The Student Room Group

Is 28 too old for 18?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 17 and I dated a 27 year old guy and it's fine.
Original post by malehappy
that 27year old is a perv! That's like you at 17, dating a 7year old!!!

Well no it isn't, because the ratio is different.

But in the interests of setting the standard SOMEWHERE, my view is, once you're 18 and therefore legally considered an adult, you can date whoever the hell you want.

Mind over matter: if you don't mind, it don't matter.
Since it's all legal and dandy, it's pretty much up to you to decide whether you'd feel comfortable dating someone ten years your senior. I've been in a similar position before where I once went on a date with a 30-year-old (I didn't know his age until that date) and I'm 20. He seemed nice but I only turned him down because I just wasn't attracted to him. If I had liked him though, I'm not sure if I'd have been brave enough to go for it or not, because that sort of age gap does seem quite big to me, but maybe I would have. However, since you are both adults then I don't really see how you couldn't at least try, even if it's just the one date you try :smile:
Original post by BillyBongos
Why isn't he dating people around his own age?! something fishy there

What is his age exactly? Once you're an adult there is no age limit - or is there?

He might just like younger girls than him.

Nothing wrong in 28 not that old just remember you need to know what you want for the future, he might want to start settling down soon... are you ready for that?
What did you decide to do? Im in a similar situation (with more of an age gap).
Reply 25
I'm in a relationship with a 23 year old, he's 6 years older than me - still feel the same about each other as we did when we first met over a year ago - it's all down to how you are and how you both get on, the biggest judges of age gaps (or age differences) tend to be those who either entered into them when THEY were far too young or those who never had them, you'll know when it's right, nobody else.
Saviola/Romanella.
Personally yes, I think it's too much of an age gap. He's approaching 30 - he's at a place in his life where he's been working several years and most of his mates are probably either in serious relationships or even engaged - most likely to women their own age or up to 4 years younger. You haven't even started uni yet (if you're going).
We can't determine whether he's a good or bad guy, but from experience - all high quality men I know in that age range are dating girls their own age, or at the very least in their twenties. Whenever I see a man going for a girl that young, they're looking for a quick bang or they have a reputation/difficulties dealing with women their own age. I know guys your age are immature, but you're better off going for someone in their early twenties still. He guessed your age to be 19 so he did not mistake you for being older - he knowingly goes for very young girls.
Like I said, we can't determine it for you, but this is my opinion.
Original post by idontthinkso
Saviola/Romanella.

Well, now that you mention that, I remember reading that Jonathan Ross started dating his wife when he was 26 and she was 16, and they're still together now after so many years. So I guess it just goes to show, that it really can work for some people :smile:
I think it's okay, 10 years isn't that bad, be careful, but he might actually be more mature! Let him take you out a few times before you decide!
I was in almost exactly the same situation you are in. I got chatted up by a guy, he was nice kind charming attractive. He asked me my age, (i'm 18) he was 28. He gave me his number but I didn't contact him back. We would have nothing in common, he has miles more life experience than me in different areas of his life. I kept thinking too, if it was reversed (not that I would be chatting up people) but if I was 28, I couldn't go out with a 18 year old, I'd feel creepy and strange. Ten years is a big difference, if you did date him and you were still with him when you're 20, he'll be 30. When you're 25, he'll be 35. I don't know, it's upto you if you are ok with the age gap.
Reply 31
why should it be too old as much as 48 is not to old for 38?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending