Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This nonesense needs to stop.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingZizou)
    nono, i KNOW zidane is better than messi. comparing the 2 is ridiculous

you can compare fat ronaldo to zidane, that's perfectly acceptable, but messi? come on..

they did have quality in their team in 1998 and 2006, but they never had the BEST team.

do you remember the brazil team in 2006? they were stupid good, and had the best players. zidane ALONE made them look like 10 year olds, he bossed em all over the pitch. he got henry through to the keeper (1 on 1) twice in the match and henry failed to convert both, then zidane's freekick which put the goal on a plate for henry won them the match.

i remember watching every france match with my dad and older brother (we're not french). the man did it all by himself. he made the entire team perform better and turned ribery and malouda into stars.

yes, here's the video again. every time he has the ball there are 3 players swarming him:

the difference is that when teams tried to mark zidane he punished them even more and took those players out of the game. teams gave up, they knew that all you can do is sit back when zidane has the ball.

you saw chelsea stick 5 players around messi and that kept him out of the game. messi couldn't do jack, he just accepted that there was nothing he could do. it works against him - zidane on the other hand could not be dealt with. i think it was makelele that said when you're trying to defend against zidane you became a spectator, there was nothing you could do to dispossess him.

lool messi wasn't even the best player for argentina though, tevez was. if the argentina squad was so bad why didn't messi stand out? how can he be considered the best of all time when he can't even put in a half-decent performance internationally.

You clearly never actually watch Messi play for Argentina do you? He was by far the best player for Argentina and had the most assists in the team for that competition. What the **** did Tevez do?

Messi is breaking pretty much every club record that there is. He is the greatest finisher the game has ever seen bar Pele. Of course that makes him a legend.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingZizou)
    nono, i KNOW zidane is better than messi. comparing the 2 is ridiculous

you can compare fat ronaldo to zidane, that's perfectly acceptable, but messi? come on..

they did have quality in their team in 1998 and 2006, but they never had the BEST team.

do you remember the brazil team in 2006? they were stupid good, and had the best players. zidane ALONE made them look like 10 year olds, he bossed em all over the pitch. he got henry through to the keeper (1 on 1) twice in the match and henry failed to convert both, then zidane's freekick which put the goal on a plate for henry won them the match.

i remember watching every france match with my dad and older brother (we're not french). the man did it all by himself. he made the entire team perform better and turned ribery and malouda into stars.

yes, here's the video again. every time he has the ball there are 3 players swarming him:

the difference is that when teams tried to mark zidane he punished them even more and took those players out of the game. teams gave up, they knew that all you can do is sit back when zidane has the ball.

you saw chelsea stick 5 players around messi and that kept him out of the game. messi couldn't do jack, he just accepted that there was nothing he could do. it works against him - zidane on the other hand could not be dealt with. i think it was makelele that said when you're trying to defend against zidane you became a spectator, there was nothing you could do to dispossess him.

lool messi wasn't even the best player for argentina though, tevez was. if the argentina squad was so bad why didn't messi stand out? how can he be considered the best of all time when he can't even put in a half-decent performance internationally.
    No, you are the ridiculous one. You've chosen two players who play in different positions, and keep picking out attributes that are more prevalent in central midfielders than in forwards to demonstrate that Zidane is "better" than Messi.

It's like saying John Terry is better than Zidane because he makes more goal saving tackles. It's a complete logical fallacy.

Just like you keep pointing out how good Zidane's passing is, I can point out that Messi scored 50 goals in 37 league games last season, which Zidane has never even come close to achieving.

When forwards have off days, they look worse than when CMs have off days. Further up the pitch there is less space so it's easier for forwards to get crowded out. CMs don't have this problem, if they're having a bad game (and Zidane has had several, just like all players have) then they'll have worse passing/tackling accuracy than usual but they'll still have the space to pull off some good passes etc. Forwards don't have this luxury.

For what it's worth, I don't actually think Messi is "better" than Zidane. They're not directly comparable as they play in different positions. I've just had enough of this constant stream of anti-Messi threads, full of logical fallacies like "until he wins the World Cup he won't be the best ever", completely ignoring the fact that national teams vary in strength hugely and that a player's country of birth is completely arbitrary. No way would Zidane have won the World Cup for Argentina in 2010. That team was nothing compared the the France 1998 and 2006 squads. France had Thuram, Desailly, Lizarazu, Leboeuf, Abidal in defence.
    Who did Argentina have? Jonas Gutierrez. FFS. :facepalm:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still enjoyed watching Zidane more, but his ability speaks for itself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skimmed the thread, saw the kingzizou guy said zidane scored two late goals to win the world cup (he scored 2 in the first half, petit scored late on) and he believed the zidane was never offside myth, lol.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2012
New on TSR

A-Level Results Day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.