The Student Room Group

FP1 OCR (not MEI) 1st June Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nathdragon5
Put very quickly:
1) the answer is only 2+i because of the arg being between 0 and pi/2. Only the 2+i will give an arg of this, -2-i will be in the bottom left of the graph, indicating that the angle is greater that pi/2.

2) for the last bit, the rule is as follows, if w^3 is the conjugate of z^3... ie if (z^3)* = w^3, then w = z*.

You have that w^3 is 2-11i, again relating to the arg of w being negative therefore 2-11i is the answer, not 2+11i as this would be in the positive region of the argann diagram.

So we can see that w^3 is the conjugate of z^3 and therefore w is the conjugate of z.

As z is 2+i, you use the conjugate of this to find out that w = 2-i

Hope that helped

thank you, it's so simple when you know what to do! i hope i don't get thrown off like that in the real thing.
Original post by cameron95
thank you, it's so simple when you know what to do! i hope i don't get thrown off like that in the real thing.

No worries, hope that was okay to understand :smile: if you're wondering in a question why they told you something, you've probably done it wrong :smile:
Reply 22
@NathDragon5

These answers are great. But I think there are a couple of mistakes in the matrix question.
For the final answer (finding X^-1)
I think you multiplied the determinant by -1 by mistake in the last part. Also I think the final value should be a^2-4 instead of a^2 +4.
But I could be wrong.
Original post by failco
@NathDragon5

These answers are great. But I think there are a couple of mistakes in the matrix question.
For the final answer (finding X^-1)
I think you multiplied the determinant by -1 by mistake in the last part. Also I think the final value should be a^2-4 instead of a^2 +4.
But I could be wrong.

I'll take a look, could be I just mistyped them :P
Reply 24
Quite possibly, but I am prone to making incredibly silly errors myself even after checking twice or three times.
Original post by failco
Quite possibly, but I am prone to making incredibly silly errors myself even after checking twice or three times.

Haha no worries, just found the paper
Original post by failco

Okay, in regards to the determinant, in 9 part i, I got it wrong by multiplying it all by -1. So in effect, the determinant should read -a^2 -9a +10.... I'll go correct it now.

Secondly, I seem to have mistyped that, indeed it should be a^2-4

Sorry!

Any other problems with the answers?
Reply 27
Hey guys, could any of you have loads of induction questions, mixed, such as matrices, summations, divisability, general terms etc. i know i am not talking for myself, there is loads of people that find induction hard, could any of you please help me as i will help you here is the paper for FP1 and mark scheme...
As long as you help me i will help you, i just need a tiny bit more practice with induction everything else i am quite safe with if any of you need help, bu first help me (i scratch your back if you scratch mine)(or something like that:tongue:)
Reply 28
Original post by Nathdragon5
Okay, in regards to the determinant, in 9 part i, I got it wrong by multiplying it all by -1. So in effect, the determinant should read -a^2 -9a +10.... I'll go correct it now.

Secondly, I seem to have mistyped that, indeed it should be a^2-4

Sorry!

Any other problems with the answers?

No I did the paper this morning and all our other answers are the same.
Original post by failco
No I did the paper this morning and all our other answers are the same.

Sweet, thanks for checking :smile:
edit, dbl post
(edited 11 years ago)
good resources are

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/onlinerevision.php

and

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20FP1%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf

I agree with Maphs, the only thing holding me back in some papers is induction, more specifically how far you need to go to "prove" something.
Reply 32
thanks, good luck for M1 tomorrow if you are doing it,
Reply 33
M1 was pretty easy IMHO 'Maphs'!
And ahhh guys I think i'm one of the weird kids who gets induction, but I HATE HATE HATE the roots of equations involving all the Alpha beta gamma stuff + substitution into them.. and the weird Loci stuff! Yeuck!

But yeah good luck guys :smile: P.S.

But also dude...
Original post by BobGreggary
Oh god don't tell me this! XD

If you like I'll send you this file I've made which basically has all the FP1 papers from 2012 Jan to 2005 June with all the questions organised into chapters (excluding Ch.1 which I've kind of mixed with Chapter 10).

Good luck with your studying regardless :biggrin:

Please upload this or whatever! It would help sooooooo much! It'd save me soooooooooo much time! Ha!
Original post by leej11
M1 was pretty easy IMHO 'Maphs'!
And ahhh guys I think i'm one of the weird kids who gets induction, but I HATE HATE HATE the roots of equations involving all the Alpha beta gamma stuff + substitution into them.. and the weird Loci stuff! Yeuck!

But yeah good luck guys :smile: P.S.

But also dude...

Please upload this or whatever! It would help sooooooo much! It'd save me soooooooooo much time! Ha!

Here you go :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014676&p=37802047#post37802047 I take no credit for this btw :smile:
Reply 35
Cheers man, Also I don't suppose you could help explain January 2012 10ii) ... I never get these smelly questions! ? :P
Reply 36
how are you meant to know if a series convergences after you have found an expression in terms of n, and if it does how do you find the sum to infinity? for example Q8 on the June 2010 paper (it doesn't ask for the sum to infinity but if you could explain how you would go about doing it that would be great)
(edited 11 years ago)
when you end up with your sum to infinity, a series will converge usually if n is on the bottom of a fraction, since as n approaches infinity the value of that fraction will get ever smaller, and so tends to another value

e.g 3 - (1 / n)

as n gets larger it tends more towards 3, so the sum to infinity is 3, it converges to 3.
Reply 38
Original post by crazymanny00
when you end up with your sum to infinity, a series will converge usually if n is on the bottom of a fraction, since as n approaches infinity the value of that fraction will get ever smaller, and so tends to another value

e.g 3 - (1 / n)

as n gets larger it tends more towards 3, so the sum to infinity is 3, it converges to 3.

yeah that makes sense. you just have to look at the expression think what will happen as n increases to infinity. thanks
Original post by leej11
Cheers man, Also I don't suppose you could help explain January 2012 10ii) ... I never get these smelly questions! ? :P

there are two ways of doing it, either by substitution method or my rearranging sum/prod/etc of the roots.

so say you used the substition method (assuming you know it...), you end up with
9y^3 - 45y^2 + 72y - 4 = 0

so you can see that c is -4/9

the other method takes a lot longer and for that question i wouldnt go for it...

edit::

i would also note that they confused by saying "The cubic equation x3 + ax2 + bx + c = 0", it could trip you up since usually the constant at the end signifies 'd' not 'c'
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending