The Student Room Group

MEI M1 exam discussion - Friday 1st June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Stephybob
I actually quite liked it, I was glad there wasn't anything with loads of pulleys and weights. I think the locomotive question was fine once you'd realised you had to convert from tonnes into kg, my friend forgot and got acceleration as like 100 ms^-2 :L

I definitely found it more wordy than the past papers I've done though, what with applying a 0 resultant to a situation with a particle and hiker etc.

pipe down smart arse!!
Original post by nju
Hi I know this is off topic but in January I did C3 and the mark I got in the results does it include the coursework mark?

Yes.
Reply 102
Original post by xiyangliu
Dear.. Dnt kick yourself over it.. Get ready for your next exam.. What's done is done (is it Macbeth?) good luck to your rest exams :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

thanks but its just upsetting that this small mistake might cost me a grade
btw i am not macbeth
Reply 103
i heard that if you average over 80% in C3 and C4 you get an A regardless of what M1 is. is that true? how does that work?
thanks all:smile:
I heard u need 80% overall to get an A in maths and 90% overall with 90% at least in C3 and C4 to achieve A*

Good bye A*

Reply 105
Original post by arnoldcd
pipe down smart arse!!

Sorry I was under the impression this was a general discussion of people's opinions on how they found the paper?
Reply 106
Original post by dark sage
i heard that if you average over 80% in C3 and C4 you get an A regardless of what M1 is. is that true? how does that work?

Not neccessarily, I believe for an A each module is taken equally as 1/6 towards the final grade, but yes to get A* you have to average 90% between C3 and C4, plus an A at AS :smile:
Not neccessarily, I believe for an A each module is taken equally as 1/6 towards the final grade, but yes to get A* you have to average 90% between C3 and C4 :smile:

Really ?! Hm... I might have a small chance of getting an A* I guess.... I need it for my offer !! -_-

Original post by dark sage

Not sure about that. You could be getting mixed up with the A* criteria.
For an A* you need 90% average in C3 and C4 and 80% over the two years. But (according to my teacher) if you do an A2 level third module (S2, M2, D2 and so on) that can count towards the 90% too. I think for an A you just need 80% average (e.g. 480 UMS). Its explained here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 109
Sorry I was under the impression this was a general discussion of people's opinions on how they found the paper?

did you?? sorry you thought wrong.... not its just you came across very snotty and didnt actually help the discussion in the slightest, quite self-absorbed really!
Reply 110
Really ?! Hm... I might have a small chance of getting an A* I guess.... I need it for my offer !! -_-

Ahh I hope you do well, for my offers thankfully I don't need A* but I can always hope :rolleyes:
Ahh I hope you do well, for my offers thankfully I don't need A* but I can always hope :rolleyes:

Cheers. What course u taking at uni then ?

Reply 112
did you?? sorry you thought wrong.... not its just you came across very snotty and didnt actually help the discussion in the slightest, quite self-absorbed really!

So instead of talking generally about the paper you'd rather someone write out a preliminary mark scheme would you? I believe that would just make them more of a smart arse in your eyes, so I decided to go for the more general option. You can make a markscheme if you like.
Reply 113
Original post by JumpingFrog
Yes.

So does that mean 4753A has a higher weighting than the other exams
Reply 114
Cheers. What course u taking at uni then ?

Funnily enough, Music at Birmingham hopefully! I need AAB but purely because my teacher wouldn't predict me A* in Maths, I might just try and prove her wrong :P
What about you?
Original post by nju
So does that mean 4753A has a higher weighting than the other exams

4753A is Core 3 right? I should know seeing as I'm resitting it...

Not at all. Like how you might expect Core 4 to have a higher weighting because of the comprehension. I guess the higher difficulty of Core 3 and Core 4 (due to the extra bits) is why the A* is based on them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
So instead of talking generally about the paper you'd rather someone write out a preliminary mark scheme would you? I believe that would just make them more of a smart arse in your eyes, so I decided to go for the more general option. You can make a markscheme if you like.

I would prefer said person not to boast, yes. Taking into consideration those who think they havent done as well as they had liked! a markscheme is up for debate whereas your statement just emphasised your own agenda. the people who put up markscheme have taken the time and effort to consider others and be helpful, you however did not. Thats all my point was... sorry!
Funnily enough, Music at Birmingham hopefully! I need AAB but purely because my teacher wouldn't predict me A* in Maths, I might just try and prove her wrong :P
What about you?

Nice.. It's rare to see music students taking maths level :smile: anyway hm I am hoping to do a physics degree at Manchester... Tho they said my grades were arbitrary but I reckon I still need 3 As at least :frown:

Reply 118
I would prefer said person not to boast, yes. Taking into consideration those who think they havent done as well as they had liked! a markscheme is up for debate whereas your statement just emphasised your own agenda. the people who put up markscheme have taken the time and effort to consider others and be helpful, you however did not. Thats all my point was... sorry!

Okay no worries, I guess I assumed that both positive and negative opinions on the paper would be welcome. :smile:
Reply 119
Okay no worries, I guess I assumed that both positive and negative opinions on the paper would be welcome. :smile:

no my fault, tiredness gets to you. Definate overreaction on my part, my apologies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending