The Student Room Group

Wash with sponge?

Scroll to see replies

poof ball.png

I use one of these in the bath/shower and a flannel if I'm just having a wash in the sink.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Clare~Bear
poof ball.png

I use one of these in the bath/shower and a flannel if I'm just having a wash in the sink.

Is that a photo of the actual one? Looks quite clean and well-maintained.
Original post by Fires
Is that a photo of the actual one? Looks quite clean and well-maintained.

No just a random one from the internet. I did replace mine a few weeks ago cos it was looking a bit grubby. But my mum does wash them in the washing machine every couple of weeks or so.
Original post by Dalek1099
Washing with a flannel is less hygienic because the flannel/sponge is old and dirty and washing with hands,with your hands is very hygienic because your hands have been thoroughly cleaned,by your soap and you often miss part of the sponge out,when washing with soap.
I don't understand this. The overwhelming majority of people who use these items will thoroughly rinse it out afterwards. Nobody wants to rewash themselves with old soap, so they will ensure it is clean for next time.
Reply 24
Original post by hannahwhelan
Shower-Sponge.jpg

I tend to use one of these bad boys

ye

Original post by Palatial Veranda
I use one of these

LCGT0003.jpg

Good exfoliator

that made me laugh +1
Reply 25
Original post by Clare~Bear
No just a random one from the internet. I did replace mine a few weeks ago cos it was looking a bit grubby. But my mum does wash them in the washing machine every couple of weeks or so.

You should always give your sponge a thorough soaking.
Original post by whyumadtho
I don't understand this. The overwhelming majority of people who use these items will thoroughly rinse it out afterwards. Nobody wants to rewash themselves with old soap, so they will ensure it is clean for next time.

Rinsing with water doesn't clean things and what do you mean old soap?-the soap kills bacteria and the sponge might not be fully covered by soap.
I tend to use one of those body puff things. Because they are mildly abrasive they leave your skin feeling cleaner in my opinion. Also they make shower gel go further.

IKEA do some nice ones in bright colours http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30171670/

I have never really considered whether they are more hygienic or not. You could rinse (or even wash) them after use if you really wanted to but I don't bother. Considering they're only 70p each from IKEA I throw them out quite often so they don't get a chance to get skanky.
I didn't realise this many people used sponges. Seems like a bit of a hassle and I can't imagine it's any cleaner.
Original post by F Ellen
What do you use when handwashing? Your hands, I expect. Just like medical professionals. It's perfectly adequate.

Hands are effective at cleaning on their own (with soap) without the aid of sponges or shower puffs. It is unnecessary to exfoliate every single day.

Nah, that ain't me. If I don't exfoliate daily I will look ashy no matter how much cream I use. It's something that affects many people of colour.
Reply 30
It would be good to see naked before and after photos, to demonstrate the comparative effects of cleaning with and without sponges.
Reply 31
Original post by Fires
It would be good to see naked before and after photos, to demonstrate the comparative effects of cleaning with and without sponges.

I agree, would you like me to email you the photos or what?
Reply 32
Original post by ROYP
I agree, would you like me to email you the photos or what?

I was calling for test results, not offering to run tests myself.
I use the one the West African lady put up from the blog. I'm Nigerian but really some people only use theirs hands? Baffling.

When i shower I tend to use a very drying soap with my sponge to take off all the oil and sweat and then use a coat of moisterizing shower gel rinse off. Dry and then moisturize again. When I ask my white friends there normal routine they don't physically get in the bath in the morning :O or moisturize when they get out of the shower. Black person no creame = black ghost.

Even if im late to school id count creaming a necessity

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Reply 34
Original post by Fires
I was calling for test results, not offering to run tests myself.

Oh... Well if you wanna give me your email anyway... just in case
Reply 35
I use one of these :-

For feet I use a puff as I find that brush type bristles too ticklish on the feet :tongue:

For face I use a microfibre soft sponge.
d3c920bd5aba55a8a6e1bb5603ac.jpg

I've had to use my hands when staying in hotels before now and I really don't like it, I'm just too used to using a sponge.
Reply 37
exfoli.jpg

I use one of those exfoliator gloves. I luuuurve it :smile:
Reply 38
Come on, it can't just be me who thought of this:

Original post by Dalek1099
Rinsing with water doesn't clean things and what do you mean old soap?-the soap kills bacteria and the sponge might not be fully covered by soap.
Then why did you suggest it is old and dirty? :confused: It will be clean providing it is rinsed thoroughly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending