Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ubuntu install help ?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am trying to install ubuntu on my laptop for school but have no idea how I can do this ?
    I have the cd but I'm not sure how to install or will it be compatible with my laptop ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanej13)
    Hey I am trying to install ubuntu on my laptop for school but have no idea how I can do this ?
    I have the cd but I'm not sure how to install or will it be compatible with my laptop ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Are you wanting to install it alongside windows/Mac OS or a fresh install (deleting everything)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not familiar with ubuntu at all. But installing a program with a cd is really simple. Just put the cd in your laptop. Click on install if there is a popup. If not, go to my computer and look for the cd drive with the cd in it, then right click on it and choose install/run/something similar. Then simply follow the instructions on the screen.
    Again, I don't know what ubuntu is.. so disregard my comment if the installation process is different than it normally is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can install ubuntu as a secondary OS so you can dual boot the computer. This basically enables you to select what OS you want at start up.

Just download Ubunut and burn it on disc, and then download a program called Wubi. It will help you install it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm late, but for what it's worth, there's a comprehensive install guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

As for your other question, Ubuntu should be compatible with any laptop, provided the laptop has at least 64mb of RAM and about 5gb disk space (these are the minimum, though; you'd ideally want more).

Just off the top of my head, if you have Windows, then you can install Ubuntu via Wubi (a Windows installer). This allows you to install Ubuntu from within Windows, so you can use both operating systems without needing to partition your hard drive, so there's no risk of data loss. On the other hand, if Windows fails at some point, you won't be able to boot either OS from the hard drive. (I assume you'd still be able to use a Live CD, and you'd be able to access your data by mounting the relevant partition, but you'd lose your settings.)

(If I've made any glaring errors here, Ubuntu-users should feel free to correct me; I run Puppy Linux, not Ubuntu, so my info is second-hand.)
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go and follow this

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...u-with-windows

The download link is here (Windows installer for Ubuntu Desktop)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.