Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carbon atoms in a hexagonal structure

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Consider carbon atoms arranged in interconnecting regular hexagons (shown below);

I'm asked to find how many atoms there would be per m^3. I would find the area of the hexagon, divide 1 by it and times that number by how many atoms there are per hexagon.

However, the answer confuses me. It says "Since each carbon atom is shared between three hexagons, there are effectively two full carbon atoms per hexagon".

I'm not sure how to make this link. I understand every atom is shared between three hexagons, but I'm having a hard time visualising how that equates to 2 atoms per hexagon, can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How would you go about adding a hexagon to the top of that image?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the way I would look at it is that if you look at any vertex of the central hexagon, you see that it is shared with an additional two hexagons. Thus this hexagon 'owns'  \frac{1}{3} of the vertex, or,  \frac{1}{3} of an atom. This can also be said of each of the vertices in the hexagon. So, to count up the number of atoms in the hexagon we need to take into account that the atoms are shared, so the total number of atoms in the hexagon is  6\frac{1}{3}=2

Hope this helped
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    Consider carbon atoms arranged in interconnecting regular hexagons (shown below);

I'm asked to find how many atoms there would be per m^3. I would find the area of the hexagon, divide 1 by it and times that number by how many atoms there are per hexagon.

However, the answer confuses me. It says "Since each carbon atom is shared between three hexagons, there are effectively two full carbon atoms per hexagon".

I'm not sure how to make this link. I understand every atom is shared between three hexagons, but I'm having a hard time visualising how that equates to 2 atoms per hexagon, can anyone help?
    Hey, the diagram you have there isn't that good for showing what you want to show; it's a bit confusing.

The diagram you want is this one:

Spoiler:
    Show

Can you see that each carbon is bonded to three others, with 120o C-C-C bond angles?

Each hexagon has 6 carbon atoms. Each carbon atom is at the centre of three hexagons. Therefore, you do 6 / 3 = 2 carbon atoms per hexagon.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Starting your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.