The Student Room Group

Subjects for Architecture?

At the moment im taking:
HL English, chemistry, psychology SL math, Spanish, art

Are these ok for architecture?

Thank you!

Ps I checked and don't need physics
Reply 1
It really doesn't matter for architecture. I've had offers with what many people would consider odd A-level subjects for architecture; Geography, Biology, Art and General Studies (chemistry AS). As for maths and physics you don't need them, as you can see from my subjects. My friend always told me that you NEED maths and physics, well you really don't, so don't believe people like that. Honestly don't worry too much it is one of the better subjects for allowing you to have a wide range, most like art in some form, plus it makes producing a portfolio of a high standard much easier. But maybe art in HL because then you will be on a more level playing field with people who did A-level art. Do what you enjoy and can do well in and it will lead you in the right direction :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Claire888
It really doesn't matter for architecture. I've had offers with what many people would consider odd A-level subjects for architecture; Geography, Biology, Art and General Studies (chemistry AS). As for maths and physics you don't need them, as you can see from my subjects. My friend always told me that you NEED maths and physics, well you really don't, so don't believe people like that. Honestly don't worry too much it is one of the better subjects for allowing you to have a wide range, most like art in some form, plus it makes producing a portfolio of a high standard much easier. But maybe art in HL because then you will be on a more level playing field with people who did A-level art. Do what you enjoy and can do well in and it will lead you in the right direction :smile:

Thanks Alot!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Do you know the universities you want to apply to? My good friend took HL Math, struggled quite a bit, and the school didn't offer HL Art that year so she couldn't take it. Turns out, most unis asked her for HL Art and just SL math, or even Studies... she was quite bummed.
Reply 4
I suggest u take phys. Its gnna be a great help to u in archi. Cause ur gnna take a sub called structure and thats phys a mil times worse so good luck with that :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 5
Original post by WLDL3
Do you know the universities you want to apply to? My good friend took HL Math, struggled quite a bit, and the school didn't offer HL Art that year so she couldn't take it. Turns out, most unis asked her for HL Art and just SL math, or even Studies... she was quite bummed.

Really? Because Im only taking SL art..:/ shame so what did she do?

Original post by kooks78
I suggest u take phys. Its gnna be a great help to u in archi. Cause ur gnna take a sub called structure and thats phys a mil times worse so good luck with that :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

Yeah I know, but my school doesn't offer physics.. Which is really stupid!!
The only reason its common to think "I need to study a combination of maths and sciences" to study architecture is because getting to know these subjects well will broaden your ideas and knowledge in specif key areas within the discipline.

In order to get onto a degree course you must show 'Artistic' ability. Drawing. 3D/ spatial awareness. Many have got fantastic grades but have been let down by their lack of technical ability.

To conclude, at this stage in your architectural journey, you should concern yourself with the art side more (take on its subjects: graphic design, fine art etc). Then once you have acquired the skills needed to progress onto an architectural degree you can delve yourself into the sciences, mathematics and history of the discipline.
Reply 7
Original post by SunRiseAtDawn
Really? Because Im only taking SL art..:/ shame so what did she do?

Yeah I know, but my school doesn't offer physics.. Which is really stupid!!

Well, she never really wanted to apply to one of the most prestigious universities, so they didn't ask for such demanding courses. She sent her portfolio in and was accepted to Nottingham Trent, but most better universities ask for some form of art.
Reply 8
What school is this for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending