The Student Room Group

Iran: Discovery will collapse Christianity.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't understand why Muslims and Christians fight. We both believe in ONE Deity (Christians in God, Muslims in Allah). Christians believe in the Bible and Muslims in the Qur'an which are very similar.

So if you can't accept that and still believe that your respective religion is the only religion, fine. Keep that to yourself and your fellow believers and live in coexistence with every other religion.

I don't think God OR Allah had said anywhere that you should kill, persecute or mock the non-believers. If He deems anyone to be punished, He will punish them Himself.

PEACE.
Reply 21
Original post by ezioaudi77
I don't understand why Muslims and Christians fight. We both believe in ONE Deity (Christians in God, Muslims in Allah). Christians believe in the Bible and Muslims in the Qur'an which are very similar.

So if you can't accept that and still believe that your respective religion is the only religion, fine. Keep that to yourself and your fellow believers and live in coexistence with every other religion.

I don't think God OR Allah had said anywhere that you should kill, persecute or mock the non-believers. If He deems anyone to be punished, He will punish them Himself.

PEACE.

There is quite a significant difference between the Quran & Bible to be fair. And Allah is God...
Muslims call Allah, God too.
Arab Christians call God, Allah.
The reason they prefer to use the word Allah is because in Arabic it is a grammatically perfect word.
God can be changed to god, Gods, Goddess whilst the word Allah in Arabic cannot be changed into a feminine word, nor can the word Allah be pluralized without completely try changing the word.
However, I agree with what your saying in general.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by ezioaudi77

PEACE.

The Muslim Allah and the Christian God cannot be the same.

In islam Allah has no son and there trinity is blasphemy.
"They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary." Qur'an 5:17

In christianity to deny the diety of christ is blasphemy.

"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also."
1 John 2:22
Reply 23
Original post by Polka Dot

"They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary." Qur'an 5:17

"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also."

In my original post, I don't say Christianity is Islam. I say they are similar. Yes, you are right, there are differences, but you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

This is what I am saying. Almost every religion in the world is different from each other due to different viewpoints, BUT there are similarities as well. Why worry about the differences, if it leads to further conflict? No proper religion in the world says to destroy other religions, does it?
Reply 24

Define "son"
Many Christians claim to believe that Jesus is obviously not Gods begotten son, but that the word son is used in the sense that we are all sons of Adam & God.
Whilst others claim to believe as it says in the bible tht Jesus was Gods begotten son.
...and others claim Jesus was God himself.

Reply 25
Original post by Kya
Define "son"
Many Christians claim to believe that Jesus is obviously not Gods begotten son, but that the word son is used in the sense that we are all sons of Adam & God.
Whilst others claim to believe as it says in the bible tht Jesus was Gods begotten son.
...and others claim Jesus was God himself.

The verse here is talking about Jesus

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "

The phrase translated only begotten here is the greek word monogenes, this word has two primary definitions.

1. "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship"

This is the context it is used in the verse Hebrews 11:17

"By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,"

As you know Abraham had more than one son but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant.

2. "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind." This is the meaning that is implied in John 3:16.

His use of this word is to highlight Jesus as uniquely God's Son—sharing the same divine nature as God—as opposed to believers who are God's sons and daughters through faith.

There word son and father are descriptive human words used to help describe the relationship between the different Persons of the Trinity. If you understand the relationship between a human father and a human son, then you can understand, in part, the relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. But the analogy breaks down if you take it too far and say that Jesus was literally "begotten" as in “produced” or “created” by God the Father.

Original post by Kya

.and others claim Jesus was God himself.

What do you mean by others? You seem to be implying that some christians don't believe Jesus is God?

If thats what you mean then you are mistaken. ALL christians believe that Jesus is God thats the whole doctrine of the trinity. No one can be a christian and deny the diety of christ the bible is very clear on christs deity Jesus himself declares it when he says in John 10:30

"I and my Father are one"

So any "christian" organisation or denomination denying Christ is God are not christians at all but are infact a cult.
Reply 26
The verse here is talking about Jesus

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "

The phrase translated only begotten here is the greek word monogenes, this word has two primary definitions.

1. "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship"

This is the context it is used in the verse Hebrews 11:17

"By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,"

As you know Abraham had more than one son but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant.

2. "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind." This is the meaning that is implied in John 3:16.

His use of this word is to highlight Jesus as uniquely God's Son—sharing the same divine nature as God—as opposed to believers who are God's sons and daughters through faith.

There word son and father are descriptive human words used to help describe the relationship between the different Persons of the Trinity. If you understand the relationship between a human father and a human son, then you can understand, in part, the relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. But the analogy breaks down if you take it too far and say that Jesus was literally "begotten" as in “produced” or “created” by God the Father.

What do you mean by others? You seem to be implying that some christians don't believe Jesus is God?

If thats what you mean then you are mistaken. ALL christians believe that Jesus is God thats the whole doctrine of the trinity. No one can be a christian and deny the diety of christ the bible is very clear on christs deity Jesus himself declares it when he says in John 10:30

"I and my Father are one"

So any "christian" organisation or denomination denying Christ is God are not christians at all but are infact a cult.

Matt 4:1 - "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil"

So God was tempted by his own creation - the Devil?

Also, many Christians I know irl and on tsr believe Jesus was only the son of God. Not that he is God himself.
How is it possible for Jesus to be Gods son yet God himself simultaneously?
Take religion out of the equation - this is logic and simple self contradiction we're on about here.

Also please don't feel offended, I'm not one of those people who is trying to be a tw^t, I enjoy discussions like this :smile:

Reply 27
Original post by Kya
Matt 4:1 - "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil"

So God was tempted by his own creation - the Devil?

Jesus came down as a human and allowed him self to be made susceptable to human sufferings including temptations so that he could live a perfect human life and therefore pay the price of human sin and in so doing enable human beings to become holy in Gods eyes. So in order to live a full human life he had to be tempted.

Original post by Kya
Also, many Christians I know irl and on tsr believe Jesus was only the son of God. Not that he is God himself.

Then they are not christian. The bible is clear on the subject.

The Gospel of John 1:1-3

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

'the Word' is a refering to Jesus.

Original post by Kya
How is it possible for Jesus to be Gods son yet God himself simultaneously?
Take religion out of the equation - this is logic and simple self contradiction we're on about here.

Here is a good explaination of the trinity:

"What then does it mean that God exists as the Trinity? It is a basic principle of our biblical faith that there is only one God. “Hear, O Israel! The LORD our God, the LORD is one!” (Deuteronomy 6:4). The unity of the Godhead cannot be questioned. God does not consist of parts. He is one. But Scripture reveals that there are, in that one divine essence, three eternal distinctions. Those distinctions seem best described as Persons, known as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All three have identical attributes, however, and therefore they are one—not merely one in mind and purpose, but one in substance. To possess all the same attributes is to be one in essential nature. The three Persons of the Godhead possess identical attributes. They are one in substance and one in essence, and therefore they are one God.

Original post by Kya
Also please don't feel offended, I'm not one of those people who is trying to be a tw^t, I enjoy discussions like this :smile:

No worries I like talking about my faith with people who aren't being belligerent even if they disagree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Polka Dot

xxx

Kya
xxx

This isn't the Religion forum, continue the theological debate here please :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending