The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to move into halls without parents permission?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I had to consider this too, not being able to move out at our age is really unfair. I think that although moving to halls without permission sounds like a good idea now, in the long run it's probably not. I mean, where would you go in the holidays, and more importantly when uni is over? If you think you can do it, then I wish you luck with it (:
Original post by Rosalie-x
I had to consider this too, not being able to move out at our age is really unfair. I think that although moving to halls without permission sounds like a good idea now, in the long run it's probably not. I mean, where would you go in the holidays, and more importantly when uni is over? If you think you can do it, then I wish you luck with it (:

Some people manage to find somewhere to live and work during the holidays.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 222
I think as long as you've got all the requirements ie finical backing, 18 years or over etc you should be fine. But what happens when you want to go home in the holidays?
Reply 223
Original post by Coffeegirl
:ashamed2:sorry for stealing the thread OP! What is happening with your situation? :smile:

Haha its cool :smile: There is no way my parents will allow me to move. Talked to them many many times, wont listen. I'm leaving it til my exams are over. Its stresses me out

To be honest, I dont know if I want to move out now:confused: Seen some stories on here about how it really isnt great. May not like the people. Plus I have OCD issues, hate messiness, hate people touching my things. I get angry/worked up waayy to easily :frown:

Having said that.. I still would want to just for the 'experience'
Original post by Anonymous
Haha its cool :smile: There is no way my parents will allow me to move. Talked to them many many times, wont listen. I'm leaving it til my exams are over. Its stresses me out

To be honest, I dont know if I want to move out now:confused: Seen some stories on here about how it really isnt great. May not like the people. Plus I have OCD issues, hate messiness, hate people touching my things. I get angry/worked up waayy to easily :frown:

You would need to start applying for accomodation now if you still wanna go. I'd definately recommend it.

And yeah, at uni halls you will meet people you like or you don't like, but that's life.

Plus you'd have locks and security to protect your things. Most of it is about common sense.

If you've OCD you may want to see a doctor about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
If you aint got a dream, you aint got nothing.

Why do you want to go to university

Is it to study and gain a degree

If so, why does it matter if you need to live (at first) with family

You were advised on here to go and then later to look, with the support of the ISOC, for accommodation that will allow your parents to feel confident in your safety

I am a mother of a 17 yr old ... no religious or additional culture restrictions on the way we think ... I worry about her every time she goes out ... I am already worrying about her when she heads off to uni in 18 months time ... I trust her but I know what other people can be like ... if I (as a fairly liberal Mum) feel like this then I imagine that it is 100000% worse for your Mum

Losing your family will not be god for you in the long term ... I suggest that you take a step back and try to walk before running ... try to work with your Mum rather than treating her as the enemy
It sounds like you need to break away, I think its a good idea moving into halls as if you stay at home thats another 3 years under their clutches and its harder to move away after that go for it, im sure there are some finances you can gert

That is a good idea, just leave it until after the exam and then maybe try reasoning with them AGAIN :biggrin:
but hope everything works out for you :smile: xxx

Quick Reply