The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to move into halls without parents permission?

Scroll to see replies

move into halls! you are an adult you DO NOT need your parents permission and if you live with your strict muslim aunts you will probably have a worse time.

it's YOUR life, not you parents'.
You sound pretty whipped when my parents tell me to do something I just own them.
As someone from an Islamic background as well, I suggest you do your best to logically convince them that you're capable of living in student accommodation safely as a practising Muslim. Try to strike a few compromising arrangements, regular trips back home and meals with your aunt if possible. Think logically about whether it's possible to live independently financially, and if you think you can, affirm that you're an adult and able to sort your own life out.
Reply 23
Original post by Norton1
I don't think I can really tell you what to do, you know your parents better than I do. If they refuse to support you then basically you can't do it anyway.

If - as it seems - you've applied to less well recognised Universities because of your parents it might be worth taking a gap year and reapplying and maybe work on them in the interim. Would it be possible - even - to move into a private flat with only other girls or a one bed flat?

I'm happy with my firm uni and would love to go there:colondollar:

But, its 2 hours from my house and my mum wants me to live with my aunt in that area. I really dont want to. Due to family problems

I know my mum would never refuse to support me. So fingers cross that she accepts it. Thanks for the help
Reply 24
Original post by internetguru
You sound pretty whipped when my parents tell me to do something I just own them.

Rebel!!:tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately, my mum thinks its against islam to move into halls. Caue i need someone to protect me or something

I dunno if this is true

You Mum is an idiot then, isn't she.

And I know a couple of non-Muslims on my course who live with cousins in the same city throughout the whole 3 years.
Reply 26
Original post by Arusa01
This.

That's pretty normal for your parents to be worried about you, but they have to let you go and LIVE your not a child no more. I'm guessing you're a girl? Muslim parents are more protective of the girl than the boy. :smile:

Yeah I am.. I know its understandable. I just dont know what to say to them
Reply 27
Original post by reuse-this-bag
You Mum is an idiot then, isn't she.

And I know a couple of non-Muslims on my course who live with cousins in the same city throughout the whole 3 years.

Dont. Call. My, Mum. An. Idiot.
Reply 28
Original post by Bellissima
move into halls! you are an adult you DO NOT need your parents permission and if you live with your strict muslim aunts you will probably have a worse time.

it's YOUR life, not you parents'.

You completely understand where I'm coming from. My aunts are going to be 10 times stricter then my mum and treat me like a baby.

I'm sick of having to listen to them all the time. I should have applied to the unis I wanted to. Not the ones here or where my aunts live

Its just the whole financial thing. I know I'm an adult. But is it possible for me to support myself?
Reply 29
I'm sorry but what the hell... This is why I can't stand typical muslim families. You've been brainwashed and whipped to the point where you're not allowed to live your own life and make rational choices. Why anyone would want to live like this is beyond me...

I genuinely feel sorry for you and I hope you can sort this out.
Dont. Call. My, Mum. An. Idiot.

She is though isn't she, if she thinks moving out to halls is against Islam.
Original post by Rybee
I'm sorry but what the hell... This is why I can't stand typical muslim families. You've been brainwashed and whipped to the point where you're not allowed to live your own life and make rational choices. Why anyone would want to live like this is beyond me...

It's more a Pakistani culture thing to be honest. Some parents can be very backwards, it's quite embarassing at times.

Have you seen how many Malaysian students (especially females) come to the UK to study?

I bet you £20 the OP is Pakistani or Bengali.
Reply 32
Unfortunately, my mum thinks its against islam to move into halls. Caue i need someone to protect me or something

I dunno if this is true

Oh, I think that's if your a girl, your supposed to have a mahram around with you.
I don't know how people work it these days, but generally Muslim girls get a house together.
Reply 33
Original post by Rybee

I feel sorry for me too :frown: But I'm not brainwashed. I'm defo not listening anymore. Had enough,
She is though isn't she, if she thinks moving out to halls is against Islam.

K.
Reply 34
It's more a Pakistani culture thing to be honest. Some parents can be very backwards, it's quite embarassing at times.

Have you seen how many Malaysian students (especially females) come to the UK to study?

I bet you £20 the OP is Pakistani or Bengali.

I am a pakistani :biggrin: Yay
Reply 35
Obviously you can't just say "Screw you!" and do it anyway, you'll probably need their support over holidays and with finance.

If possible, tell them you'll apply for single sex accommodation, that the flats/corridors are secure, that you'll visit your aunt regularly or let her visit you. If possible try and get your parents to go on a tour of accommodation (not sure if they still run these this late).
Reply 36
Have you actually talked to them or are you saying what you think they will say?
Reply 37
Original post by Iqbal007
Oh, I think that's if your a girl, your supposed to have a mahram around with you.
I don't know how people work it these days, but generally Muslim girls get a house together.

So islamically girls cant live in halls. :confused: I want to be prepared when my mum pulls that line
Reply 38
So islamically girls cant live in halls. :confused: I want to be prepared when my mum pulls that line

As long as you got a mahram with you, you'll be fine.
But generally some can't, so they make sure they get a house with a bunch of other Muslim girls to look after one another.
I am a pakistani :biggrin: Yay

It's nothing to be proud of, I'm quite ashamed to be Pakistani.

Ah well, we can't choose where we're born etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending