The Student Room Group

What are the most effective Hayfever tablets available

Scroll to see replies

why expose yourself to drugs with side effects every year? get desensitised to the pollen then no more allergy!
Reply 21
Original post by allergynurse
why expose yourself to drugs with side effects every year? get desensitised to the pollen then no more allergy!

Is it covered by the NHS?

Where I live it's very expensive (around £8,000 for the two-year treatment) and time-consuming.
Reply 22
Original post by lilza
I use Benadryl (cetirizine hydrochloride) for my hayfever, and it's usually pretty effective. Of course it doesn't totally alleviate the symptoms, but there's a definite improvement.

I believe my Dad still takes that. It had unpleasant side-effects on me so I didn't take them again. I've been taking Claritin for the past three years and it's worked wonders.
Yes the immunotherapy tablets are available on NHS prescription, They cost about £80 per month and its a 3 year course so some GPs balk at the idea and refuse to prescribe but you could challenge it as it is freely available in other parts of the UK through the NHS.

Original post by WokSz
Is it covered by the NHS?

Where I live it's very expensive (around £8,000 for the two-year treatment) and time-consuming.
Reply 24
Original post by WokSz
I believe my Dad still takes that. It had unpleasant side-effects on me so I didn't take them again. I've been taking Claritin for the past three years and it's worked wonders.

That's good to know, I'll look into Claritin!
I've had good results with acrivastine :yep: I'm currently using prescription antihistamines though which get the job done (with the side effect of putting me to sleep :tongue: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james3334
I suffer really bad from hayfever, I usually buy the cheap Tesco brand ones but they are not working at all... Does anybody know which brand tablets are the strongest and most effective?

Thank You!

Tesco never works for me either, so I got some prescription ones from the doctors and it went away. Try that :smile:
Thats what I thought until nothing worked at all - not even hayfever tablets. All of them are the same and have the same ingredients.

What I did was I put all of my duvets, pillows, curtains, net curtains and covers all in the wash (separately of course) at 90 degrees (60 degrees for the curtains and net curtains) and I am now allergy free! I don't get sniffles, no coughing, sneezing - nothing! It was dust mites!

Posted from TSR Mobile
you can get tested (skin prick test ) or blood test (specific IgE) to determine the allergens causing your allergy. ask your gp or go private if u have health insurance

Original post by Butterfly92xo
Thats what I thought until nothing worked at all - not even hayfever tablets. All of them are the same and have the same ingredients.

What I did was I put all of my duvets, pillows, curtains, net curtains and covers all in the wash (separately of course) at 90 degrees (60 degrees for the curtains and net curtains) and I am now allergy free! I don't get sniffles, no coughing, sneezing - nothing! It was dust mites!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Best hayfever tablets I've ever taken was the antidepressant mirtazapine. I had zero hayfever symptoms for the 4 years I took it (I actually thought I'd grown out of hayfever) but when I stopped the mirtazapine the hayfever came back. It's also good for helping you sleep.

All antihistamines work by blocking histamine (specifically H1) receptors, which mediate an allergic response, and blocking these receptors (especially the ones in the brain) cause drowsiness - that's why some antihistamines like chlorphenamine (Piriton) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be drowsy.

Certain antidepressants - including mirtazapine - and antipsychotics also work by having a sedative effect (among other mechanisms) (by blocking the H1 receptors in the brain), but in doing so, they also block the H1 receptors elsewhere in the body, which are responsible for mediating an allergic response. That's the reason why you weren't affected as much by hay fever whilst on mirtazapine. :smile:

Bear in mind, though, that mirtazapine is a prescription-only-medicine, and is not licensed for use in allergic conditions, so doctors will be highly unlikely to prescribe it for hay fever.
Reply 30
Piriton that usually works for me
I also use Fexophenadine 180mg for hayfever that mostly affects my sinuses. It is available on the NHS. However, it is still not totally effective for me in addition to the sinus wash and antihistamine/steroid nasal spray.
It really depends on the individual (hence the availability of so many different medications).

Piriton and cetirizine are the only ones which work for me. Loratidine and fexofenidine do nothing whatsoever. Some people will find that the reverse is true.

The only way you can really find out is by trying different medications and seeing what works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest