wanted a Suzuki Swift (I passed my test in one) driving it was a breeze!

My first car (and i'm still driving it) is a 1.2 Fiat Punto 02 reg for £1200 my first years insurance was £2600 TPFT (through Tesco) then once I got my 1st years NCB I am now with a insurance company called 1st Central and that cost me just over £1000 for full comp - I know all this maybe a little OT, but just an idea on prices to expect. But I love my Fiat Punto and I'm gonna try and keep it through uni if I can.

Ok. I dont really understand the insurance thing :/ ...but thanks. I just want a small, practical car :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by hopingforuni12
Ok. I dont really understand the insurance thing :/ ...but thanks. I just want a small, practical car :smile:

TPFT = Third Part, Fire and Theft - Covers damage to a car you hit, if your car is set on fire or stolen

NCB = No Claims Bonus - the more years without accident the cheaper the insurance.

Fully Comp = Comprehensive insurance covers EVERYTHING

Be under no illusion getting the car is the easy bit, no matter how small or practical the car is - the insurance is always extortionate, unless your not paying for it of course, unfortunately I had to pay for my own insurance which is why I included the prices of it in the post.

But enjoy it, driving is the best.
Original post by lwepenn
TPFT = Third Part, Fire and Theft - Covers damage to a car you hit, if your car is set on fire or stolen

NCB = No Claims Bonus - the more years without accident the cheaper the insurance.

Fully Comp = Comprehensive insurance covers EVERYTHING

Be under no illusion getting the car is the easy bit, no matter how small or practical the car is - the insurance is always extortionate, unless your not paying for it of course, unfortunately I had to pay for my own insurance which is why I included the prices of it in the post.

But enjoy it, driving is the best.

I am not paying for the car or the insurance or the tax or anything tbh so its all good :smile:
Reply 28
I just got my first car a few weeks ago. I got a renault clio, i love it !! More than I thought I would. Its such a good car for everything and mine is really cheap to run around.
Reply 29
Original post by hopingforuni12
...I am not looking for jokes I am being serious but that did make me laugh!

I was being serious...

Classic car insurance is cheaper. My mate has a beetle... I am looking to get one this summer.
I am being deadly serious. And they are tax exempt and look really cool.
Original post by babit
vauxhall corsa

Original post by suz--
I just got my first car a few weeks ago. I got a renault clio, i love it !! More than I thought I would. Its such a good car for everything and mine is really cheap to run around.

Sounds good :smile: The cheaper the better even though I am not paying for anything.
Original post by Jeester
I was being serious...

Classic car insurance is cheaper. My mate has a beetle... I am looking to get one this summer.
I am being deadly serious. And they are tax exempt and look really cool.

Ok sorry! :smile:
So a Suzuki Swift then? Or can anyone suggest anything else?
Get a GOLF or a POLO!!
Reply 35
Original post by hanaxo
fiat 500!!so nice to drive & cute toooo

Mini's have an equal level of cuteness.

<3 x
Reply 36
Old rolls Royce, powerful, comfortable, cheap(ish) to insure, sexy... The list goes on. Not joking either.. Look for one
Get a Ford Ka. It seems to be the favorite for a first car for female drivers. I think the insurance is cheaper for this car as well

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 38
Is this a really well concealed troll?
Reply 39
Original post by Hustler-1337
Get a Ford Ka. It seems to be the favorite for a first car for female drivers.

Not necessarily girls either, a mate had one as his first car and it was frigging hilarious (as its percieved as a girls car). He's a big rugby player and he had his sisters old Y reg Ka and it lasted him for about 3 months before it failed its MOT (but that was down to them not looking after it).

On a serious note, get a ford or vw, you cannot go wrong if you take the time to find a decent one.

Quick Reply

Latest